Someone Like You
Grade : B-

I don’t read too many sports romances but I appreciate any story where a character must come back from either personal or professional defeat. In Someone Like You, footballer Pierce Harrison has to abandon the game he loves due to a tabloid scandal in the UK that tarnishes his image with his fans and the club he plays for. Retreating back to his family’s home on Long Island, it isn’t long before his fame gets him roped into volunteering with a local youth soccer league. There he’s matched up with coach Abby McCord who is unimpressed with his celebrity. Finding fulfilment in teaching the kids and connecting with a woman who doesn’t want him for his fame is a completely new experience for Pierce. It makes him take a closer look at the man he wants to be versus the walking scandal the public believes he is.

Football (or soccer to us in the USA) plays a big part in putting Pierce and Abby together but it’s a very small part of their relationship. Pierce’s reputation as a womanizer puts Abby instantly on alert that his feelings aren’t sincere. She also has to overcome feelings of inadequacy from being dumped by her fiancé because she wasn't enough for him. Pierce wants to rebuild his name in footballing circles but rediscovers what he loved about the game by keeping it simple with the kids he teaches. He matures by returning to his roots and making peace with his family’s expectations, in a way he never did during of the years he was away playing in Europe.

Some poor choices Abby and Pierce make late in the story hurt my final rating; however I did find enough to enjoy that I’ll be looking for more from Jennifer Gracen and this series.

Reviewed by Sara Elliott
Grade : B-

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : November 1, 2016

Publication Date: 04/2016

Recent Comments …

Sara Elliott

I am a Fan-girl extraordinaire and romance addict. When I’m not obsessing over a fictional hero from a book I’m probably obsessing over a fictional Super-hero from the movies! I have long appreciated Romance stories and the escape they provide from all the dramas in real life. Historical Romances are my favorite (who wouldn’t want to be swept away by a handsome, rich English nobleman); however I love discovering new authors and stories in any romantic genre as long as the description sounds interesting. I’m living my own happy-ever-after in Phoenix, AZ (yes, it’s a dry heat!) with my two kids and my real-life hero.
Subscribe
Notify of

3 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x