AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie - I really enjoyed Sugar Daddy, and thought it had a very likeable heroine. But I would categorize it as being closer to women's fiction than to most contemps. It was a DIK at AAR - here's the review.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Sugar Daddy. While I don't agree that it reads like Women's Fiction, I still see it as a romance, it's true that the reader sees the heroine's transformation in more depth that the usual romance. I didn't have that much hope for Kleypas, who is an exceptional historical romance writer, to write such a great contemporary that is just a little bit different than the usual contemporary.
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see Poo on the cover. He played a major role in the story. Many of my SEPs are the originals with the baby angels floating in the air. I almost passed on SEP because of those angel babies, but decided to take the recs from AAR readers and just get over it. I'm almost tempted to buy the new covers so I don''t have to hide them. Cool
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Yulie and xina regarding Sugar Daddy. It was a great story and I probably would list it as tilting toward women's fiction, but definitely having a good romantic story. Not so with Blue-Eyed Devil, which is definitely a romance, and with less depth, IMO.
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll hold off on Sugar Daddy for now.

Just thought I would share this with you ladies since you were discussing the book cover. I left the book on my kitchen table with the intention to read it after breakfast. When my daughter told me that my son asked her if the book is hers Smile. She then asked me if she can read it Smile. They both thought it was a children's book because of the dog. I just thought that was funny.

Debbie
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie wrote:
I think I'll hold off on Sugar Daddy for now.

Just thought I would share this with you ladies since you were discussing the book cover. I left the book on my kitchen table with the intention to read it after breakfast. When my daughter told me that my son asked her if the book is hers Smile. She then asked me if she can read it Smile. They both thought it was a children's book because of the dog. I just thought that was funny.

Debbie

I wonder what they would have thought of the breast cover? Laughing You could have told them it was an advertisement for that pretty necklace...or maybe a Victoria's Secret catalog!
athena_d

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a late reply to this post but I thought I'd add my two cent in since SEP is one of my favorite author. This might be a repeat of what some of the ladies here said but bear with me while I gush about how great she is! :)

I would describe her writing style as really witty and humorous. My all-time favorite is "Nobody's Baby but Mine". Hands down, she's the only author that has made me laugh out loud, cry, and laugh out loud again. Her characters, their relationship, and the plot are very well developed. You never get a sense that their HEA is rushed. I actually teared up in some of her groveling scenes because they're somewhat intense (in a very very very good way Smile )

I would recommend you try her Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: