AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just pre-ordered the new SEP books at Amazon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheila

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Just pre-ordered the new SEP books at Amazon Reply with quote

What I Did for Love: A Novel also the rewrite of Glitter Baby
Not sure about Glitter Baby--anyone read the original? Critique?

(SEP is the only author I have on auto-buy.)

Last edited by Sheila on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just pre-ordered the new SEP books at Amazon Reply with quote

Sheila wrote:
[color=darkblue][u]What I Did for Love: A Novel

Gosh, it doesn't come out till February! Rolling Eyes
DearEvette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Glitter Baby back when it was written. I still have the original. I didn't know she was re-writing? Interesting. I enjoyed it a lot, but I think reading it now, it can feel somewhat dated.

I've read all of SEP's stuff and she, imo, has a dual writing personality. There is her stuff she wrote starting with It Had To Be You (all the Chicago Stars books) and later . And then there is the stuff that came before the Chicago Stars books (BC). The stuff BC has a very, very different feel than her later stuff. The later books all strike me as being light, witty and very modern. The earlier stuff is heavier and angstier. Seriously, if I had read Glitter Baby and IHTBY back to back and not knowing who the author was, you couldn't convince me that same person has written both books.

Glitter Baby
, Fancy Pants, Honey Moon and even Hot Shot to a lesser extent all feel almost Danielle Steele-esque. There is a very 80s sensibility about them.

But outside of the that, GB has a very good story. And the writing is excellent. But unless she's really doing a wholesale re-write, I wouldn't expect the same light humor you see in her more recent books.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Glitter Baby (paid too much for it online as a used book), and didn't really like it. However, she's supposed to have completely rewritten it, so I'm curious to see what it'll be like now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: