AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Title for 1970s romance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellyf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Title for 1970s romance? Reply with quote

I think it was a Harlequin romance from the 70s (possibly 80 or 81, but no later), and I could swear that the main character's name was Serena or Siri. For certain she was an opera singer, who eventually appears in La Traviata. She absentmindedly gets engaged to a guy who loves her, not realizing what she's up to, but he realizes she's in love with the other guy (Damian, perhaps?) after the heroine burns her hand pulling scones out of the oven.

Anyhoo . . . any help with the title would be much appreciated!
Jenny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a contemporary or a historical?

Do you remember more details?

Jenny
Meljean Brook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's Trust in Summer Madness by Carole Mortimer? I'm sure I've read this one (and I read a lot of Mortimer then) but I can't remember if this is the right title, because it doesn't mention her being an opera singer. Also, the date might be too late (1984).

http://www.rainydayreads.com/detail/0373106696.asp
(This link includes the description and a picture of the cover.)

Quote:
This man should have been her husband

Jarrett King had walked out on Sian three years before, breaking their engagement and leaving her devastated. Now he was back, expecting her to come to him.

He had a wife. He was dating Sian's sister. He claimed to be in love with Sian. What sort of man was he?

And what sort of woman was she, she wondered, that a week before her marriage to another man she could still feel such a passion for Jarrett?
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there was a Mills & Boon/Harlequin author who was famous for writing stories about classical music, including opera singers, composers, etc. But I can't think of her name now. Sad
Sally in Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: 1970's romance Reply with quote

Mary Burchell wrote about opera singers and music for Mills and Boon. Her hero was Oscar Warrender with his own story and then he appeared as a secondary characters in later books.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970's romance Reply with quote

Sally in Scotland wrote:
Mary Burchell wrote about opera singers and music for Mills and Boon. Her hero was Oscar Warrender with his own story and then he appeared as a secondary characters in later books.

That's the one! No wonder I couldn't find her when I Googled the name "Margaret." Razz
kellyf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a contemporary. And not part of an established family series like Mary Burchell's was.

It opened with the girl (who I could swear was Serena and/or Siri) practicing her scales out of doors. She got a part as an understudy with an opera company, and I believe it was the director who formed the main love interest. Only there was another guy mooning after her who she considered only as a friend. The woman who was supposed to be Violetta in La Traviata was quite the diva (and mean-spirited, and possibly a prior lover of the director's, or wanted to be). At the end, the main character takes the stage, gives a glorious performance, and gets the guy. I could nearly swear it had a green cover (aren't I helpful? *snort*)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: