AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summertime Chilled Soups and Other Hot Weather Eats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Summertime Chilled Soups and Other Hot Weather Eats Reply with quote

Since we've been suffering through our first heatwave here in Washington (and I imagine other places) I've been starting to think about easy to prepare recipes and foods that can be stored and pulled out quickly for such enervating weather. I'm particulary fond of soups, although salads are good too. (I just don't eat them quickly enough and the ingredients go bad faster.)

I went on a picnic with a couple of friends a couple of weeks ago and one of them made a chilled mint pea soup that was very refreshing and delicious. I'm asking her for the recipe. I've also made gazpacho in my time, but I wouldn't mind changing things up and trying something different. Although I've never made either, both cucumber soup and vichyssoise are on my radar screen.

Oh, by the way, the friend who made the soup passed the following website on to me the other day. So, for your information, here is a list of the fruits and vegetables most and least loaded with pesticides -- not that I'm good at paying attention to this. I was raised by a mother who liked TV dinners:

http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the best cold soup is GAZPACHO. It's like a reverse salad; instead of putting dressing on the chopped up vegetables, you put chopped up vegetables into the liquid, which is made up mostly of liquefied vegetables.
It's great for using up tomatoes, cucumbers and sweet peppers from your vegetable garden.

Kay
Audrey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also put a lot more effort into sandwiches in the summer in an effort to make them into a meal, like specialty breads or whatever.

Another "meal" we sometimes have when it's too hot to turn the stove on which seems like a snack but can be quite filling is a Mexican dip, the seven layer one. Especially if you sit around outside on the deck and eat it.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a huge fan of gazpacho in the summer. I'll be buying the ingredients this weekend to make my first batch. I also do lots of Greek peasant salads (cucumbers, feta, tomatoes, and olives) in the summer.

Another favorite, easy meal for me in the summer goes back to my childhood..BLTs (although I make them with turkey bacon).
Cyl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our favorite summertime sandwiches is simply cheese and tomato w/mayo; we prefer american or velveeta. My friend's summer favorite is cheese (american) and pineapple w/miracle whip.
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold stuffed grape leaves. Delicious!
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My friend's summer favorite is cheese (american) and pineapple w/miracle whip.

I must admit. That sounds kind of deadly. I have a recipe for Pineapple Casserole that, I guarantee, is good whether hot or cold. My family usually served it on special occasions, like holidays. It's fairly sweet and some see it as almost a dessert.

Back to my original message, my friend responded with some other cold soup recipes from the internet that she has tried while promising me the pea soup with mint recipe.

Here are the links she recommended:

Quote:
...here are two chilled cucumber soup recipes that looked easy - one with mint, one without. also a vichyssoise recipe. browse "epicurious.com" to find other cold soup recipes. off the top of my head, i can't think of particular ones for which i have good recipes. except for the spicy cucumber avocado soup from epicurious at the bottom of the list. i've made that one before, and i really liked it. enjoy!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHILLED-CUCUMBER-SOUP-15056

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/COLD-CUCUMBER-MINT-SOUP-12490

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/VICHYSSOISE-102030

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/reviews/SPICY-CUCUMBER-AVOCADO-SOUP-103659
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandylynn, that spicy avocado-cucumber soup sounds very interesting.
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a salad during the summer that my family loves, super easy.
I already have lettuce growing in my garden so I use that but you can get Romaine at the store.

Romaine lettuce, strawberrys(they're in season right now), walnuts and poppyseed dressing. Does not last long at my house. I usually do it with kabobs(chix or steak) so there isn't a lot of prep/cook time. cheri
georgie Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salads help get me through the hot months. I'll use leftover chicken or streak for salads. It's fast and it's cool.
www.georgie-lee.com
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a simple desert that's fast, easy and delicious mix jello that's been pre-made and vanilla ice cream in a blender to get a mousse like desert. I always use the strawberry jello that becomes pink when combined with the vanilla ice cream. If you are having a girl baby shower or a get together with the girls, this desert makes a pleasantly pink presentation. Plus it taste great considering it's so easy to prepare.
Cyl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
For a simple desert that's fast, easy and delicious mix jello that's been pre-made and vanilla ice cream in a blender to get a mousse like desert. I always use the strawberry jello that becomes pink when combined with the vanilla ice cream. If you are having a girl baby shower or a get together with the girls, this desert makes a pleasantly pink presentation. Plus it taste great considering it's so easy to prepare.

Karen,

This sounds like a wonderful dessert for July 4.

I want to make sure I understand your recipe (and ask a couple of questions). You prepare a box of jello and let it gel. Then you blend with ice cream? What size jello pkg and how much ice cream? Do you let it set in individual serving cups, or do you leave it in a serving bowl?

I think I might top it with some fresh blueberries for garnish.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyl wrote:
KarenS wrote:

Karen,

This sounds like a wonderful dessert for July 4.

I want to make sure I understand your recipe (and ask a couple of questions). You prepare a box of jello and let it gel. Then you blend with ice cream? What size jello pkg and how much ice cream? Do you let it set in individual serving cups, or do you leave it in a serving bowl?

I think I might top it with some fresh blueberries for garnish.

Cyl:

It's a tasty desert so I hope you'll enjoy it. I combine two jello packages together to make enough jello to mix with the ice cream. Prepare the jello as the instructions indicate. It needs to gel so make it ahead of time. Then when you're ready to make the desert, pour the jello into the blender and then add the vanilla ice cream. Add enough to be able to blend them adequately together. My mil gave me this recipe so I have always winged it with the ice cream. Usually I stop blending when the jello chunks are gone.

This recipe almost always gets rave reviews so I always have everyone guess the ingredients. Everyone is amazed that it's made by only two ingredients.

Bon appetit!

Karen
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyl:

I usually serve it separately in parfait glasses just to create a nice presentation.

The blueberries would make a very nice garnish.

Karen
Cyl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Karen. I'll let you know how it turns out. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: