AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do you get your news?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Where do you get your news? Reply with quote

Just curious but with so many options open, where does everyone get their news?

I can't stand talking heads and have very little time for TV, so I find myself getting it from the Internet. When I log on every morning it is all right there and I can pursue those stories that interest me. I get exactly what news I want when I want and don't have to wait for "weather on the 8's" or whatever. It also just feels more natural for me to read information and this is a nice way to do it without having papers stacked up in a corner waiting for recycling. I have a friend who keeps CNN on all day (I can't, it'd interfere with my reading Very Happy and thus gets her news as she goes about her daily chores.

So what about everyone else?

maggie b.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) local newspaper
2) local public radio stations: WHRO & WHRV. They have daily local and
NPR reports, especially WHRV
3) national news magazines: Time, Newsweek, U. S. News & World Report
4) local TV stations
5) some national news programs, but nothing regular

ETA: 6) internet articles

Kay

Last edited by KayWebbHarrison on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeeB.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Internet
2) Radio (like very brief reports)
3) Newsweek magazine

I only buy the Sunday newspaper.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online mostly from nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com, www.slate.com.

CNN sometimes although I cannot stand the sanctimonious Lou Dobbs. Anderson Cooper - hot, though. So is Matt Lauer, surprisingly, from Beijing...sockless loafers and all. Sorry this reply derailed into anchor eye candy. Wink

-Gail
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my news primarily from our morning newspaper. Sometimes I'll pop over to MSNBC on line to catch up on world news. I rarely watch TV, so that's probably the last place I would get news.

Good question, maggie. I'm sad because the "quickie" news TV headline and brief report has replaced reading the "whole" story. Not that the newspapers state the facts entirely true all the time; but I believe they care less these days, because fewer people read newspapers. Newspaper reporting was a class act at one time and had a good reputation. I don't think that's necessarily the way it is now. IMO only.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: News Sources Reply with quote

1) The Washington Post (daily) and The New York Times (Sunday only).
2) NPR during my morning and evening commute. I also like it when I leave at odd times for doctors' appointments or whatever and get to listen to Diane Rehm or Terri Gross.
3) Online, but rarely

One of the reasons I like a real newspaper is because as I scan the page I discover all sorts of stories I wouldn't otherwise read. Web versions are great for directed searches, but as I'm reading the hard copy paper, looking for stories about the economy or the weather or whatever, I then see stories about what's happening in Argentina (which I then read because my son lived there for six months) or Amtrak (which I read because I worked there years ago) or other things I hadn't thought to look for. I also wind up reading stories totally unrelated to anything I'd have thought I'd be interested in but which turn out to be fascinating. Online versions are great for when I want to read about a specific topic and possibly to go the links for additional information. So a lot depends on whether I want to be a hedgehog or a fox that day.

My husband sent me a link to an academic article that said that since the advent of the Internet and academic journals that now only appear in soft copies, that fewer articles are now referenced in journals and bibliographies are shorter. It used to be that a researcher would find something of interest as s/he looked for a specific article and might discover a whole new avenue of research. But now that people use the search engine to find what they are looking for, serendipity doesn't occur with as much frequency as it used to.
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Given up locally Reply with quote

Recently we gave up on the local Dallas newspaper and started subscribing to the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday NYTimes. We read them in their entirety during weekend visits to Starbucks. During the week I watch some CNN, some MSNBC, and read everything from Reuter's to the NYT to the BBC to the Washington Post, depending on what's up and what catches my fancy. I never watch network morning news shows anymore because there's basically no news on them - and don't watch them in the evening either. I used to also watch Keith Olbermann religiously, but he got too sexist for a while. Of course, he's not straight news, but I like his POV, and I watch him now about half the time, which I balance with the McLaughlin Group on Sunday mornings. And I read Time and Newsweek cover to cover, and occasionally U.S. News & World Report. Finally, I generally tune in to The Daily Show and Steven Colbert for a fun look at the excesses of news and politics.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Given up locally Reply with quote

LLB wrote:
Finally, I generally tune in to The Daily Show and Steven Colbert for a fun look at the excesses of news and politics.

Laurie, since you read the New York Times on the weekend, did you see the article last Sunday about Jon Stewart?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/arts/television/17kaku.html?ex=1234843200&en=0cf9c613920c901e&ei=5087&excamp=NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0820-L3&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=%20NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0820-L3
nikki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbc.com

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
LizE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to go for a mix, so on the radio I switch back and forth between NPR and the conservative talk station--especially amusing when they're covering the same story. I watch very little tv, so no network news, but try to catch Fox News Sunday and one other Sunday show while reading the NYT. Online, Democracy Now is my first choice, and I usually hit Drudge, Google Headlines, and sometimes Al Jazeera.
Ellen AAR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radio as I go to and return from work, and lots and lots and lots of internet sites. I especially enjoy reading the English language editions of some of the international newspapers. I've given up on television.
LLB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Given up locally Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
LLB wrote:
Finally, I generally tune in to The Daily Show and Steven Colbert for a fun look at the excesses of news and politics.

Laurie, since you read the New York Times on the weekend, did you see the article last Sunday about Jon Stewart?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/arts/television/17kaku.html?ex=1234843200&en=0cf9c613920c901e&ei=5087&excamp=NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0820-L3&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_id=%20NYT-E-I-NYT-E-AT-0820-L3

Yes, I did.

On a tangent, did you see Wordplay, that documentary a few years ago about crosswords? Stewart is a crossword fanatic. I thought that was great.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Given up locally Reply with quote

LLB wrote:

On a tangent, did you see Wordplay, that documentary a few years ago about crosswords? Stewart is a crossword fanatic. I thought that was great.

I remember my mother doing the crossword puzzle in the Sunday New York Times every week. When I was a child we lived out west, so she had to have the paper mailed to her, and it didn't arrive until Thursday. These days, of course, you can get the paper on the same day pretty much wherever in the continental US you are. She also had books of crossword puzzles and seemed to always have one open on the dining room table. So when "Wordplay" came out, I took my sons because it reminded me of my mom. It's kind of hard to imagine a documentary about crossword puzzles being fun, but it was and we all enjoyed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: