AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one of these books should I read?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlandros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think After The Night is funny, KarenS? I'm halfway through the book and it seems pretty angsty to me.

I'm loving the book BTW...This is the best heroine I've encountered in a looong time. I also realized how much I missed reading about modern men, LOL! Although reading about the 90s (no cell phones or internet) has been sooo weird!!!
AAR Rachel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urg. I hated After the Night. Hated it. Hated it.

The Proposition is very enjoyable. I just recently re-read it myself. Otherwise, I'd recommend In the Midnight Rain - but take care not to end peek!
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[. Howard, Wind and Kleypas are great story tellers so enjoy.[/quote]

Agree.....all three, I've enjoyed. FYI...Ruth Wind is also Barabara Samuels.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlandros wrote:
Do you really think After The Night is funny, KarenS? I'm halfway through the book and it seems pretty angsty to me.

Have you read the scene in the public restroom at the Court House yet?

Kay
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlandros wrote:

I'm loving the book BTW...This is the best heroine I've encountered in a looong time. I also realized how much I missed reading about modern men, LOL! Although reading about the 90s (no cell phones or internet) has been sooo weird!!!

Since Kay mentioned the Courthouse scene which is a classic in so many ways there is another funny scene at the end when Gray proposes to Faith that I think is pretty hilarious. Maybe I have a goofy sense of humor but both are terrificly funny imo. Also, some of the conversations Faith and Gray have are fairly witty and humorous. Gray's persona is a fun loving kind of guy yet serious and all business when he has to be. Howard shows us his witty side through dialogue. So for me this book is hot and funny at the same time.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
dlandros wrote:

Have you read the scene in the public restroom at the Court House yet?

Kay

Great scene....and so very, hot. I remember it vividly because this book is one of the first 10 or so romance novels I first read. I think a reread is in store soon. Classic Howard. Loved it when I read it.
willaful

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just rereading it today. There are some very funny scenes, even though it's a dark book overall.

Also just finished The Proposition, which I thought the weakest I've read by Ivory. I tend to get annoyed by books that too strongly resemble other sources. And the ending is so implausible and cliched, though perhaps it wasn't so when she wrote it.
dlandros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the truth, I didn't find the courthouse scene funny. I mean, it was hot and all, but IMHO, not funny. I kept thinking...what are they laughing about? I like Gray but I don't find him funny either. His jokes seem formulaic to me (as if the author read '100 Baudy Jokes for Romance Writers'.) That hasn't detracted from the book, though.

Willa - It took me a while to figure out you were the same Willa from the Romance forum at Paperbackswap! LOL! I have a different nick there - riahekans or D.G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: