AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throwing a 50th Birthday Party for my Husband
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juliette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Throwing a 50th Birthday Party for my Husband Reply with quote

And luckily my in-laws are helping and hosting it. I get panicky and flustered from the pressure when I host a party myself and I wanted to get a party planner, maybe have it catered if we could afford it, but my veteran party throwing mother-in-law talked me out of it. If anyone here is good at entertaining could I ask you a couple of questions?

1. It's a barbecue and will be on a Saturday - what is a good time? Would 4:00 be best, or later?

2. One of the reasons I wanted to get a party planner is I wanted the party to be special and different. As good as my in-laws throw a party it's always kind of the same old same old, no creativity. I could use some ideas, hopefully not the usual, for a party of this type.

I'm not the hostess with the mostest, unfortunately, but I'm very creative and I can cook. Organized I'm not. Sad
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some suggestions to mull over as you plan your husband's 50th birthday.

1) What is the age group of those attending? Mostly your peers or older friends? If you have the older 60 crowd attending parties, they like to party early and leave early. Usually they are gone by 9 PM so if you don't want to lose anyone have it earlier. If that isn't a factor you could do it later. The weather could be a factor in your party. If it's cool in the evening you might want to have it later as long as you have enough lighting for everyone to get around. Or the afternoon showers might cause a change of plans.

2. Themes are nice if you are into them. Since your husband was born in 1958 you could go with a 50s theme. Or if your husband had a decade he's partial to use that decade as a theme. What is his interests? Is he into sports, photography, cars, etc. use that theme. Or you could use the nifty 50s theme since he's turning 50. Do a collage with pictures of him is a fun way to walk down memory lane. A friend of mine and I just gave a party for a 92 year old a few weeks ago honoring her service to our club. We created a keepsake flyer for her with her picture on the front, her story(history) on the inside and on the back was an amusing anecdote. This might be overkill for a birthday party, but it was interesting for those who wanted to know more about her history.

Have a wonderful party!
Rosario

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
We created a keepsake flyer for her with her picture on the front, her story(history) on the inside and on the back was an amusing anecdote. This might be overkill for a birthday party, but it was interesting for those who wanted to know more about her history.

We did something a bit like that for my dad's 60th birthday. We had friends of his and family members write short pieces about him, and then printed them in a booklet, with old photos. There was a bit of everything... ranging from laugh-out-loud funny to very serious and emotional. It was a really nice keepsake.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Memento Reply with quote

Rosario wrote:
KarenS wrote:
We created a keepsake flyer for her with her picture on the front, her story(history) on the inside and on the back was an amusing anecdote. This might be overkill for a birthday party, but it was interesting for those who wanted to know more about her history.

We did something a bit like that for my dad's 60th birthday. We had friends of his and family members write short pieces about him, and then printed them in a booklet, with old photos. There was a bit of everything... ranging from laugh-out-loud funny to very serious and emotional. It was a really nice keepsake.

I think this is a lovely idea. A friend of mine and her two sisters did this for their parents 50th wedding anniversary. Each of them, their spouses and children, plus her parents friends all wrote something. They put these in a book with photos and other mementos and it was great. For example, if you husband is a sports fan you could copy a ticket stub to a sporting event; if he's a theatre fan you could copy the cover of the Playbill, etc. Or you could simply have a big bulletin board at the party with some of these things tacked to it.

Another idea I've seen done is to blow up a photo of your husband, either as a child or a recent photo, to poster size. Then the guests could autograph it when they come to the party.

Many happy returns of the day to him, and best wishes for many more!
Juliette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Just some suggestions to mull over as you plan your husband's 50th birthday.

1) What is the age group of those attending? Mostly your peers or older friends? If you have the older 60 crowd attending parties, they like to party early and leave early. Usually they are gone by 9 PM so if you don't want to lose anyone have it earlier. If that isn't a factor you could do it later. The weather could be a factor in your party. If it's cool in the evening you might want to have it later as long as you have enough lighting for everyone to get around. Or the afternoon showers might cause a change of plans.

Most of the guests will be 40-early 50's so I settled on 5:00. I'm sending out the invitations tomorrow, three weeks ahead. I hope that's enough notice, I know if it's too far ahead people forget. I'm 46, will be 47 in October . . . it's so weird to think 50 is right around the corner. I know it's just a number but it's still . . . I don't know if I'll be as matter-of-fact as my husband.

Thanks for the advice and the well party wishes Very Happy
Juliette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Memento Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Many happy returns of the day to him, and best wishes for many more!

Thanks so much Susan, I hope so, too Very Happy
cheri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just threw a party for my Senior who is leaving to go into the Marines in a couple days. I know the stress level involved in throwing a party. I did the Photo Collage and it was great. it sounds like you have some great advice. Themes are good. Especially if he likes something. Luaus, sports etc. and stick with it throughout. Say a theme based cake, a drink in a punchbowl etc. Something that says him totally. I hope it turns out well, let us know and have fun with it, that's usually what makes it memorable. If you really can't think of any ideas, visit a decorations shop and browse. cheri
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I just threw a party for my Senior who is leaving to go into the Marines in a couple days.

I wish the very best for your son as he serves in the Marines.
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
cheri wrote:
I just threw a party for my Senior who is leaving to go into the Marines in a couple days.

I wish the very best for your son as he serves in the Marines.

Ah, thanks for that. He seems happy with his choice but he's not at boot camp yet Laughing . I really don't want him to go but I have to support him 100% whether I like it or not. We will see in a couple months how things are going. I can only hope for the best, worry and leave the rest to God. cheri
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:

Ah, thanks for that. He seems happy with his choice but he's not at boot camp yet Laughing . I really don't want him to go but I have to support him 100% whether I like it or not. We will see in a couple months how things are going. I can only hope for the best, worry and leave the rest to God. cheri

My oldest served in the Army in Iraq, and I know I didn't sleep well for a year. While there he worked as a counselor attached to a medical unit, and he's going to go to grad school in the fall to get a Masters in Social Work. He intends to focus on treating soldiers with PTSD. I personally am against the war and thought we never should have invaded, but I'm very proud of my son and am sure you're just as proud of yours. I wish you and your son all the best.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine started out going for the reserve unit for college money but I could tell his heart was really in it and he wanted to go full time but was worried what the family would think. He wants to be a state cop or at least a job in that field. It was no big shocker when he asked about going in full. We told him it's his life, his 4 yrs and he is the one that needs to be happy. The shocker was the ship date. He was supposed to go in September but they called him in for july7. Not as much time as we would have liked but I think mentally he's already left a while ago. Thanks for all the support. Now I know who to bug when the worrying gets to be too much. Very Happy cheri
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Mine started out going for the reserve unit for college money but I could tell his heart was really in it and he wanted to go full time but was worried what the family would think. He wants to be a state cop or at least a job in that field. It was no big shocker when he asked about going in full. We told him it's his life, his 4 yrs and he is the one that needs to be happy. The shocker was the ship date. He was supposed to go in September but they called him in for july7. Not as much time as we would have liked but I think mentally he's already left a while ago. Thanks for all the support. Now I know who to bug when the worrying gets to be too much. Very Happy cheri

One of the nicest things a friend did for me while my son was in Iraq was to get me together with two other women whose sons had been there. One woman had herself been a military nurse in Vietnam. Both of their boys were home when we first met, although one is now back on his second tour, but they knew exactly what I was going through. At that time I didn't know anyone else with a son on active duty, and it was so great to talk to other women who were experiencing the same emotions I was. If you have people you can talk to, it could be a big help.

One tip from my son -- check before sending dental floss in a care package to see if it's needed first. He said everyone sends it because it's small and useful, but it doesn't get used up very fast and they wound up with boxes and boxes of it on his base.
cheri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually send a ton of boxes once a year overseas to anysoldier.com. I had some of our local elementary kids do Valentines too . I've sent a lot of stuff over there but never thought about dental floss. That was probably a good idea, not sending any. Laughing Thanks for the tips. cheri
pinkbubble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a company that does many service things and one of the things we do is party planning. (not me, I am not that kind of creative) but one of the things we recommend so that the hostess can enjoy her own party is to hire someone to come in and help

set up (so the hostess can dress and put on makeup etc)
serve
clean up

some of these services will even do a pre or post party cleaning (like a quick maid service)

They usually run about 15 dollars an hour for one person with a 4 hr minimum. The people that use these services have a much higher satisfaction with their party than those that do not

I hope it is a success!
Juliette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Very Happy

Party's this Saturday, I'm a little nervous but I've got help. I really want to go with the party planner some day, it's so hard for me to settle down and enjoy. Most of the people we invited are coming, at least so far, so that part of my anxiety is easing. There's always a fair amount of people that don't let ya know, so I'll probably make calls for a head count by, I guess Wednesday?

I can't wait till is over with. I wish it wasn't always the way with me and social things. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: