AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beyond Romance Covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . is Romance the only genre which makes a big deal out of "Buried Treasures"? Is there an equivalent in the jargon of other readers? I think that all genre readers are in the same boat when it comes to these issues.[/quote]

I seem to remember seeing this term within discussions of books from various genres. To me, Buried Treasures are personal finds that are very memorable and too, books that are not wildly popular, but discovered by accident. It's happened to me a few times.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Diana wrote:

The shelving direction comes from corporate for the chains. If the romance buyer bought it, it goes in romance. Individual stores in the chains just follow orders. Indies can shelve them wherever they want, but how many indies are left?

This isn't entirely true. One of my sons worked for Borders for nine years; the shelving crew had leeway in making decisions. Locally, they moved Jane Austen from general fiction to romance when the movies came out, and sales shot up. They put some authors in more than one category (Crusie in both romance and general fiction; some of Bujold in both sf and romance, etc.).

Our local B&N also shelves in multiple locations, and even has a sign up on top of the bookshelves with the names of certain authors and "see also" for the sections where the reader might also find books. They also have some duplicates between romance and mystery (Elizabeth Peters, for example).

Oh yes, like the employees at my Target who shelved the Meg Cabot book, Size 12 Is Not Fat with the diet books. Or when I found the new-cover SEP book with the cutie puppy on it (It Had To Be You) in the pet section. Genius, I tell you. Rolling Eyes
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Diana wrote:

The shelving direction comes from corporate for the chains. If the romance buyer bought it, it goes in romance. Individual stores in the chains just follow orders. Indies can shelve them wherever they want, but how many indies are left?

This isn't entirely true. One of my sons worked for Borders for nine years; the shelving crew had leeway in making decisions. Locally, they moved Jane Austen from general fiction to romance when the movies came out, and sales shot up. They put some authors in more than one category (Crusie in both romance and general fiction; some of Bujold in both sf and romance, etc.).

Our local B&N also shelves in multiple locations, and even has a sign up on top of the bookshelves with the names of certain authors and "see also" for the sections where the reader might also find books. They also have some duplicates between romance and mystery (Elizabeth Peters, for example).

There are no decisions to be made at Borders. Books are to be shelved in the section printed on the Borders BINC sticker. Front table or multiple placement, endcaps, cardboard displays, and signage are negotiated and paid for. Your son's store must have had an outlaw manager if he was doing his own thing. Laughing

B&N is also following corporate direction. The signs you're seeing came from corporate. I used their new in-store computer the other day, and it printed out a map leading me right to the book.

The Big Box stores like Target and Walmart aren't so careful. Usually shelving is done overnight by people who are probably not big readers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: