AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dark Knight - The Ultimate Tortured Hero
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielle B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: The Dark Knight - The Ultimate Tortured Hero Reply with quote

Oh. My. God.

I went to the midnight screen of The Dark Knight last night and it was soooo worth only getting three hours sleep before work this morning.

I'm in love with Bruce Wayne. Christian Bale is fantabulous in this movie and has to be the best tortured hero I've yet to see in a movie. I can't even begin to describe how good this movie is. It is soooo much more than just your average run of the mill superhero movie.

Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker is incredible which makes his death just seem so much more tragic. He was just starting to come into his own as an actor and show everyone he wasn't just another teen heart throb.

That being said I understand why the character affected him to the extent that it did. Heath definitely became the Joker in this movie and a more twisted and evil villian I have yet to see in any other movie.

Okay, enough of my rabid fan girl gushing. If you aren't squimish and like drama and action movies I highly recommend going to see this movie. Plus Christian Bale is to die for in the movie.

Danielle
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter saw the midnight showing last night, and she was tired getting up for work this morning, but said that it was worth it. I haven't had a lot of time to talk to her about it, but she said Heath Ledger was unrecognizable and even his voice was so different. I asked her about the violence factor and she said there was a lot of killing but not anything graphic. She also noticed that there was very little or no swearing. I thought that was interesting.
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Dark Knight Reply with quote

Wow, this movie sounds great. I had heard that Heath Ledger could win the oscar for his role. I loved him in 10 Things I Hate about You and Knight's Tale. I have never seen any of Christian Bale's movies before but I look forward to it after seeing your post. Thks.
Danielle B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
My daughter saw the midnight showing last night, and she was tired getting up for work this morning, but said that it was worth it. I haven't had a lot of time to talk to her about it, but she said Heath Ledger was unrecognizable and even his voice was so different. I asked her about the violence factor and she said there was a lot of killing but not anything graphic. She also noticed that there was very little or no swearing. I thought that was interesting.

Yeah, if I hadn't known it was Heath Ledger playing the joker it would have been impossible to tell. There wasn't any graphic blood and gore but Heath Ledgers portrayal of the joker was really disturbing all on it's own without the blood and gore.

I didn't notice the swearing but then again my husband works in a machine shop and swear words have become common vocabulary in our home and I tend not to notice them anymore.

Kayne - I've only seen Christian Bale in American Psycho before the Batman movies and although I could appreciate his good looks I didn't really like him all that much but I looooooooooooooove him as Bruce Wayne. Oh man he's just such an awesome hero soooo good but just barely teetering on the edge.....

Okay, I need to stop now. I'm crushing like a 13 year old over here.

Danielle

Danielle
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the swearing but then again my husband works in a machine shop and swear words have become common vocabulary in our home and I tend not to notice them anymore.

[/quote]

Well, it's not that she's sensitive to swearing...she's 20 and in her 3rd yr. of college. She's heard plenty of it, and doesn't care, but just in talking with her about the movie, I wondered what it was rated. She then mentioned that she just realized there wasn't much swearing, which usually ups the rating to an "R" if there's an excess of the the "F" word. I was under the impression that it was extremely violent, but she said no, just like you did. I feel so bad about Heath Ledger because obviously, we will all miss out on his talent. As for Chistian Bale, I saw him in Reign Of Fire which wasn't such a great movie, but he looked good in it.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These reactions are interesting. A friend of mine got advanced tickets to a preview of the film she saw on Wednesday. I was at a class with her today -- we take meditation together -- and she said the film was violent. I was turned off by that, not because I didn't expect violence but I wondered whether it was *too* violent. But you all are saying no? I have a squeamish stomach. I do not want to spend time at a film with my hands over my eyes, so what do you all think? Will I?
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
But you all are saying no? I have a squeamish stomach. I do not want to spend time at a film with my hands over my eyes, so what do you all think? Will I?

I did. My son and I went to midnight showing and both of us had trouble falling asleep after we got home. The film is very violent, I would say about double what occurred in the first one. My son, who loves to see films two and three times. has since turned down two opportunities to see it again. I can say that I thought it worth seeing but I just don't know what to tell you in terms of violence. For me, it very nearly crossed the line into too much.

maggie b.
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been obsessed with Christian Bale for a while now. I loved him in The Machinist. We are going tonight to an IMAX showing and we are thrilled. We saw the trailers when we saw I am Legend and they were fantastic. and of course to have Christian Bale in it is worth it! LOVE HIM!!!! cheri
Danielle B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
These reactions are interesting. A friend of mine got advanced tickets to a preview of the film she saw on Wednesday. I was at a class with her today -- we take meditation together -- and she said the film was violent. I was turned off by that, not because I didn't expect violence but I wondered whether it was *too* violent. But you all are saying no? I have a squeamish stomach. I do not want to spend time at a film with my hands over my eyes, so what do you all think? Will I?

It's hard to say because it was still really disturbing with out being blood and gore violence. You knew what was happening even if you didn't see it and quite a few people died etc. but the messy stuff was all off camera - if that makes sense. However, there was alot of the regular fighting between people without anyone actually dying.
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I have been obsessed with Christian Bale for a while now.

cheri, my dear, I'm in awe of your insightfulness! I didn't come upon him until about a week or so ago when they started playing Batman Begins in a loop on cable, probably to hype up the sequel. I've never seen BB and I had no intention really, but there was practically nothing on TV that night and I had nothing to read either! I started watching it and couldn't stop.

The movie itself wasn't bad, but HOLY MOLY, Christian Bale?! About 2/3 through the movie, my son stopped by to pick something up and he had his gf w/him. She immediately sits down and starts watching, my son launches into this whole dissertation on the origins of Batman in the comics and how they tie into the movie, etc. I look over at his gf, then point at the TV and say "did you know about this?" She doesn't miss a beat and says "Half the women in North America know about this!" Gotta love that girl!

I'm sorry to say that at my advanced age, I'm as shallow as ever, but I'm pretty much goin' to see the movie for the eye-candy factor! Wink
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an article about what age group should see The Dark Knight

http://kids.yahoo.com/parents/blog/1001/141--Is+%27The+Dark+Knight%27+for+Kids?

maggie b.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The movie itself wasn't bad, but HOLY MOLY, Christian Bale?! About 2/3 through the movie, my son stopped by to pick something up and he had his gf w/him. She immediately sits down and starts watching, my son launches into this whole dissertation on the origins of Batman in the comics and how they tie into the movie, etc. I look over at his gf, then point at the TV and say "did you know about this?" She doesn't miss a beat and says "Half the women in North America know about this!" Gotta love that girl!

And, do we all know who Christian Bale's stepmother is?... Gloria Steinem. Heh? ;-)

Now, as an "old" feminist, there's a reason to be supportive.
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I have been obsessed with Christian Bale for a while now. I loved him in The Machinist. We are going tonight to an IMAX showing and we are thrilled. We saw the trailers when we saw I am Legend and they were fantastic. and of course to have Christian Bale in it is worth it! LOVE HIM!!!! cheri

I think Christian Bale is one of a handful of actors who've transitioned really well from child actor to adult actor (I'd put Natalie Portman on that list as well). Bale's performance in Empire of the Sun was stunning - even more so when you consider that he was 13 at the time. I think he's made very smart choices in his career, especially by staying away from big budget movies for a while.

I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, as this is not really my kind of movie, but I think my curioisity about Heath Ledger's performance may get the better of me in this case...
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
cheri wrote:

I think Christian Bale is one of a handful of actors who've transitioned really well from child actor to adult actor (I'd put Natalie Portman on that list as well). Bale's performance in Empire of the Sun was stunning - even more so when you consider that he was 13 at the time. I think he's made very smart choices in his career, especially by staying away from big budget movies for a while.

I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, as this is not really my kind of movie, but I think my curioisity about Heath Ledger's performance may get the better of me in this case...

I didn't get to see it last night because ALL shows were SOLDOUT! Crying or Very sad My mom loves Empire of the Sun and it's one of his I've yet to see. He's very good at emersing himself so into a role you forget it's him. He's an extremely good actor in that way. Most people claim they haven't seen him anything because for the most part he's under the radar with roles or movies people haven't seen. Did anyone see 3:10 to Yuma? How yummy was he in that with all the scruff on his face? Also in The Machinist, he lost so much weight he was unrecognizable. I really want to see this movie. cheri

I just wanted to add that his list of movies is long and if anyone wants to check it out Wikipedia has the whole list. cheri
Gail K.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, Christian Bale was Laurie opposite Winona Ryder in LITTLE WOMEN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: