AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommends for 40+ heroines
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFL

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, the heroine of LaVyrle Spencer's Family Blessings is 45. I think the hero is 30.
Diana

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact by Susan Grant. Heroine is mid forties and a kickass leader of men.

Second the rec for Hot Wheels and High Heels. Jane Graves who also writes as Jane Sullivan is an author I really like. IIRC several of her books have older heroines.
Sissy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommends for 40+ heroines Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I think I've read one too many books with a teenage heroine. Confused Anybody got recs for a romance with "older" heroines?

maggie b.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Try Sherryl Woods' Sweet Magnolias trilogy:
STEALING HOME
A SLICE OF HEAVEN
FEELS LIKE HEAVEN
All the heroines are 39 and 40 years old.
Eileen Goudge's Carson Springs trilogy has heroines who are older wormen in their 40s.
Barbara Delinsky's THE SUMMER I DARED.
All are contemporaries and all are really good.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Older Couples on the Special Title Listings under Readers Choice. There is a nice selection of stories written about older couples that is broken down by decade.

One of my favorite stories is about a couple in their mid 40s written by Heather Graham Pozzesserre(sp). Down In New Orleans is a romantic suspense story about an artist and a police detective.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! Some of these I have read but I will make up a list and hit the bookstore/library!

Maggie
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robyn Carr, Never Too Late.

However, I would note that this book, like many that feature older heroines, is realistic enough to depict her as having the amount of "baggage" that a person collects during four decades of life. Quite a few people dislike this and exile such books about older heroines to the "women's fiction" realm rather than considering them romance genre.
booksy49

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: older heroines Reply with quote

I want to say 'thank you' for some excellent suggestions here- although it has cost me money! I too prefer stories about more mature heroines - it makes living vicariously so much easier!

I had read many of the recommendations, but hadn't come across the Lucy Hatch series. I bought the first one and was less than 60 pages in before I ordered the second. I have finished that and am now eagerly waiting for numbers 3 & 4 to arrive. What a find - I do hope she is going to continue writing, although I see on her website that she is returning to outside work full time.

I would like to recommend Katie Fforde, who with Jennifer Crusie is one of the few authors I keep and reread. She is very popular here in England, but doesn't receive such good reviews on AAR. She has a more gentle pace than many American writers, and contrasts well. A number of her heroines are in their 30s eg Restoring Grace, Wild Designs and Living Dangerously (some of her titles are changed for the US market, so I hope those are correct). Even where her heroines are younger, they have a more mature feel to them. Another writer with older heroines is Trisha Ashley. Interestingly, both these writers often use gardening as a theme - maybe that's appropriate for an older heroine!
sssspro

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you read erotica or ebooks, but Ellora's Cave just started a whole series of books called Oh Yum!, which are all older women, younger men stories. I have happened to have read 2 so far and they aren't too bad. There has to be at least a dozen of them out so far.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysteries, but with an ongoing and rather satisfactory mature romance: the series about Maggie Skerritt, PI, by Charlotte Douglas. They're from Harlequin Next. One title is Storm Season.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum.

Judith Lansdowne, Just in Time (traditional regency).

Also, Georgette Heyer's False Colours has a secondary, totally hilarious, not-precisely-a-romance between Evelyn and Kit's ditzy widowed mother and a very portly gentleman.
susanruss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.loose-id.com/detail.aspx?ID=285

Redemption 4: Helenís Release

The heroine is 50 years old. Highly recommended!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: