AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Books by Favorite Authors...comparisons added

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Favorite Books by Favorite Authors...comparisons added Reply with quote

The latest set of polling results for Favorite Books by Favorite Authors just went online. Some of the lists really surprised me, like Julie Garwood's which changed quite a bit (Guardian Angel, for instance, fell off the list, and it was high up on my own!). Anne Stuart's list, as Cindy highlighted when she sent the results on behalf of all the pollsters, features six of her more recent titles. For many authors with long-lived careers, that's generally not been the case. And, on a more personal note, that Susan Mallery's The Marcelli Bride made the list out and out shocked me as it "won" for Worst Hero and Least Believable HEA on my ballot, and also stayed on the interim results list for Biggest Wallbanger through much of voting.

Please be sure to check out the results in their entirety.

Just added...a page comparing these updates to the lists from 2006.

CindyS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys what do you think?

We had a great turn out for voting so thanks to everyone who voted!

How do the results compare to yours?

Are you sputtering in rage that a title made it that you thought was *gasp* horrendous or even dare I say, just mediocre?

Being an Anne Stuart crazed fan-gir - uh - reader, I can safely say that I don't get Prince of Swords being on the list. And I'm really surprised that Nightfall made the list! I mean, I enjoyed it but I would think most people would run screaming from that book. I actually thought Ritual Sins was a gentler book. Yes, yes, the hero was a con-artist but, uh, he was gentler.

Cause he wasn't a convicted murderer.

Of his wife and kids!! (yeah, that's right, now those of you who haven't read Stuart are wondering aren't ya Wink)

And where is Moonrise!? I loved Moonrise!

But I was pleasantly surprised to see her latest book Fire and Ice on the list. It was an excellent read and I think most readers who find Stuart too dark would enjoy this one. Also knowing that her fans appreciate her newer releases just as much as her older classics makes me very happy.

Think about some of your favorite authors. Look at this round of authors. Are they still writing books that excite you?

CindyS (pollster)
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Inspired Reply with quote

Based on a pdf file that Lee prepared of this re-poll as compared to 2006, I was inspired to go to the Internet Archives and pull pages all throughout time from our very first poll. I've begun to put together a table of comparisons, and sent a zip file as well to all three pollsters to see what they come up with. Look for something at some point, but not now. While we've done many re-polls this year, we'd like to do others before doing any real analysis of this feature over time.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whole purpose for voting was to add The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs to the favorite's list and it didn't make it. Funny thing is that it was on the 2006 list. It's probably my third favorite all-time romance so I wanted to see it listed so other readers will find it and hopefully enjoy it as well. Anyway, it got me to vote for other books and other authors and most of them made the list. I think it's the one book I included that was excluded.
Oh well.
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Voting Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
My whole purpose for voting was to add The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs to the favorite's list and it didn't make it. Funny thing is that it was on the 2006 list. It's probably my third favorite all-time romance so I wanted to see it listed so other readers will find it and hopefully enjoy it as well. Anyway, it got me to vote for other books and other authors and most of them made the list. I think it's the one book I included that was excluded.
Oh well.

I don't know that I've ever voted just to get one title in, but it's rare when I have votes for more than four or five authors in a go-round. I was bummed out when Guardian Angel fell off the list - I think LinnieGayl was, too.

I think, though, I was more bummed out that an Anne Stuart title made the list that I thought was pretty sub-par for her; Prince of Swords. Don't get me wrong - I was happy that Black Ice, Cold as Ice, To Love a Dark Lord, Ice Storm, A Rose at Midnight, and Lord of Danger made it. But surely there are better titles by her than Prince of Swords. I haven't read it, but I'd hoped to see just about anything else in its place.

Having spent some time this afternoon creating a table to compare lists for various authors over time, I'm pretty excited about whatever project the pollsters create out of it.

As for Susan Wiggs in particular, I was glad to see Summer at Willow Lake do so well.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Oh well.

Karen: The You I Never Knew finished in 13th place for Susan Wiggs. Close!
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie's right, I was really sad that Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood didn't make the list (it was 13th). I was also really sorry that Castles ended up in 12th place; I kept hoping it would place much higher.
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Castles Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Laurie's right, I was really sad that Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood didn't make the list (it was 13th). I was also really sorry that Castles ended up in 12th place; I kept hoping it would place much higher.

LinnieGayl -

I've always been surprised at how well Castles did in prior polls; it doesn't surprise me that it's so low on the list. A lot of readers gave up on Garwood with The Gift, which came right before Castles. What actually surprises me is that The Gift scored as high as it did.
CindyS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Castles was a tough book for me to love. I found the hero fought too hard and in the end I didn't believe he loved the heroine. Course, I would have to do a re-read to be sure and maybe I also preferred her Scots men. Loved her heroes!

I loved The Gift and really, my love of Garwood didn't start to falter until The Rose book and then Prince Charming (didn't feel like a romance)

Guardian Angel - if it's the one I'm thinking of was darker than most of her books. Or was this the one where the heroine was a pirate? If it's that one then yeah, it was good. The one I'm thinking of was where the heroine and her young brother survived the slaughter of her family. The hero in that book was as gentle. (there's that word again)

KarenS - I also vote to try and get one of my 'off' titles on the list. Some of us readers are off the well trod path and would love it others found those books we've stumbled upon.

Cindys
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
KarenS wrote:
Oh well.

Karen: The You I Never Knew finished in 13th place for Susan Wiggs. Close!

Susan Wiggs has written so many wonderful books. I was glad to see that Lord of the Night made the list as it was my 2nd choice. Do you think books reviewed here have a leg up with the voting process?
CindyS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen - I hadn't thought of that but I would think it's a possibility. Afterall, us AAR readers are a savvy bunch and we want to spend our money wisely. So a book that garners a B and higher would be more likely picked up by readers than one that gets a C or lower.

Also, the idea behind the Favorite Books by Favorite Authors is for readers who haven't tried author X and want to know where to start. Seeing a list of 12 books gives a reader a large collection of books to try. So it's possible that new readers of the authors we poll - on the next round of polling would list the same books that were on the poll the first time around only in their preferred order.

Thanks Karen - hadn't thought of that correlation. May have to use it when doing some poll comparisons!

CindyS
kspears

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my all time favorites, which I always vote for but never makes the list is Anne Stuart's "The Houseparty". It's from the beginning of her career (1985) and I believe it's written in first person, published by Fawcett. If anyone runs across it at a second hand store, it's worth a read...It's a light-hearted quick read.
MaryK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kspears wrote:
One of my all time favorites, which I always vote for but never makes the list is Anne Stuart's "The Houseparty". It's from the beginning of her career (1985) and I believe it's written in first person, published by Fawcett. If anyone runs across it at a second hand store, it's worth a read...It's a light-hearted quick read.

Cool! I have that book in my TBR pile.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CindyS wrote:
Guardian Angel - if it's the one I'm thinking of was darker than most of her books. Or was this the one where the heroine was a pirate? If it's that one then yeah, it was good. The one I'm thinking of was where the heroine and her young brother survived the slaughter of her family. The hero in that book was as gentle. (there's that word again)

Cindys

Cindy, Guardian Angel is the one where the heroine is a pirate. I love that book, and so wanted it to make it into the top 12.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Susan Wiggs has written so many wonderful books. I was glad to see that Lord of the Night made the list as it was my 2nd choice. Do you think books reviewed here have a leg up with the voting process?

As Cindy said, I hadn't thought of that either. It's possible that before readers fill out their ballots, they do a power search of any authors' books here and then read the reviews. At that point, they might think (no matter what the grade): "I LOVED that book!" or "That was Ms. Author's worst book" and then add the title to their list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: