AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vampire Knight--Just WOW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estelle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Vampire Knight--Just WOW Reply with quote

I read a lightening review of that manga several months ago on a blog but I forgot all about it until a few weeks ago when I stumbled across the anime version of the story on the net.

Now, I'm not a fan of mangas. To me it's always been an awkward cross between a book and a movie. Something that I'd find difficult to read. I never understood the attraction...until now.

I watched all 13 episodes of the first season and I was hooked on the story. I could only find the japanese version with english subtitles. Not a dvd in sight yet. From what I understand it'll come out after the second season has aired and I for one will be all over it.

I bought all the tomes of the manga already available (they've been translated) and I've been reading and re-reading them regularly. The artwork is just gorgeous. The emotions just flow on the page.

To give you a short (well kind of short )synopsis.....

Yuuki is a prefect at the Cross Academy. She's the adopted daughter of the Chairman there. The Academy is unique in that it has both a Day Class and a Night Class. All the Night Class students are vampires, a thing that must be kept a secret. They've sworn not to drink the blood of humans but Yuuki and her best friend Zero patrol the grounds and act as Guardians to preserve the peace and harmony.

Yuuki's memory is faulty. She cannot remember anything that happened before her fifth birthday. The last thing she remembers is being attacked by a rogue vampire and then saved by Kaname, a mysterious pureblood vampire. A few years later Yuuki's adopted father brings home an injured boy: Zero. Yuuki and Zero are brought up together. They're very close.

Kaname has become the leader of the Night Class. He's a pacifist with an agenda of his own. He's older and more powerful that the others. Yuuki is infatuated with him but thinks he's out of her league. At the same time something's going on between her and Zero. She sees him as a friend but it's clear that he's got stronger feelings for her. Not to mention that something weird is happening to him and he's having troubles to cope.

Thus starts one of the best love triangles i've ever read about. For one thing I have absolutely no clue who Yuuki will end up with (the series isn't finished yet, it's about halfway through) and also, for the first time I find that I'd be okay with whomever she chooses. I don't really have a favorite. That's how great all of the characters are.

When the story opens it's very character driven. A "huit clos" as we say in French. But the story is gaining in scope with each new chapter. This isn't a mere vampire romance. We're starting to see more of the world outside the academy and all the mind and power games being played. Every one is pretty much grey here. This is not a sweet story, although there are some very funny scenes too.

This is marketed for older teens and adults but IMO this is more of an adult story even if most of the characters are in their late teens (they don't act like it actually, they seem much older). This is a story about vampires and the author shows us fangs and blood and death. It's much darker than Meyer's Twilight series for example, and much more intense. There's also a kind of subtle erotism in both the manga and the anime that's more suitable for adults. It's nothing blatant, in fact there's hasn't been any sex so far. It's all in the set up of the scenes, the movements.

I should also add that there's a kind of taboo that's heavily featured later in the manga (the anime hasn't gone this far yet). I can't reveal what it is because it's a huge spoiler. Seriously, I never saw it coming. It's better to discover it by yourself.

So I just wanted to post about this because I thought that it would be the cup of tea of many romance readers.

I hope it's okay if I post a few YouTube links to show you what it looks like.

*This is a music video of the Anime which showcases the love triangle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMLK7lXx6uE&feature=related

*This is a Zero video which I like a lot. The emphasis is on the Zero/Yuuki Relationship here (I couldn't find a Kaname/Yuuki video that I liekd enough to link to though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw5_GiL7JDE&feature=related

*And this is a short video which mixed the anime, manga and colored illustrations. It shows some of the amazing artwork done by the author of the manga (you'll see what I mean by subtle erotism in this video) so it's well worth a watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruy5n0r6aro&feature=related

I'm hooked on Vampire Knight. The second season of the anime is debuting next month in Japan and I can't wait. Devoted fans post a subtitled version the episodes on YouTube as soon as they come out. You'll be able to find the episodes of the first season too if you're interested. The quality isn't the best but it's perfectly watchable. I hope the dvd will come out soon. I can't wait to watch it my bigger tv screen.

EDITED to add:
I just found another video I like. The song used is a longer and different version of the one in the link just above (it's called poison). It's got a good mix of action and romance and will give you a better idea of the series.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Yy0r7WzKY&feature=related
Gail K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, Estelle. I'm *very* interested. Where can I buy/find the first season?
Estelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail, the first season of the Anime isn't available anywhere on DVD with english subtitles yet. I think they're waiting until the second season has finished running in Japan until they market it for english speaking audiences.

You can find all the episodes, subbed, on YouTube. Each episode is 24 minutes long and is divided in two or three parts parts.

Here's the link to part one of the first episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5deAYbYUZw

You can buy the manga on Amazon, it's easily available. The Anime is very close to the Manga but there are a few differences of course. Some things were added and some things cut out. On the whole I think it's a great adaptation.
Estelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another well done video I just found: it showcases the love triangle perfectly. The song used is Mr Brightside. A lot of the videos I found were made back in April when the Anime had just come out so the footage was still limited. This one was done a few weeks ago and has more varied scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5T3dqMRXE&feature=related
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Estelle. I may just get my younger brother to download (and watch!) all available episodes when he gets back for Xmas. There are sites where you can get high-quality subs but it's beyond my technical abilities. He's our family anime/J-drama fanatic and I've been exposed to many a series through him. Plus I enjoy marathon viewing Very Happy

-Gail K.
luteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Paradise Kiss Reply with quote

Another great Anime is Paradise Kiss. I've read the Manga and got the movies from Netflix. It is about fashion and has a great bittersweet first love story.
NB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last anime series, if I recall correctly, that I devotedly watched and waited for the fansub to come out each week was Mushishi (2005-2006). Here's an overview of the series (anime) on wiki (there is a spoiler under 'Characters').

The soundtrack by Toshio Masuda is lovely and IMO, suits the mood and colours. Some of my favourites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g9gWbu5300 (This is the soundtrack version of the ending theme of episode 1 and gets slightly 'waltz-ish' towards the end. The anime version is 'quieter' and partially accompanies a scene, also in ep.1, that still makes me smile albeit in nostalgic way.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BdjdVxaL_0 (The ending theme of episode 10, I believe)

One of the scenes that still stays with me until now is in episode 12 when Yoki chases after another character. There is something about the way the seiyu calls out 'Nui!' that Iíve probably watched the scene more than five times)

I'm a bit behind on the manga though, and I hope to rectify that. Soon. *sigh*
LizJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Vampire Knight from a number of sources...I sure hope it gets a US distributor and an English dubbed release soon (or at least an English subtitled release). These aren't good days for anime in the US (unlike about 5 years ago, when it was much more visible and available).

BTW, Mushishi is playing on the Funimation Channel now (I'm not sure which services carry it other than FIOS). The animation is quite nice, but I'm typically not all that drawn to series that are made up of stand-alone stories with little or no recurring characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: