AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catherine Coulter's suspense books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenniferdar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Catherine Coulter's suspense books Reply with quote

The "worst romances" thread got me wondering about Coulter's newer books which seem to be thrillers. Although I think she's an excellent storyteller, I couldn't stomach the rapist-heroes of her historicals. What are her new contemporary books like? Are they romantic suspense or just plain thrillers? Do the heroes rape the heroines in these?

Thanks! Smile
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read all of Coulter's FBI thrillers and have enjoyed them. Obviously, in a series that has 12 books and a 13th due out next month, some are better than others. I would give the series an average grade of "B."

The heroes and secondary male characters are all "politically correct" - no rapists in sight! They are often FBI agents so they are manly men but are respectful to the women and protective. The heroines are modern women who are intelligent, independent, and have their own careers. The only males that exhibit bad behavior are the criminals.

Despite some very serious stories, there is humor in the books as well. I enjoy the recurring couple in the story - married FBI agents Dillon Savitch and Lacey Sherlock. You always get a little bit of their romance in each book and a main romance between a new h/h in every story.

As far as how much romance vs. suspense? IMHO it is pretty well-balanced because the h/h are usually together for the entire book and we see the relationship develop. That is kind of a tough question to answer since everyone's take on that is different. The suspense and the relationship are pretty intertwined. Some might say the balance tips in favor of the suspense.

As with any author/book, the best way is to give them a try and see how you like the tone and feel of the book. I am looking forward to the new book Tailspin and will definitely buy it. And even though there are recurring characters, the books can definitely be read as stand-alones.
jitterbug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
The heroes and secondary male characters are all "politically correct" - no rapists in sight! They are often FBI agents so they are manly men but are respectful to the women and protective. The heroines are modern women who are intelligent, independent, and have their own careers. The only males that exhibit bad behavior are the criminals.
[...]I enjoy the recurring couple in the story - married FBI agents Dillon Savitch and Lacey Sherlock. You always get a little bit of their romance in each book and a main romance between a new h/h in every story.

I agree that her contemporary heros are PC. That's a relief. The historical ones are too awful to contemplate Razz.
I remember I enjoyed Dillon and Sherlock's story, The Maze, but I also remember having a complaint: at one point they're discussing their views about the death penalty - I don't like when an author preaches, either way, and that's what CC does in that instance. It's pointless anyway: it's known that romantic suspence's villains are killed at the end of (almost) every book Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: