AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sour Grapes or did I miss something

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Sour Grapes or did I miss something Reply with quote

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/downey-talks-dark-knight.html

The above URL is to a quote from Robert Downey Jr. about Dark Knight. Now, I did not feel this film was as great as many, many others apparently have but I found it a bit unprofessional for Downey to just slam a competitor like that. I'll admit, I also liked Dark Knight a lot more than Iron Man. Bruce Wayne really grappled with the whole idea of vigilantism and whether or not what he was doing with the *best* thing -- Stark (the Downey character) remained a cowboy throughout the film, with lots of spur of the moment decisions.

Anyway, here is the quote:

Quote:
"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so [expletive] smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? [Expletive] DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

Back to my original point: very unprofessional, imo. Gives me a lot less desire to see Iron Man II.

maggie b.
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Dark Knight either. I don't think actors should be barred from giving their opinions.

That said, I do think he could have used a scriptwriter, if that's an exact quote. He misuses grammar very badly and doesn't state a reasoned opinion.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sour Grapes or did I miss something Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

Back to my original point: very unprofessional, imo. Gives me a lot less desire to see Iron Man II.

maggie b.

Sorry, maggie, but you were expecting professionalism? From Robert Downey Jr? Who sometimes failed to show up for work during his drug problems and got arrested enough times that companies refused to insure a movie that hired him?

I just get annoyed because if Robert Downey Jr. actually were a black man instead of a popular rich white celebrity, his cumulative drug arrests would put him in jail for the rest of his natural life. I know I should blame the system, not him, but it's hard. Until a Robert Downey Jr. gets that twenty-five year prison sentence, America is not going to notice. It's like Rock Hudson getting AIDS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: