AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for books like Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylorh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Looking for books like Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series Reply with quote

I just recently finished Slave to Sensation and am now reading the rest of her series. I am looking for books like this series. I like paranormals but without any vampires. Most of the authors I pick up tend to have vampires thrown in there somewhere. I also don't really want any of the urban fantasy types with an open ended romance where the heroine is kind of in love with 2 men. I prefer each book to focus primarily on one couple. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Jayne Ann Krentz's "futuristics"; they have the psychic element: Sweet Starfire, Crystal Flame; as Amanda Glass: Shield's Lady;
as Jayne Castle: Amaryllis, Zinnia, Orchid; After Dark, After Glow, Ghost Hunter, Silver Master, and Dark Light (due this September).

Kay
maddie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jude Deveraux's "Forever Trilogy" might be what you are looking for. I admit I only read the first one b/c I didn't really like the heroine, but I've heard good things about them. The titles are Forever; Always; and Forever and Always (that might not be the correct order). Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series is also really good, and I'm pretty sure doesn't have vampires.
Kren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie Liu writes the Dirk & Steele series which focuses on all sorts of different paranormal beings or gifted people and there aren't many (or any, I'm not quite sure) vampires. Each book stands alone as a romantic story but all the stories tie together. My favorite was Shadow Touch, which I would highly recommend.

You might also enjoy P.C. Cast. She re-writes mythology in her goddess series.
Audrey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't recommend the Forever trilogy by Deveraux. They were the first books by that author that I didn't keep. IIRC, the husband disappears and doesn't reappear which doesn't count as romance to me. I enjoy the Krentz books mentioned earlier. If you like those, you might also like Robin Owens' "Heart" series - sort of futuristic, but the people all have certain powers and they're good books.

I am also enjoying Alexis Morgan's Paladin series. Also Gena Showalter's books might be worth checking into. She writes several different series and they don't all appeal to me, but the Imperia and Atlantis ones were pretty good, and I'm also just starting the series about the guys who have to absorb the demons that escape from Pandora's box. Also maybe check Lisa Cach's backlist to see if any of them appeal to you.

For some older ones, Julie Kenner wrote a series about superheroes. And I also kept a series by Kristine Grayson with magic and the Three Fates. Jill Barnett wrote some in the nineties that were magical.

More recently, in 2006, there was a trilogy by Sara Mackenzie about men who were brought back to life to get a do-over.

Sorry if I'm a little vague as my books are all packed up and I can't go and look at them. I'm just going on my list that I carry in my purse. But I think they all have websites and then hopefully you can read an excerpt and find something you like.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey wrote:
I enjoy the Krentz books mentioned earlier. If you like those, you might also like Robin Owens' "Heart" series - sort of futuristic, but the people all have certain powers and they're good books.

I second Audrey' recommendation of Robin D. Owens's "Heart" books. The first one is HeartMate.

I also agree about Marjorie M. Liu's Dirk & Steele books. My favorites are Tiger Eye and The Red Heart of Jade. They have a combination of individuals with psychic powers and individuals who are shape-shifters.

Kay
Retrograde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey wrote:
I am also enjoying Alexis Morgan's Paladin series. Also Gena Showalter's books might be worth checking into. She writes several different series and they don't all appeal to me, but the Imperia and Atlantis ones were pretty good, and I'm also just starting the series about the guys who have to absorb the demons that escape from Pandora's box.

I, like the OP, have been looking for something similar to Singh's fantastic Psy/Changeling world, and have tried Morgan's Paladins series as well as Gena Showalter's series about the cursed warriors who opened Pandora's Box. My personal experience is that their books are nowhere near as seamless, magical, absorbing, and thrilling as Singh's work. World building and characterisation wasn't meaty enough for me, and I found them disappointing and frustrating. So needless to say, i'd warn the OP away from these.

The closest i've gotten to the enchanting Psy/Changeling world is Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series, but you mentioned having an aversion to vampires. However, they're very well-written and steaming hot. Aside from vampires, there are also other creatures from what they call "The Lore". Book 1, for example, features a Lykae alpha male (kind of like a werewolf), and his half-Vampire/half-Valkyrie mate. I think you might like it if you give it a chance.
taylorh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone. I will take your suggestions with me to the used book store!!
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 500 Kingdoms books by Mercedes Lackey might be worth considering. Very interesting world-building, though a completely different flavor than the Singh books. They should be read in order since events and characters from earlier books are important in later books.
The 3 I’ve read & enjoyed are:
The Fairy Godmother
One Good Knight
Fortune’s Fool
I have not yet bought The Snow Queen, which just came out recently in hardcover.

The Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow also has excellent world-building, but it is a series devoted to one heroine rather than a separate romance in each book, and her relationships really push the boundaries of romance.
Working For The Devil
Dead Man Rising
The Devil’s Right Hand
Saint City Sinners
To Hell And Back

The “Others” series by Christine Warren includes vampires, but only one book of the 11 I’ve seen has a vampire main character.
fantasy fix (e)
fur factor (e)
faer fetched (e)
fighting faer (e)
fur for all (e)
fur play (e)
wolf at the door
she’s no faerie princess
the demon you know
(see no rest for the witches)
howl at the moon
walk on the wild side
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: