AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lynsay Sands..Argeneau vampire books
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jitterbug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A Quick Bite Reply with quote

melann wrote:
it would also provide some settings other than Regency-era England and contemporary times.

I would really like to read a series set in different times, but as Schola wrote, it would be very challenging from the author point of view. That is, if you expect the series to be accurate and not just "wallpapery". Maybe someday, someone... one can always hope :wink:

Schola wrote:
I'll admit that this "coincidence" of everyone finding their life-mates within a short period never really bothered me before, perhaps because I've read only one vampire book to date. Razz

I never really thought about it too, but now I see how it can be annoying. Unrealistic. Even in a paranormal book Wink
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Kresley Cole twists it a bit in Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night. The hero found his mate in the seventeenth century (if I remember correctly) and lost her when she died; so now he's trying to travel back in time to save her.

Yet I think a thorough world builder would be able to come up with a plausible explanation of why so many life-mates are popping up within a short time of each other. A conjuction of two slow-moving planets, maybe? It only happens once every several hundred years? Razz
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rashes of matches in paranormal series are little different from those in other romance series. Most romance series that I’ve read have a large number of matches in a short time. In fact, Quinn’s Bridgertons and Victoria Alexander’s Effington/Shelton series are the only romance series I’ve read that I can recall offhand as taking place over more than a few years. I’m sure there are others that I’m not thinking of right now. The timescale brings to mind jokes at the office about “something going around” when several workers had children in a short time. In fact, discussing it makes me wonder: has anyone ever studied whether relationship changes (starting or ending) are contagious through social networks the way they have found with gaining or losing weight and starting or stopping smoking?
There is another issue specific to vampire paranormals. The Sands series are more humorous than angsty, and I think such a tone would be extremely difficult to achieve with vampires that were still active predators of humans. The contemporary setting lets Sands have vampires who mostly consume only bagged blood, which could not be done in most historical settings.
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
There is another issue specific to vampire paranormals. The Sands series are more humorous than angsty, and I think such a tone would be extremely difficult to achieve with vampires that were still active predators of humans. The contemporary setting lets Sands have vampires who mostly consume only bagged blood, which could not be done in most historical settings.

Good point, Mark! They seem properly "civilised" now, but what were they doing a few decades ago, before bagged blood was readily available? Confused I realise that Sands intends to keep things light and is not the author to go to for complex world building, but if I don't believe in her centuries-old heroes from the beginning, then she has lost me.
bbmedos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to Feehan's Carpathian's, I'm pretty sure something was mentioned/came out in one of the most recent books that explains the current crop of lifemates. At least somewhat. I'd have to dig it out to remember precisely what it was. Or ask my son who seems to have taken those particular books hostage at the moment. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and there is a large gap - twenty-something years? - between the Prince and Raven's romance and the rest although I've always seen that entire series as existing in some kind of time warp anyway. Feehan just doesn't explain the passage of time happening in them to get a good fix on when each of the stories happen. So, I'm not sure when we're talking about that type of "fantasy" storytelling why telling stories of successive generations would change anything. So much of it is about suspension of disbelief to begin with.

As to the more general question of setting various romances within different time periods, I've often wondered about that too - both for a fantasy scenario like a vampire universe or say a generational family one. I've always thought it could be done and would be interesting to read. Now, if one is wanting/expecting perfect historical details, then sure, it's going to be a problem to add in extra eras and have them perfect or near perfect every single time by every single author. But if we're talking about "mostly" wallpaper backgrounds to begin with and or just breaking some molds in terms of settings, I'm not sure what the big deal would be stopping it from happening. Harlequin Historicals are pretty much all over the place anyway, aren't they? Quite a few single title authors at least attempt different eras in short stories. We're not really talking about filling in all that many time period gaps, are we?

Or are we? That's an honest question. Just how much does the romance genre routinely not cover historically?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: