AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rice's and McCarty's new books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Rice's and McCarty's new books Reply with quote

I just finished Sarah McCarty's new book, "Sam's Creed," and if you like her other westerns, as I do, you'll like this book a lot. As she has in the past, McCarty begins fast with a damsel in distress and a Texas ranger who is honor-bound to aid her. One thing I like about McCarty is that her villains come with the proper dread and evil, but that McCarty doesn't go in for gruesome details. Just the heroine's fear and willingness to do just about anything to avoid being with them is powerful enough. Sam, like former heroes, is a great combination of intuition, protectiveness, lust, and love as he wins the innocent heroine.

I personally love Lisa Marie Rice's books, and her "Dangerous Secrets" does not disappoint. As you may have read on Amazon, an undercover agent poses as a former wealthy stockbroker to trap a Russian terrorist who is obsessed with a Vermont librarian, Charity, because he believes she is the reincarnation of his dead lover. Of course, our hero, Nicolas, is pole-axed by his attraction to the librarian and off goes their romance! I love Lisa Marie Rice's men and this man is no exception. Nicolas, convinced that Charity is in enormous danger when the villain realizes that she is NOT the reincarnated lover, becomes frantic to protect her. This book does not have-- IMO, anyway--the intensity of love scenes (with the exception of one in the middle of the book) of Rice's former books, but that may be my reaction because I've read all of her books.

Warning: If you don't like intensely sexual books, you would not like either of these. If you do, you'll love them.
TracyG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X,

Thanks for the information on both books. I have started Sam's Creed, but real life keeps intruding and I haven't had much time to devote to it.

I hope I can find Dangerous Secrets at the bookstore this weekend. It looks like a good one to have for a 3 day weekend.

Happy Reading!
Kayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Rice Reply with quote

Thanks Lynda for posting about the release of the Rice book. I didn't realize it was out already. I'm in the middle so far and loving the lead characters. One thing that is throwing me off is Rice's mention of Jake and Nicolas growing up in an orphanage and then foster homes. The US switched from orphanages to foster care in the 1950's. Other countries still have them but I think Jake and Nicolas are from the US and I think they are too young to have grown up in the 50's.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayne, maybe because Rice has been living in Italy for years, she didn't realize that.

Have you read Rice's other books? Please let me know what you think of it, when you're done, ok?
Em

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Lisa Marie Rice's latest in one happy evening's read-a-thon. All the usual Rice elements are there--hot love scenes, an uber-alpha hero, a delicate but sensible heroine, a James Bond-worthy villain etc. ( Alexander Solzhenyitsin anyone?) My only complaint with Rice's latest books is is that I would like....more. For example, the character of Jacob and his relationship with Nick sounded really intriguing, and it would have been great if she could have expanded on it with more detail. Also, although I thoroughly enjoyed the epilogue, it would have been nice to have a little more description as to how Nick got to be sheriff, and what happened after the climactic events at the end, what happened to the elderly relatives etc. (No more spoilers, I promise.)
It's a great compliment to Rice that I ended up wishing for even more of her story. I hope her editors encourage her to be even more prolific!
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Dangerous Secrets Reply with quote

I noticed that Dangerous Secrets by Rice is listed over at 1001 Romance Books to Read.... as number 240!

I think I have read just about everything Rice has written including her books written as Elizabeth Jennings and also her short story in a Secrets anthology. This one ranks up there probably second but I don't think I could ever reread it because of the emotional trama in it and yet that's part of what makes it so moving. I think my favorite book by Rice is still Midnight Man.

Readers might want to be warned of a prison rape scene early on in the story, minor spoiler here especially how she intertwines it with our lead characters love scene. It is disturbing yet it gave me compassion for the Russian writer and all that he had gone through and even though it is extremely uncomfortable to read I think it is important to the story (unlike the cat mutilation scene in Pursuit). I could definately see this being made into a movie. I can't think of any guy actors that would could play Nicholas though.
Danielle D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up reading Dangerous Secrets in one day --- I could not put the book down. I was so happy that she had an epilogue in this book and she showed a HEA. Unlike she did with Dangerous Lover. I'm a sucker for a good HEA.

Sam's Creed was an above average read for me --- I liked it but I have to admit that I enjoyed Caine's Reckoning more.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Dangerous Secrets last night and I'm on the fence about this one. I liked that the heroine was not helpless, broke, and desperately needy which is something I found annoying in some of her other books. In fact, despite the fact that she was small town naive she had some spunk -- in a good way. Rice's books are like candy in that I can't seem to resist reading them and later wish I'd had a more solid meal. And (she notes with a chortle) yet another Rice hero who thinks about going down on his beloved but never gets around to it. It's all about penetration. What's up with that?

In addition to the business about orphanages, on page 1 we have a macabre funeral scene where everyone stands around in the bitter Vermont winter cold while gravediggers actually dig the hole. I don't know how they conduct graveside services in Italy, but I know that in this country the grave is dug and prepared beforehand so mourners don't have to watch.

Bottom line is liked it, didn't love it and probably won't read it again.

Speaking of Sarah McCarty, she's jumped on the paranormal merry-go-round with an incredibly formulaic and generic werewolf book. If Running Wild didn't have her name on the cover I never would have believed that it was written by the author of the Promises and Hell's Eight books. It's dumbed down McCarty clearly pandering to the erotic paranormal market. Don't bother.

I loved McCarty's Caine book and I've got Sam in my TBR.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Sarah McCarty, she's jumped on the paranormal merry-go-round with an incredibly formulaic and generic werewolf book. If Running Wild didn't have her name on the cover I never would have believed that it was written by the author of the Promises and Hell's Eight books. It's dumbed down McCarty clearly pandering to the erotic paranormal market. Don't bother.

So, another author bites the dust with the paranormal thing? Thanks for the warning, I might have been slightly tempted since I've enjoyed McCarty's westerns. As it is, only paranormal I can get through is Kresley Cole and I was even a little bored with the latest one I read . With Cole...I read them for the heroes and that's about it.
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

So, another author bites the dust with the paranormal thing? Thanks for the warning, I might have been slightly tempted since I've enjoyed McCarty's westerns. As it is, only paranormal I can get through is Kresley Cole and I was even a little bored with the latest one I read . With Cole...I read them for the heroes and that's about it.

I read the first two of Cole's series and stopped. I think I need to catch up. Do they have to be read in order? Any one particularly good or any that I should skip?

McCarty's werewolf book was surprising to me in its badness -- the narrative was nonsensical at times. Knowing what she's capable of and knowing that she knocked out a very commercial paranormal in about ten minutes is, well, I dunno. I can't blame anyone for wanting to make as many bucks as possible while they're hot I guess. That's why we have message boards. Cool
Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana:

I thought the third Cole, Wicked Deeds on Winters Night, was the best and I thought the last two were so-so. If that helps any....
MarianneM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Dangerous Secrets Reply with quote

I agree with Diana on this one. To me, the book simply doesn't have the unique combination of extremely explicit sex and great warmth which the Midnight series had -- particularly Midnight Angel, which used the Beauty/Beast legend with such telling effect.

I find that while explicit sex doesn't shock me, if it is written without the humanizing effect of tenderness and warmth, which are so much present in Midnight Angel, it doesn't move me to much enjoyment either.

I won't be tempted to reread Dangerous Secrets, mainly because in spite of there being a lot of "body" there, it doesn't have enough "soul" for me to want to revisit.

MarianneM
MarianneM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Dangerous Secrets Reply with quote

I agree with Diana on this one. To me, the book simply doesn't have the unique combination of extremely explicit sex and great warmth which the Midnight series had -- particularly Midnight Angel, which used the Beauty/Beast legend with such telling effect.

I find that while explicit sex doesn't shock me, if it is written without the humanizing effect of tenderness and warmth, which are so much present in Midnight Angel, it doesn't move me to much enjoyment either.

I won't be tempted to reread Dangerous Secrets, mainly because in spite of there being a lot of "body" there, it doesn't have enough "soul" for me to want to revisit.

MarianneM
Diana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole wrote:
Diana:

I thought the third Cole, Wicked Deeds on Winters Night, was the best and I thought the last two were so-so. If that helps any....

Thanks, Nicole. I'm going to do something I haven't done in years. I'm going to return the McCarty book and exchange it for the Cole. I've got the receipt and I didn't crack the spine. I don't return books because it just doesn't seem right for some reason, but I'm going to make an exception this time. It's my rule and I can break it if I want to. Cool
Diana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's Creed fell short of Caine's Reckoning for me. The book was awfully talky, talky, talky. And it was repetitive talkiness. It was annoying and I was thinking okay you guys have already discussed her virginity and the fact that she doesn't know what she's asking for fifty-seven times already.

Judith Ivory pulled off the isolated couple on a road trip and the virgin heroine's sexual awakening perfectly in The Indiscretion. McCarty is no Ivory, but the setup here reminded me of Ivory's book so I couldn't help but compare. Too much of just the h/h isolated and talking, talking, talking. It would have been nice to revisit Caine and Desi. It would have livened up the book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: