AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does it bother you when someone dislikes a book you love?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why does it bother you when people like a book YOU don't like??

One of the reasons I do sometimes chime in when everyone is praising a (IMO) bad book is so that others who also hated it feel free to give their opinions. It sometimes feels very lonely, being the only one who dislikes something when everyone else is praising it to the skies.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
xina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Schola, there's also a diff between continuing a

This is what I don't get about the Wild Wild West board, either. Clearly we all come in with strong stances...Very few minds will be changed. Oh well, I guess the human race is just programmed to be argumentative...especially those attracted to internet boards Wink

Yes Gail, but have you noticed that board has been very quiet lately. I think it's interesting...and telling, in a way.
As for books, I don't think people like to argue. Well, maybe some do, just for the sake of it. I still think that taste has a lot to do with what people love in books, what they go to time and time again. There was a discussion here and someone posted that taste has nothing to do with it. I beg to differ, or argue the point. Laughing It is taste for me and I like what some like, hate what some love. I don't try to understand it.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
Quote:
Why does it bother you when people like a book YOU don't like??

One of the reasons I do sometimes chime in when everyone is praising a (IMO) bad book is so that others who also hated it feel free to give their opinions. It sometimes feels very lonely, being the only one who dislikes something when everyone else is praising it to the skies.

I agree. It's nice to get that same opinion. Sometimes when there is praise going on and I don't agree, I wonder if I've missed something. Then someone comes on that has the exact same reaction. Makes me know I didn't fall asleep while reading and skip a few chapters. It's a sigh of relief.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

Yes Gail, but have you noticed that board has been very quiet lately. I think it's interesting...and telling, in a way.

Honestly, I don't find this board any quieter than when I've checked in periodically the past year. Did I really miss any fast-and-furious debates?

I need to be entertained to continue posting. Either I get it from others or I suppose I provide it myself Wink
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Honestly, I don't find this board any quieter than when I've checked in periodically the past year. Did I really miss any fast-and-furious debates?

I can't recall any specific passionate debates in the past, necessarily; but the message boards are definitely more quiet now than they've been in a while. It's not only quiet; many of the threads themselves are not ones very conducive to heated discussion. Perhaps that's why TMB thread revived so well. Or even a couple of the question-threads that dick began.

But bottom line is that this is a romance fiction site and we're here basically to discuss those kinds of books. Thank goodness, we also talk about other books occasionally, too. So the subject matter of the threads stem from romance fiction; and there are only so many related topics remaining (if any) that haven't been center stage at one time or another.

As far as new blood--well, we can't reach out there and grab them and force them to post. But I won't let that stop me from continuing to input here because of that. I enjoy the site a lot; and if only the regulars choose to stay on board, that's not my decision. I like a lot of the regulars! Laughing
xina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
xina wrote:

I need to be entertained to continue posting. Either I get it from others or I suppose I provide it myself Wink

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the WWW board has been quiet lately...as in this last week. As for the board, as a whole (the rest of AAR) I guess it's a little quieter than it has been years past, but nothing drastic.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the WWW board has been quiet lately...

At first I thought you meant WWW= World Wide Web and I thought, oh my goodness, I don't know what xina is smokin' then I realized you meant Wild Wild West.

Well, I myself am getting a little tired of ME so I'm going to shut up for a bit and see what fills in the newly opened potential space -- as much a part of message boards as in "live" discussion -- I firmly believe.

-Gail
xina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I thought you meant WWW= World Wide Web and I thought, oh my goodness, I don't know what xina is smokin' then I realized you meant Wild Wild West.

Well, I myself am getting a little tired of ME so I'm going to shut up for a bit and see what fills in the newly opened potential space -- as much a part of message boards as in "live" discussion -- I firmly believe.

-Gail[/quote]

LOL, Gail. When I wrote that I thought it looked like that too! Anyway, I think this is mostly a friendly board, so it's hard to go to Wild Wild West board/forum and talk politics. In this election there are very few gray areas. It's hard to discuss a favorite book with a poster, then go over there and throw barbs at them or get them thrown at you. So, I'm just going to observe, I think....over there.
PatW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To return to the discussion of liking/not liking books that others have the opposite opinion of - a remark was made on the review board about not being able to "get past the writing" - that is, being always conscious of the authors choice of words or sentence structure (or dialect to mention another thread) that one cannot get immersed in the story itself. I had not thought of describing my reaction to certain books in this way but I think it an excellent reason for not liking certain authors!
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatW wrote:
To return to the discussion of liking/not liking books that others have the opposite opinion of - a remark was made on the review board about not being able to "get past the writing" - that is, being always conscious of the authors choice of words or sentence structure (or dialect to mention another thread) that one cannot get immersed in the story itself. I had not thought of describing my reaction to certain books in this way but I think it an excellent reason for not liking certain authors!

This is one of the big ones for me. Right off the bat, I can tell you that one of the reasons I don't care for any books by Julia Quinn is because I can't get past her style of writing, especially her dialogue. Another author I gave up on because of her writing style is Jacquelyn Frank. I think her Nightwalkers series is inventive and interesting, but I can't get past her frequent info-dumps and exposition-heavy style. And I read a Naomi Bellis book about a year or so ago that I hated for any number of reasons, but one of those was because her writing, while technically very sound, was too rigid. It was correct, but it lacked rhythm and flow.
KathieO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say that I am pretty cautious when approaching any blog sites since the "attack" characteristic in many people's personalities scares the "bajeezes" out of me, and, if I feel particularly vulnerable that day, can let it ruin my day. That said, I lurked around here for a couple of years before I made a post! I love, love, love romance novels in most of the genres, and particularly enjoyed reading posters' opinions here!! Everyone seemed pretty respectful and particularly smart writers (which isn't the case on all boards as you know Wink)! Of course we all do a LOT of reading . . . !

As for whether I care if someone has a difference of opinion on a particular book and whether it bothers me, I'd have to say no. Our individual perspectives on life is why one author will resonate with me and not at all with someone else. (As Dr. Phil says (yeah I like his psychology) - "There is no reality; only individual perspective." This statement is particularly applicable to reading fiction IMO and how we will each relate to any given story. I also find there is always enough other posters who do like what I like to support my "normalcy," so to speak. Very Happy I.e. I posted re: my dislike of "The Windflower," and posted for support of the "Bride Hunt Ball" recently. One a classic and clearly loved (I'm in the minority), and one a new author with issues, but style that I believe could be developed further along my taste lines. Although there were posts both ways, no one attacked me personally for either, and if they had I would have been surprised if it was personal enough on these boards to really get to me.

Mostly I'll just say the general traffic of people here have somewhat intimidated me a little in the past because of their overall intelligent point of view (negative or positive), but now that I've had a few posts, they are just as supportive regardless of the side of the debate, if the post is respectful. Alternatively, everyone will seem to not be too supportive of those who post outright attacks Smile That's why I particularly like these boards. (They are nurturing (tee hee) . . . even if I do come across as less than Einstein (Steinbeck?, err Austin?!)! Laughing )
Kass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at least you outdo the author of "The Eye of Argon," almost universally seen as the worst science fiction story ever written... Very Happy And so do I!

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
dick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that taste determines whether we enjoy reading a particular book. For example, I enjoy reading one or two of Connie Mason's books. But, even though I enjoy reading her books, I know, even while reading them, that were I called upon to make a judgement about them, that judgement would be primarily negative.
kspears

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnít bother me if I like a book that no one else likes, what bothers me is I usually canít remember why I like a book or why I donít like a book. I read so many books that by the time some one brings that book up on a review book, its three books in the past. Iím one of those people who will say, ďI love that bookĒ and not remember why. Iím also one of those people who put a grade on their books and the reason is my faulty memory. When I first started reading books I would stick those little gold stars from grade school days on them. Eventually all I ended up with was a floor full of stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: