AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Author Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissagirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Author Suggestions Reply with quote

I enjoy reading Julie Garwood, Linda Lael Miller, Anne Stuart, Johanna Lindsey and Sabrina Jeffries. Does anyone have any authors they would suggest I try? I've read most of what the ones I listed above have written so I need more authors to try.

Thanks so much.

-Melissagirl
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

You should go to the top of the page, click on Readers Choice, and then click on If You Like. There are lots of suggestions for books by authors similar to the ones you list.
Kimberly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Author suggestions Reply with quote

Hi Melissa:

I just asked the same question yesterday and got many, many good suggestions. It sounds like you read all of the authors that I do. I'm glad to hear someone else likes Anne Stuart too. I love her.

Elizabeth Lowell is excellent - her older books are historical try these:
"Only" series: Only His, Only Mine, Only You, Only Love, Autumn Lover, and Winter Fire. All of her contemporaries are great, especially
"Donovans" series: Amber Beach, Jade Island, Pearl Cove, and Midnight in Ruby Bayou.

Kathleen Woodiwiss' early novels are great: Shanna, the Flame and the Flower, A Rose in Winter, and Come Love a Stranger.

If you like Futuristic Nancy Cane is good: Circle of Light, Moonlight Rhapsody, and Starlight Child. Keeper of the Rings is a stand alone novel.

Christina Skye historical: Defiant Captive, The Black Rose, East of Forever, Come the Night Come the Dawn, and The Ruby. These are older books, but I loved them.

Tami Hoag is very good and, as always Heather Graham/Shannon Drake.

The new one's that I am going to try are Kresley Cole, Pamela Clare, Elizabeth Hoyt, and Lisa Kleypas. Went to USB today and picked up one from each. They come highly recommended.

I hope this helps.

Kimberly
athena_d

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melissa
I'm also a fan of Sabrina Jeffries. I discovered her by accident and went through her backlist in a week Very Happy

I would recommend Sophie Jordan. I like her writing style. I read her after I finished Jeffries' backlist. I remember thinking they were similar. I thought I was so lucky to discover two good authors consecutively. I was in book heaven for a month :)

Happy Reading!
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissagirl - I'd recommend Julia Quinn, especially her Bridgerton books; Mary Jo Putney's Fallen Angel books; and you can try Celeste Bradley.

If you could write a bit more about what kind of stories and characters you enjoy, I can try and come up with more specific suggestions. Good luck and happy reading!
melissagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yulie,
Your question is kind of hard because I have varying tastes. There have been times when I will read two books by the same author and not like one of them even though they were similar in style, characters, etc. I like alpha male heroes (Anne Stuart) but I also like no-nonsense heroines who put up a good fight (Johanna Lindsey and Julie Garwood). I'm also a sucker for a happy ending. I don't have a preference for the time period of the book-I like everything from Vikings to modern day characters. I've been interested in paranormal, but haven't tried any yet. I read one futuristic by Johanna Lindsey, but felt lost with all of the weird names and such. I'm one of those readers who gets stuck on the correct pronunciation of words that unfamiliar.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for the suggestions.

-Melissagirl
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissagirl, as you feared, that didn't really narrow it down... Very Happy But I think you can't get much more no-nonsense than shooting the hero if he misbehaves, so add Loretta Chase to your list. I like her older series (The Lion's Daughter, Captives of the Night, Lord of Scoundrels and The Last Hellion) better than her newer books (though I did like the recently published Your Scandalous Ways). LoS has been number one in the last three top 100 polls here at AAR, a placement I very much agree with.

In contemporaries, try Susan Elizabeth Phillips - her Chicago Stars books starting with It Had to be You are for the most part fantastic.
Kass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like alpha male heroes (Anne Stuart) but I also like no-nonsense heroines who put up a good fight (Johanna Lindsey and Julie Garwood).

Then you definitely shouldn't read Elizabeth Lowell, especially her older books, where the "heroes" are real dicks who treat the heroines like sh_t. I'd say go for older Jennifer Crusie (without Bob Mayer) and later Linda Howard (Son of the Morning, Mr. Perfect).

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some author suggestions:

Lisa Kleypas
Judith McNaught
Julia Quinn
Kathleen Woodiwiss
Christina Dodd
Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Jennifer Crusie
Nora Roberts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: