AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twitter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Twitter Reply with quote

I took the plunge today based on what Cindy S (one of our pollsters) had to say about it, and joined Twitter. Basically it boils down to this: I'm nosy and didn't want to "miss" anything. Right now I do these forums, my blog, AAR After Hours, Shelfari, and Facebook, primarily, although I check in on MySpace every few days (both for my own page and for AAR's page, which I now moderate), and Books iRead and Visual Bookshelf - through Facebook - every week. I gave up on GoodReads right after joining it.

Because postings are limited to about a sentence, I don't know that this will work at all for me, but after seeing how many people I know are Twittering, I thought I'd give it a try. I was surprised, but I just got off the phone w/one of my nieces, who's in college, today, and neither she nor her older brother, also at that same college, knew what Twitter was. My response? "Oh, please! You're like, so, 2005!" Wink

Who among you Twitters? Have any of you tried it, and then abandoned it? Right now it's about 50/50 that I will.
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Twitter, although I was skeptical at first. It's kind of like an ongoing watercooler conversation, but without the commitment of blogging (I've pretty much given that good fight up for good). I can take a five min break from the writing and check out what's going on with the peeps I'm following; I can follow the links embedded in their messages or not, if I'm so inclined, or not.

But the limited message framework keeps me sharp and focused and from being long-winded (not that I have a problem with that, oh no Rolling Eyes ).

I do NOT use it as a promotion tool, BTW. Not that I don't mention when I've put an excerpt up or whatever, but this is far more social -- for me -- than business. It's just fun. And sometimes I don't think we have enough just plain fun in our lives. Wink
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand the appeal of Twitter. I would be po'd with people, even friends, interrupting my workday all the time. This is why I never got into IM or text-messaging. I prefer email, voicemail, and discussion forums, like this, when I can come in and out at my convenience. And I've expresed previously my feelings about blogs Wink There is nothing that urgent that cannot wait and I do not need to talk constantly with other people. Guess I'm sooo year 2000!

I work with young people a lot and sometimes I feel they should just go ahead and get an implant in their brains so they can be in constant communication with their friends and the outside world. They have BIG problems being alone and silent.
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Karen Templeton on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'd never use Twitter with a phone or somesuch that would allow the interruptions. That would drive me bonkers, too. (Not that I have far to go. Laughing ) I just use it on my computer, checking whenever I feel like it.

Or whenever I hit a snag in my work-in-progress... Wink

Karen T.
http://www.karentempleton.com
Jane G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't know any college students that have it, so I haven't bothered. None of my friends use it, besides those associated with AAR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: