AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Runway...first episode of the season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Project Runway...first episode of the season Reply with quote

Well, what did you think of episode one of the new Project Runway season? I was glad that the top two were who they were, and can see why she won instead of him (because she used so many different items, and so cleverly...like the hook and eyes out of a notebook binder/spiral). I didn't see what the big fuss was, though, about the woman in third place. Still, it was great to watch after looking forward to it for so long.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy Project Runway is back. I really thought the winner did a clever job, with all of the dyes, coloring, etc. she did on the coffee filters. And the hook and eyes? Wow! Very nicely done.

I thought either of the bottom two could have gone home. But, I was probably happy the guy (jerry?) went home, since he was so confident in his abilities, and so snarky about everyone else's designs.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Very happy Project Runway is back. I really thought the winner did a clever job, with all of the dyes, coloring, etc. she did on the coffee filters. And the hook and eyes? Wow! Very nicely done.

I thought either of the bottom two could have gone home. But, I was probably happy the guy (jerry?) went home, since he was so confident in his abilities, and so snarky about everyone else's designs.

Yes, the winner really came through with a lot of imagination in her design. As for the loser...the guy who made the wedding nurse/killer (complete with rubber gloves) thing, I'm not sure his was any worse or better than the garbage bag "dress". At least the guy attempted to make something resembling a garment. Even though it was laughable...so funny when Heidi asked where a person would wear that and he answered, "A night on the town." Hee....
I'm so happy PR is back even though it cuts into my Ghost Hunters.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. I WANTED him to go home in the very beginning when he started bragging about already doing good, like he didn't need the show. Then he started making comments about the other contestants, I was so hoping for elimination for him. And even though I didn't like the garbage bag woman, she was SO whiny Rolling Eyes, I figured she'll go home pretty quick since she only has one style.
My Husband and 10 year son are actually the sew masters at our house. My son does Odyssey of the Mind competion every year where he needs to design and implement a costume all on his own to go with a skit with a group of other kids. This year ONE of his attempts was with a garbage bag (His character was in the circus and was a dynamite freak). He also goes to Theatre camp and has to make his costume for the play at the end of the week. This years teacher kept using Tim's expression of MAKE IT WORK and telling the kids about the show. My son wanted to watch the show so we watched together and when it came to the garbage bag lady he kept saying It's NOT going to work. I know mom, it's not going to work. He was rooting for her to get kicked off. BTW, my kid's group won the regional competion and placed 4th in state. Very Happy cheri
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to join in the conversation here, as I've been watching this show more steadily than I used to.

I thought last week's show -- where the designers were supposed to be inspired by a night time photo they took of something in NYC -- really got the winner wrong. I hated that lavender/green dress which reminded me of something from the 80's from the waist up, with the poofy shoulders and high neck -- something, for instance, that they would have worn on Dynasty or Falcon Crest. While, below the waist, the skirt looked like it belonged on top of a lamp in a 10 year old girl's bedroom. It doesn't help that I'm not too fond of Kenley, the designer, either. She almost seems as affected as Blayne and Suede.

Their preference:

The outfit I thought was the winner, did get top three recognition, but it really should've won. It was chic, elegant, and very attractive. Even Heidi said she would wear it right as it is, right now.

My preference. Look at that skirt. The designer was inspired by a manhole cover; I thought Guggenheim:

On the other hand, I think they were right to find fault with Emily's dress. I was sorry to see her go, but the dress looked like something Carmen Miranda or Charo would wear. What boggles the mind is that they didn't give equal feedback to Blayne, whose dress was similar to Emily's. I can understand where they might see Blayne's dress as a more updated version with an edge. But Blayne's designs, thus far, have made me think more of Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus than haute couture.

The two outfits I could see myself wearing, in that they might suit a regular-sized woman, with her non-glam regular life, was Korto's all black, loungey jumpsuit and Suede's metallic colored dress with the gold accessories.

Anyway, can't wait to see what's going to happen tonight. If this show were only about personalities, than Blayne, Suede, Stella and Jerell would have this wrapped up as they are the ones that either make me roll my eyes or laugh out loud.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandylynn, thanks for the great post! I completely agree about last week's winner. I think they had it completely wrong, and should have gone with the manhole cover-inspired skirt and top (very clever).
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree too. I couldn't BELEIVE they picked that 80's throwback. And what was so ironic is that was the first thing they said to her. looks like something from Dynasty. And then they went and picked it! I LOVED the black outfit even though I'm not that excited about that contestant, she still deserved to win. I have no favorites so far but am enjoying the show. I can't understand how the whiner is still on there though? cheri
jebe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They kept Blayne over Kelly Shocked . I've decided that I'm just not in sync w/what the judges think is fashion. Although, I do think that if Kelly had owned up to her design not being on the mark, instead of trying to serve Daniel up to the cut, they might've kept her. I don't know, I just keep being surprised every week.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand Kenley. I'm not in love with her designs and her personality sucks. I loved that the judges pressed her on why she was laughing at the answers her "less fortunate" colleague was giving to the judges. I hope karma bites her on the ass.
cheri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah Karma, what a wonderful thing. I've missed the last 2 weeks so I really don't know what's going on but sounds like it's been interesting and confusing all in one. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
I can't stand Kenley. I'm not in love with her designs and her personality sucks. I loved that the judges pressed her on why she was laughing at the answers her "less fortunate" colleague was giving to the judges. I hope karma bites her on the ass.

I thought that was quite rude too. Geesh...grow up already. Little does she know, she looks like a fool in front of millions of people.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am remiss not to talk about the latest episode where the designers had to come up with a "drag queen" outfit which would appeal to their client as well to a theatrical esthetic. Much, much fun.

But I just had to post the interview from the losing designer of the episode before last. Kelli, speaking about her loss designing for Brooke Shields, "business woman" and her character on the TV show, "Lipstick Jungle." Can we hear a ME-E-O-O-W! Or, maybe a HISS! HISS!

Here's a link to the site, but here also is the interview....

Kelli: I Am an Island
Quote:

Bravotv.com: What do you think were the most important aspects to creating a successful design for this challenge?

In my mind, it was to execute a look as close to what was pitched as possible. Any stray away from it would leave us up to ridicule from the judges.

Bravotv.com: Have you ever seen Lipstick Jungle/Are you familiar with Brooke Shields' character?

I have never seen Lipstick Jungle, but my grandma has watched it. I always assumed it was a cut-rate Sex in the City. Brooke Shields? Sadly, all I know about her are her Postpartum Depression issues, not much real work since the early '80s.

Bravotv.com: Were you excited to have her as a judge? What would having your design on the show have meant for you as a designer?

To be honest, I found it hard on the show to be like, "OOOOH MYYYYY GODDD!!!! It is her!!!!" Celebrities are just people. I hate to inform America, but I guess I could have "played the game."

Bravotv.com: Why did you pick Daniel? How was your collaboration? If you had the pick of anyone, who would you have chosen?

I tried to choose someone that I thought could execute the look that was pitched. It wasn't mindblowing construction work by any means, but I was afraid that if I picked Stella, I would have to possibly send her down the river if I was in the bottom. I should have picked Stella ... less drama, more appreciation. Daniel was pissed from the start because he was picked second to last. "F" him. Other people obviously noticed his insecurity. If I could have chosen anyone from the beginning??? I would have picked Leanne, Stella, or Jerrell.

Bravotv.com: Would you have preferred to work by yourself? Do you generally prefer working by yourself?

Working alone is key to me. I hate relying on others to finish and wondering if it will be right. I tend to get annoyed easily, and I usually shut off so that I don't explode on my partner. Granted, some partnerships are great, but working with Daniel was kind of like working with the town drunk dressed in a fancy suit ...

Bravotv.com: What happened with the skirt in the end? Were you happy with the final product after Daniel redid it?

When I first the saw the skirt I was like, "Oh, so you are completely giving up? Or is this how you work and that is why your garments are never finished?" I was trying to be nice, but I was pissed man ... to say the least. I felt as if I was going to have to do the entire thing alone, so I had to speed up my pace! In the end it came together, but it took ALL DAY for a pencil skirt. The initial one didn't work because HE chose poor fabrics that didn't hold up. Sorry Mr. Impeccable taste, but just because you look the part, doesn't mean that you can do it.

Bravotv.com: The judges' comments questioned your taste level -- what is your response to that?

Simple. Our taste levels are different. Mine is on the wavelength of appreciating fashion, but also realizing that the majority of it comes from people like me. My generation is much different than the 50-year-olds judging me, particularly the different subcultures. You might think that you know what the kids are wearing, but you don't. You know what rich kids are wearing, and honey, we aren't all going to the Oscars. So the slam on taste was a joke. Nice try man. We didn't all come from money and weren't able to use that "in" to make us somebody.

Bravotv.com: Were you surprised by the judges' comments?

Was it wrong and out of line? Yes. Was I surprised? No. You could see it on their faces. They didn't care what I said to defend myself; their minds were made up. Never in the bottom, won the first challenge, but NO!!!! "You are no good now, off with your head!"

Bravotv.com: What did you think of the other designer's designs?

Ehh. Jerell and Stella should have won. I didn't really like any of the designs personally, but look who we were designing for. The teenybopper version of Brooke should have gone though. But I guess Blayne had more "integrity" than I did, sooo, yeah.

Bravotv.com: What have you been up to? Where can your fans find you?

I couldn't be more overwhelmed, honestly! Since I have a storefront, I have a public place that people can come check sh*t out. I just launched my Web site, anti-label.com with new clothes to follow very soon! I have traveled all over speaking to people about how to "rise up and overcome," as well as trying to avoid attacks over my celebrity at the local malls! I would have a mental breakdown if I made it to the top, I can barely deal with all of this craziness! At the end of the day, PR is a reality show, and I know it is based on more than good designing. I look at it as another crazy adventure that has happened, and now I am ready for something new and exciting!
cheri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been so buzy around a house project this summer I seem to always miss this show and catch a redo later. I Loved the Drag Queen theme too. Too funny. I was exhausted and only watched until they were all in their outfits for the show. So who won? and who went home? I was actually surprised to tune in and have Kelli be gone. She seemed alot better than some but after reading that interview, I wonder. cheri
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
We have been so buzy around a house project this summer I seem to always miss this show and catch a redo later. I Loved the Drag Queen theme too. Too funny. I was exhausted and only watched until they were all in their outfits for the show. So who won? and who went home? I was actually surprised to tune in and have Kelli be gone. She seemed alot better than some but after reading that interview, I wonder. cheri

For those who haven't seen it, the one who is given their walking papers in the Drag Queen challenge, is....
Quote:

Kelli's arch nemesis in the Brooke Shields' challenge, her partner in crime, Daniel!!!!
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ Brooke Shields, "business woman" and her character on the TV show, "Lipstick Jungle." Can we hear a ME-E-O-O-W! Or, maybe a HISS! HISS!

Here's a link to the site, but here also is the interview....

Kelli: I Am an Island
[quote]

Interesting stuff. I liked Kelli and was sad to see her go. However....I think her comments were out of line as to the "50yr. old judges". Who does she think willl be buying her designs...18yr. olds? She needs to get a clue. That said, I think Brooke Shields had no idea as to what would work for her. I don't watch her show. Have to agree with Kelli that I think it is a sad attempt at trying for another Sex In The City. Brooke Shields obviously has people dress her. She was like a fish out of water trying to judge the designs. The dress that Jerrill and Stella did was wonderful and she was saying..."I don't like the belt"...they just ignored her and remarked that the belt was fabulous. Not much of a Brooke Shields fan, although I do sympathize with her on her coming out about postpartum depression. As for the drag queen episode...I really hated that anyone was voted off because those pieces were basically costumes, and not fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: