AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Many Bad Books
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: So Many Bad Books Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
Is the same h/h in every book? I just skimmed a bit and it seemed so. I just have to finish the books I'm reading now, then I'll start the first one.

Yes, xina, the same characters are in each book of the Grace Valley trilogy too. The two main characters are introduced in the first one and they appear in all three books. I really enjoyed the way she unfolded the entire story--similar to the Virgin River series. In fact, some people who appeared briefly in the second Grace Valley series were introduced in the first series, only you didn't know about them then. Enjoy.

Yes, I noticed that while reading reviews of these books that the elderly doctor is Grace's father. I do remember him from the VR books, but I don't recall Grace. I'm happy the same h/h are featured in each book. I've only read a few series in the romance genre where the h/h are the main focus in all the books. Like you said, the story is unfolded in the 3 books...maybe like one big book split into 3?
xina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[

Watchers is an older one. I loved it back when I first read it before I started reading romance. I read it again last year from a different perspective -- there is a romance but it's pretty clumsy and obviously written from a man's POV. Don't worry about that because it's all about the most wonderful dog. You'll love the dog![/quote]

Thanks Diana, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Really, I bought the book for the dog. Going by reviews, I took that the dog was a huge part of the book. I didn't know there was even a hint of a romance in this book and that's a nice surprise even though you say it's a bit clumsy.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two most engrossing books I've picked up this year are SUNNE IN SPELNDOUR and HERE BE DRAGONS by Sharon Kay Penman (I'm still in the middle of that so shhh, no spoilers, please). I was obsessed with Richard III after Josephine Tey's DAUGHTER OF TIME and that led me to Penman. For some reason she's new to me and I'm thrilled at her extensive backlist. So yeah, Kass, maybe try to find an older author whose depths you've not yet plumbed.

-Gail
Kass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the "new dog book" is about the Golden Retriever named Nikki (sp?), then I read it a few months ago!

Oh, yes, that's it. And boy is it preachy. I'm second to none in my admiration for dogs (never owned one, but my grandparents and other relatives have) but even I got a little sick of "human beings need to be nicer to dogs. Be nice to dogs!" after a while.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
The two most engrossing books I've picked up this year are SUNNE IN SPELNDOUR and HERE BE DRAGONS by Sharon Kay Penman (I'm still in the middle of that so shhh, no spoilers, please). I was obsessed with Richard III after Josephine Tey's DAUGHTER OF TIME and that led me to Penman. For some reason she's new to me and I'm thrilled at her extensive backlist. So yeah, Kass, maybe try to find an older author whose depths you've not yet plumbed.

-Gail

I read HERE BE DRAGONS because of a cameo appearance by Eleanor of Aquitaine with whom I'm a bit obsessed. I love Penmen's voice -- she's got a way with livening up those dark time. Best Eleanor of Aquitaine book EVAH is Allison Weir's biography which reads like a novel and has pictures to boot.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:

I read HERE BE DRAGONS because of a cameo appearance by Eleanor of Aquitaine with whom I'm a bit obsessed. I love Penmen's voice -- she's got a way with livening up those dark time. Best Eleanor of Aquitaine book EVAH is Allison Weir's biography which reads like a novel and has pictures to boot.

Holy crap, Eleanor of Aquitaine is one scary, ballsy woman! I've really just started the book and she's only appeared in a couple of scenes but when she does, boy, watch out! I want to be Eleanor when I grow up.

Thanks for the heads-up about Allison Weir. I've been a little wary about Weir and other potential copycats of Philippa Gregory. Don't wanna read historical soap opera.

-Gail
-
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up about Allison Weir. I've been a little wary about Weir and other potential copycats of Philippa Gregory. Don't wanna read historical soap opera.

-Gail
-

I haven't read Weir's biography of Elizabeth I, but my daughter-in-law thought it was excellent.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail and Diana, Oh, Here Be Dragons is one of my favorite books! I think it's the most romantic out of all the Penman books I've read. A close second is, Falls The Shadow which sort of continues the situation in HBD. When reading Shadow you will need your tissue box close on hand....it's a tearjerker in a big way! Simon de Montfort is a wonderful character and not written about in historical fiction as much as he should be. (Virginia Henley has a nice little romance about him...very unlike the Penman version though). Love, love the quote in the beginning of Shadow...."Between the idea and the reality. Between the motion and the act, Falls the Shadow" (T.S. Eliot)
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read another 100 pages of HERE BE DRAGONS last nite. Penman really knows how to take you back to the middle ages and make those characters' motivations come alive.

Simon de Montfort...What I know of him, I know from Virginia Henley. Shameful, isn't it Laughing

-Gail
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
I read another 100 pages of HERE BE DRAGONS last nite. Penman really knows how to take you back to the middle ages and make those characters' motivations come alive.

Simon de Montfort...What I know of him, I know from Virginia Henley. Shameful, isn't it Laughing

-Gail

LOL...no, not shameful Gail. I actually like the Henley book too...for what it is. While Penman concentrates on Simon's battle plans and his love for Eleanor, Henley concentrates on Simon's large (ahem), appendage and his hot love for Eleanor! Laughing Anyway, both books have the eventual outcome of poor Simon, but the story to that end is wonderful. He's a "hero" who is not mentioned or written about enough. (repeating myself... Rolling Eyes )
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

LOL...no, not shameful Gail. I actually like the Henley book too...for what it is. While Penman concentrates on Simon's battle plans and his love for Eleanor, Henley concentrates on Simon's large (ahem), appendage and his hot love for Eleanor! Laughing Anyway, both books have the eventual outcome of poor Simon, but the story to that end is wonderful. He's a "hero" who is not mentioned or written about enough. (repeating myself... Rolling Eyes )

Oh, I def remember the extra-large appendage Wink So I guess this was like the first romance novel I read without the traditional HEA, then. Although made perfect sense, considering Simon's warrior status.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:

I haven't read Weir's biography of Elizabeth I, but my daughter-in-law thought it was excellent.

Thank you for passing along this rec, veasleyd1. I may have to pick up Weir after I've moved on from my current Penman fixation!
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail, I couldn't agree with you more about Gregory! Her Catherine of Aragon book is the only one I read and it made me squirm. There were great long internal monologues that made me think how the hell does she know what was in their heads? Struck me as overblown and pretentious, not to mention that she played fast and loose with historical fact. Soap opera..

I highly recommend Allison Weir's biographies. She's done the Tudors and the Stuarts -- very lively.

My admiration for Eleanor began with the film Lion in Winter in which Katherine Hepburn delivered a killer performance as Eleanor. If you haven't seen it -- you must! How about them boys she mothered!

xina, I've got Falls the Shadow waiting for a time when I can fully concentrate. You've really got to be paying attention when you read Penman.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina, I've got Falls the Shadow waiting for a time when I can fully concentrate. You've really got to be paying attention when you read Penman.[/quote]

Yes, there are some authors that require extra concentration. I don't find that as much with Penman, but with Dorothy Dunnett I certainly do. All my attempts to go back to that series has failed. It's just never the right time for me. I'm hoping someday, I'll drag up the determination to try again. Total concentration....takes an effort.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my week for weird synergy. First, I start reading The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher about the Constance Kent murder case at the same time I begin listening to Sharyn McCrumb's Missing Susan about a murder mystery tour of England which turns out to feature prominently - the Constance Kent murder case. Then, after reading through this thread, I go back to listening to Louise Penny's A Fatal Grace, only to find that one of the major clues to the mystery is contained in the movie, Lion in Winter and an obsession with Elinor of Aquitaine plays a significant role.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: