AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming Fall Movies to Watch for
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Upcoming Fall Movies to Watch for Reply with quote

Just saw some ads for upcoming fall movies: Ghost Town with Greg Kinnear and Ricky Gervais (premise sounds spooky-dentist that can communicate with the dead but looks lively), Burn After Reading with Brad Pitt, George Clooney and John Malkovich (previews make it look like a spy version of Ocean's 12), and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (previews remind me a little of Ferris Bueller, at night, with romance) and of course Twilight. Any other movies you are excited for?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Women - remake of the 1939 film; no males appear on screen

Kay
xina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Australia looks good with Kidman and Jackman. As for the other films mentioned, I can not wait to see Burn After Reading and Ghost Town.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I think Australia looks good with Kidman and Jackman.

I'm a tad hesitant about this movie. Russell Crowe had the Hugh Jackman role first but stepped down over a salary dispute. When I watch the movie I'm going to be thinking what he would have done with the role. In my opinion, Russell is a MUCH better actor than Hugh.
LFL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really looking forward to Clint Eastwood's new movie, "Changeling." I have enjoyed the last few movies he has directed, "Mystic River," "Million Dollar Baby," and to a lesser degree "Flags of our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima." I think Eastwood has grown into one of the best directors around.

"Changeling" stars Angelina Jolie as a mother whose kidnapped child is returned to her and who then begins to suspect the boy isn't really her son. John Malkovich also stars.
Jane G

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
The Women - remake of the 1939 film; no males appear on screen

Kay

I actually saw this on Friday night. I haven't seen the original, but from what I understand it was much, much better than this version. I didn't particularly care for this movie. The dialogue was a bit trite, and tried to be witty but failed in several regards, and it bore unignoreable similarity to Sex and the City-- the two main characters, Mary and Sylvia, even LOOKED like their SATC counterparts.

I am most looking forward to Twilight, but I also want to see W, The Lucky Ones (I saw a trailer for that-- it looks like one of those great movies that you sob through), Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, and Burn After Reading.
Cora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, The Women was something of the Sex and the City of its day, so certain similarities are to be expected.

I haven't seen the new version yet, but I have seen the original. And while the actors (oddly enough, Norma Shearer is the weakest, even though she is the star) and design were top-notch, the story was very dated. Which is only to be expected with a movie based on a play from the 1930s.

Which is why I wonder why we need a remake at all. The story itself is dated. I sincerely doubt that the new version has actors of a calibre comparable to Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Norma Shearer, Marie Dressler, etc... And fashion and design will definitely not be up to the standards of Adrian and Cedric Gibbons. So really, what is the point?
Jane G

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thematic similarities are expected, but should the four characters be almost carbon copies of each other? Each character in "The Women" has a clear doppelganger in SATC, personality-wise.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane G wrote:
Well, thematic similarities are expected, but should the four characters be almost carbon copies of each other? Each character in "The Women" has a clear doppelganger in SATC, personality-wise.

Maybe SATC was the copycat of the earlier?

Kay
xina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
xina wrote:
I think Australia looks good with Kidman and Jackman.

I'm a tad hesitant about this movie. Russell Crowe had the Hugh Jackman role first but stepped down over a salary dispute. When I watch the movie I'm going to be thinking what he would have done with the role. In my opinion, Russell is a MUCH better actor than Hugh.

Oh, yes...Crowe does intense drama so well. He is the best. Jackman is a good actor, but seems to do more slush films than Crowe. Still, he can be intense too, so I'm still holding out on this movie. However, you are right Lee, about Crowe. I'll probably be thinking of him the role too. Darn it.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is set to come out right before the Xmas holiday but I've been looking forward to THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON for a while, even more than THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, also set to be released around the same time.

Here are links to initial info and photos!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421715/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/
xina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
This is set to come out right before the Xmas holiday but I've been looking forward to THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON for a while, even more than THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE, also set to be released around the same time.

Here are links to initial info and photos!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421715/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/

Yes, how could I forget TTTW? In a way, I am looking forward to it, but another part of me is cringing that they will spoil a novel I hold dear. As for Benjamin Button...Brad Pitt is really branching out isn't he? It looks interesting.

adding this.... (Bana and McAdams)

http://popsugar.com/slide/2019515
Gail K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so weird looking at photos of scenes from TTW!!! I know what you mean, xina. I'll be watching this movie on tenterhooks.
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Time Travel Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a preview yet for Time Traveller's Wife? I had forgotten about it.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Travel Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
Has anyone seen a preview yet for Time Traveller's Wife? I had forgotten about it.

Just did a search and no previews available yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: