AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Does it bother you when someone dislikes a book you love?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DearEvette



Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 195

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't mind if people don't like a book I like or vice versa. I like a good pro/con discussion of a book. And I like a wide range of opinions especially if they are well thought out and there doesn't seem to be a ground swell of supporters/detractors on one side who feel the need to shout down the opposing opinion.

I do get a little peevy though when a person questions my right to like (or not like) a book. It is weird but sometimes it is like "How dare you not like this book..." As if i am somehow obligated to like it because they do.

I've come across this most recently in discussions of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I really disliked this book. Really. And some of the responses I got were .... unhinged.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Allyson



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 567

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 'Twilight' seems to be one of those books/series that makes people go a bit...loopy. There are a few series' like that in romance that haven't crossed over, but with Twilight because it's pretty mainstream, it's really noticeable.

I find it really fascinating, actually, to see which authors get a cult following to the point where the fans are SO upset when someone dislikes it. There are plenty of popular series' whose fans either don't seem to care either way, or consider it a good thing that they're a 'select minority' who appreciate the author.

With 'Twilight' (which was fine, but I don't love it...easy read, fun, got plenty of flaws) there's this really manic 'it made me believe in love, if you don't love it you're heartless' tinge to some of the fans though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schola



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allyson wrote:
Yeah, 'Twilight' seems to be one of those books/series that makes people go a bit...loopy. There are a few series' like that in romance that haven't crossed over, but with Twilight because it's pretty mainstream, it's really noticeable.

I find it really fascinating, actually, to see which authors get a cult following to the point where the fans are SO upset when someone dislikes it. There are plenty of popular series' whose fans either don't seem to care either way, or consider it a good thing that they're a 'select minority' who appreciate the author.


That's also true for books like The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I've read both but appreciate them differently from Rand's major fans, fellow Objectivists, and from what I can tell, they can't bear even a drop of my "heterodoxy." Laughing

I've also run into one Anne Rice fan who insisted that my reading of her Interview with the Vampire was completely wrong and that his was the only right one--but that's probably not the same thing.

Perhaps these reactions most common in novels or series featuring complex world building or realistic stories on an epic scale?
_________________
"To be in a romance is to be in uncongenial surroundings. To be born into this earth is to be born into uncongenial surroundings, hence to be born into a romance." (G.K. Chesterton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chiricahuagal



Joined: 07 May 2008
Posts: 210
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sorta hesitated to revive this old thread, but then I saw the "has everything been said" post and thought.... maybe... maybe there was something left to be said on this topic...

This is a sort of corollary to the OP's question - I'm on a Quest to read all the AAR Top 100 books for 2007, and frankly when I read one I don't particularly like, I sorta wonder if there's something wrong with ME. Why don't I like this book that everyone else loved so much? Why don't I see (or feel) what everyone else did? Was it my mood when I read it?

In fact I even hesitate to name names, but there are a couple of very popular authors - popular in that many, many people recommend them on several forums and blogs, praise their books, and vote them in favorite lists - that I think, uh, are not good. At all. Not even a little bit, in my opinion. And I think - how can my opinion be so off? I read 6 titles from one author before deciding I really do not like her work and should not waste my time any more. It wasn't the genre (like vampires) - it was the writing. It only took me 2 books on another before I thought, nope, not going there again.

Now, when someone just takes a dislike to one book that I love, that's one thing - the latest rant on Dear Author about Linda Howard's Death Angel, for instance (It's titled "a rant" - that's not my characterization) - I loved Death Angel, but this person found it dreadful and demeaning to women on several levels. Ok, I didn't read the same thing into the book she did! But I'm ok with that. Her experience and analysis were completely different from mine. But I admit it's a very controversial story with hard-to-love protagonists, and I can see some hating it and some loving it.

I just wondered if anyone else reacted like I do. I mean, 1 book maybe but when everyone LOVES an author (in a genre I normally love)... and I don't... in fact when I wonder how anyone can even bear to read past page 3...
_________________
Melinda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 289

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiricahuagal wrote:
I just wondered if anyone else reacted like I do. I mean, 1 book maybe but when everyone LOVES an author (in a genre I normally love)... and I don't... in fact when I wonder how anyone can even bear to read past page 3...


I don't think their is any book that everyone loves. But if the supporters are vocal then the detractors don't post or vice versa. I still like Laurell K but I don't post on her because no-one wants to hear it.

I think what annoys me is when people are so definitive about a book. Often posts read "this book was terrible" instead of saying "the book really didn't work for me". This is especially true when its a bestseller, because someone has to like it, a lot of someones, and that means it can't be all bad.


Last edited by Yuri on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PatW



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 638
Location: Central Maryland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiricahuagal wrote:
I sorta hesitated to revive this old thread, but then I saw the "has everything been said" post and thought.... maybe... maybe there was something left to be said on this topic...

This is a sort of corollary to the OP's question - I'm on a Quest to read all the AAR Top 100 books for 2007, and frankly when I read one I don't particularly like, I sorta wonder if there's something wrong with ME. Why don't I like this book that everyone else loved so much? Why don't I see (or feel) what everyone else did? Was it my mood when I read it?

In fact I even hesitate to name names, but there are a couple of very popular authors - popular in that many, many people recommend them on several forums and blogs, praise their books, and vote them in favorite lists - that I think, uh, are not good. At all.... It wasn't the genre (like vampires) - it was the writing....

Now, when someone just takes a dislike to one book that I love, that's one thing ....

I just wondered if anyone else reacted like I do. I mean, 1 book maybe but when everyone LOVES an author (in a genre I normally love)... and I don't... in fact when I wonder how anyone can even bear to read past page 3...


Thanks for bringing this distinction to the question. I have no difficulty understanding or accepting the single book reaction. In fact I enjoy seeing different interpretations to something I either love or don't. I also have no problem understanding the like/dislike of a genre. For instance, I've never particularly "taken" to the vampire/werewolf thing.

However, your point is about the "writing" and I would like to explore this a little. I've made an assumption that the genre and the basic setting are not the problem. For example, the In Death series is not universally loved, but most who write that they do not like it have reasons relating to the character development (or lack thereof) or the focus on the mystery/futuristic setting etc and not the "writing"....

Is it stilted (to you) language? Grammer? Too much description, too many POV's? Humor or attempt at it that doesn't do it for you? Is it even something you can pinpoint?

Of these things I mention, I do not particularly like books full of lengthy passages of descriptions - whether these are of location, dress and other social aspects, history lessons, etc. I'm also not a fan of the "sweeping family saga" type of book, but I would class this almost as a sub-genre.

Since I'm not currently trying a list of new authors, I'm a bit at a loss to name one that I do not read for a particular reason relating to their "voice" or style.

Thanks for bringing this up
_________________
When in doubt, read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chiricahuagal



Joined: 07 May 2008
Posts: 210
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it stilted (to you) language? Grammer? Too much description, too many POV's? Humor or attempt at it that doesn't do it for you? Is it even something you can pinpoint?


That's just it - in one particular case - ok, I'll name a name here. Stephanie Laurens - it is and it isn't the grammar. I mean, it is the grammar but it isn't so much that she's breaking the rules, because that is done to great effect by good authors all the time. It's that I found it so jarring that I cannot even go on. My first Laurens was an audio book, and frankly I thought the poor narrator needed to get a clue - why did she have these odd pauses and then pick up a sentence as though it were a new paragraph? Not just once or twice, but over and over and...

Then I read a hard copy and realized - OH because it's actually written that way... Gah. Once, maybe several times, maybe that would work for me. But as I paged through the book, facing endless hours of reading chopped up sentences and trying to have them make a story for me, I just decided I couldn't face it. The deal breaker for me was all the seizing lungs. I feared for the heroine's respiratory and cardiac health too much to go on.

Obviously other people find her stories mesmerizing and moving. Many other people. Not me.

On the others... well, I'm just not sure what it is about them that makes me dislike them. And that is sort of my point - I just don't like them. I finish it and put it down and look around thinking - "someone loved this??" And since I don't see the attraction, it makes me wonder what I am missing. Was it my mood that day? Are there subliminal things going on inside our heads when we read that make us like or dislike certain styles, certain topics, certain... I dunno, characterizations?

Do any readers take notes while reading so they can go back and pinpoint things? I don't do that - I just barrel through to the end. Sometimes I know as I'm reading it that I'm liking it or not. Sometimes I change my mind at some pivotal point, even the end, so that I end up liking or not liking a book. Nowadays I'm journaling my thoughts after I read - almost in an attempt to understand what makes me like/dislike a book. I also like to read reviews after I've finished to compare my reaction to others, partly because I find others sometimes put into words what I am feeling better than I can.

My taste in Romance is so varied that I cannot say it is any one particular thing - in my 5 star romance list are historicals, contemporaries, suspense, comedy/humor, books with a ton of graphic sex, books with less than kisses - I've discovered that what I like is a good story that makes me feel what the characters are feeling. The "how" is what I do not understand completely.

It's just something I ponder about, so reading through this thread made me decide to see if I'm alone in wondering about it.
_________________
Melinda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynda X



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 1410

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know just what you mean when you say that some (or many) authors appeal to a great number of people, but they do nothing for you. Somehow, with food, we're able to just shrug off that chocolate, for instance, doesn't appeal to us (I wish!), but somehow, it's different with books. Because we love our books like friends, many of us find it difficult (and often hurtful) when someone REALLY doesn't like one we love.

As those of you who read my postings know, I'm not a woman of tepid tastes. I don't ever post about those author that just don't appeal to me, but I do get into "rants" about those who make me mad. If an author has characters, settings, conversations, and plots that I don't like, that's okay. But if an author displays racism (which I've never picked up, but I can see how others object to the portrayal of Indians, for instance) or sexism or lapses in ethics, I often post here. If I hurt people's feelings, I am sorry, that's not my intent which is to have a discussion. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier sometimes to criticize than it is to pinpoint exactly why something was appealing. This forum is the only place I have to discuss romance books; my friends universally disdain romances--but I love them (the romances and the friends!) anyway.

About ten years ago, my old stand-by authors had burned out, and I was about to give up romance, not having read anything good in a long, long time. Then, I discovered the Amazon reviews which helped a lot. My romance reading REALLY improved when I found this wonderful, wonderful site!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cora



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 1127
Location: Bremen, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's only natural that there will sometimes be an author (or a film or a TV show) that is wildly popular and yet does nothing for me whatsoever.

One example from the romance genre is Susan Elizabeth Philips. She is highly regarded and obviously a fine writer. Yet with every book by her that I tried (three altogether) I had serious issues with characters acting either like idiots and jerks. I finally decided that she just simply is not a writer for me, probably because her books are too American for my taste.

A non-romance example is science fiction writer Charles Stross. Again, he is a highly regarded author and has been nominated for lots of awards. His books are full of great ideas, but the characters and their relationships, including the romantic ones, strike me as so unbelievable that I sometimes wonder whether he has ever met a real living human being before.

It is perfectly okay not to love an author that others love. Where it gets problematic is bashing not just a book/author others love but also bashing the fans of said book/author for having poor taste and being idiots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PatW



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 638
Location: Central Maryland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiricahuagal wrote:
Quote:
Is it stilted (to you) language? Grammer? Too much description, too many POV's? Humor or attempt at it that doesn't do it for you? Is it even something you can pinpoint?


That's just it - in one particular case - ok, I'll name a name here. Stephanie Laurens - it is and it isn't the grammar. I mean, it is the grammar but it isn't so much that she's breaking the rules, because that is done to great effect by good authors all the time. It's that I found it so jarring that I cannot even go on. My first Laurens was an audio book, and frankly I thought the poor narrator needed to get a clue - why did she have these odd pauses and then pick up a sentence as though it were a new paragraph? Not just once or twice, but over and over and...

Then I read a hard copy and realized - OH because it's actually written that way... Gah. Once, maybe several times, maybe that would work for me. But as I paged through the book, facing endless hours of reading chopped up sentences and trying to have them make a story for me, I just decided I couldn't face it.


Interesting observation - I was in the middle of reading Laurens' latest Edge of Desire. After reading your post, I really noted the sentence fragments -I hadn't particularly before; I think it's because I read quite fast and tend to make the words run together ignoring (or overruling?) the punctuation. I DEFINITELY think that if I had to listen to this in audio format with a reader who observed the periods, commas and new sentence starts with "appropriate" pauses I would scream and tear off my ear phones too! As it was i had to make a concios effort to get back into my reading "flow" Wink .
_________________
When in doubt, read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schola



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread has been revived, I'm suprised that the fans of The Marriage Bed haven't chimed in about that.
_________________
"To be in a romance is to be in uncongenial surroundings. To be born into this earth is to be born into uncongenial surroundings, hence to be born into a romance." (G.K. Chesterton)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gail K.



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 1292

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
Since this thread has been revived, I'm suprised that the fans of The Marriage Bed haven't chimed in about that.


Because it doesn't bother me when people don't like a book I like. I may need to correct misconceptions, but to each her own. Or his own. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amanda



Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 289
Location: the midwest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiricahuagal wrote:


It's just something I ponder about,


This is something completely off-topic so I apologize.

My husband says I'm the only person he knows who 'ponders' anything. Everyone else just thinks about things. Is this a Romance reader issue? Do other people ponder things?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4210
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda wrote:
Do other people ponder things?

Since ponder means to think or reflect on something (maybe sometimes a bit more deeply), IMO, no matter which word you use, it's really saying basically the same thing. When I'm writing something, I really hate to keep using the same word too many times, so I look for synonyms. So, perhaps you do a similar thing and "ponder" is just another word to use instead of "think" all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 2483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whit! Ego, I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group