AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silent Melody by Mary Balogh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Silent Melody by Mary Balogh Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of re-reading lately after finding myself in a bit of a slump, and for a while I moved away from romances to general fiction, but yesterday I found myself re-reading this book. It's not one that I ever think of when I think of favourite romances, and truth be told Balogh is a hit-or-miss author with me, but upon re-reading I remembered what a special story this is. I think, with the heroine being deaf, the reader is set to feel a certain level of empathy for her, but you never pity her. And the story itself walks that fine line between angst and true passion. I really, really love it; the book even gets away with a few plotlines that would otherwise bother me. Thoughts from people who have read it?

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
bavarian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Melody is one of these few books which stay in mind long after having been read. It's not only because the heroine is deaf. She is a very strong character and just the kind of heroine the troubled hero needs. The conflict between the two brothers adds to the story, too.
SM is a perfect example for the earlier writing of Mary Balogh I often prefer to her later books.
I just got The Ideal Wife, a title I haven't read yet although it's one of these earlier books. I'm really glad that there are now reprints of her older books as they are mostly very expensive.
Now I'm looking forward to reading TIW!
AnnLouise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Melody was ok, but not one of best of MB's earlier books; in an earlier book, Heartless, these H/H of SM appear in supporting roles. I loved Heartless, and the setup in that book really made me want to read SM. So I was a bit disappointed in how their story played out.

The Ideal Wife reprints a Signet regency - that was one I tracked down used. The price wasn't horrible, and was worth. Of her backlist, I tend to enjoy regular size Signet above the "super regency" titles from that era.
In the Yahoo MB group, we just found out that several of the Signets are going to be reprinted; each book will have two titles. They include (IIRC), Lord Carew's Bride, A Precious Jewel, and some other titles that interconnect. They're not series, but the same group of people shows up in each book. The bad news? These aren't coming out until 2009. Mad
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoyed Silent Melody quite a bit. And even though the heroine is incredibly strong and a great character, the hero too is finely written too.
becky d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Silent Melody Reply with quote

I absolutely loved Silent Melody. It was one of the first Balogh books I read and I was bowled-over by her ability to combine angst with romance. This book usually gets overlooked by Balogh's other traditional regencies; I am glad someone finally mentioned it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: