AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me find some good anthologies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cameillia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Help me find some good anthologies. Reply with quote

I went into a used booked store and found this absolutey great book called Moonlight, Madness & Magic. I think i read it before but who cares i was good.

This book would have had to be written even before the was a craving for the supernatural in the romance world.

It not only had the supernatural element (which i'm not a big fan of) but it had a good story with good sex (nothing raunchy) but good nevertheless.

Im looking for an anthology with a good story and good sex. Not like most anthologies im seeing nowadays where its like 20 pages long with sex making up 15 of the pages.

Thank you in advance for any good recommendations that you may have.
Trish B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like them historical, hot and spicy, you could try a three story anthology by Sylvia Day with the rather unfortunate title Bad Boys Ahoy! The three stories are vaguely connected and each is about 100 pages long. They are set in the Regency IIRC and one has a pirate hero, one a gaming club owner and one a gentleman with an irresisponsible past. Her heroines are not always virgins, but even the virgins are not shrinking violets when it comes to sex. I had fun reading it.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few I've really liked and kept after weeding out half of my books. Scandolous Brides..Christina Dodd, Leslie La Foy and Celeste Bradley (one more...maybe Kleypas...can't remember) Historical..all the stories are good. more...Jingle Bell Rock...Susan Donovan, Lori Foster and one more author. I know...it's a Christmas anthology, but it's HOT, HOT. Also, Hot and Bothered..Lori Foster again. The story Luring Lucy is the best she's ever written IMO.
blossom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older ones that you may have already read or may be hard to find, Three Weddings and a Kiss by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, Lisa Kleypas, Loretta Chase, and Catherine Anderson, and Tea for Two by Cathy Maxwell and Liz Carlyle

I read these some time ago and can't really remember what each story was about, but remember that I enjoyed them and was not disappointed as I usually am with anthologies...but of course some great authors.
graceC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one called 'Tapestry" with Karen Moning, Sherilyn Kenyon, Madeline Hunter, and another one (don't remember the name). Both Karen Moning and Sherilyn Kenyon's stories were paranormal with sexy scenes. Madeline Hunter's was straight historical but also sexy scenes. It was one of the best anthologies I've encountered so far.
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read very few anthologies as they just don't appear on my radar. However, I can recommend one that is excellent. Its title is something like A Bouquet of Babies with stories by Linda Howard, Paula Detmar Riggs and one other author(blanking on name). Don't have the anthology handy as I loaned it to a friend who I thought would enjoy Riggs's story.
The theme is babies, of course! Howard's is a great Mother's Day story and Riggs's story focuses on physical disabilities.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best recent anthologies is Irresistible Forces with stories by Jo Beverley, Lois McMaster Bujold, Mary Jo Putney, Catherine Asaro, Jennifer Roberson, and Deb Stover. Catherine Asaro edited the collection.
The Bujold story, Winterfair Gifts, is the story of Miles Vorkosigan's wedding to Ekaterin. The Roberson story unites Robin and Marian with the King Arthur legend.

Kay
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: anthologies Reply with quote

Are you interested in contemporaries of historical anthologies? AAR did a top 10 list for anthologies last year. Here is the link:
http://www.likesbooks.com/anthologies2007.html

Contemporaries:
Meltdown by Shannon McKenna from Bad Boys Next Exit (and one of her best IMO)
If you like Lisa Marie Rice, her story Secluded is in Secrets vol 9
Ann Stuart's Catspaw I and II

Historicals
The Love Match by Rosanne Becnal from Scandalous Weddings
The Blackmoor Devil by Patricia Coughlin from When You Wish
A House East of Regent Street by Pam Rosenthal in Strangers in the Night.
Fascinated is very steamy with stories from Robin Schone, Bertrice Small, Susan Johnson, and Thea Devine. I especially liked Schone's story.
The Third Suitor by Christina Dodd in Hero Come Back
and Wish List with stories from Lisa Kleypas, Lisa Cach, Claudia Dain, and Lynsay Sands (All stories are good).
Once Upon a Pillow with stories by Dodd and Brockway
I would like to second Trish's rec for Bad Boys Ahoy by Sylvia Day. All three stories are a treat and second Blossom's rec for Three Weddings and a Kiss with stories by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, Lisa Kleypas, Loretta Chase, and Catherine Anderson (all stories are good).
Edith Layton and Mary Balogh have some great regency anthologies, especially Christmas ones. If you can't tell, I love Anthologies. I get interrupted a lot when I try to read and they give me a chance to finish stories in one sitting. Sometimes I think I lose the flow and impact of a longer story when I have to keep setting a book down.
Cameillia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally prefer contemporaries

cant stand the ridicule of "the ton"
blossom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try again, for contemporaries check out

Big Guns Out of Uniform by Nicole Camden, Liz Carlyle, and Sherrilyn Kenyon...remember enjoying the Carlyle story

Playing Easy to Get by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kresley Cole, and Jaid Black...only read the Cole story in this one, it was the first installment in her Immortals After Dark Series
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly a year ago we did mini polls on AAR readers' top ten short stories and top ten anthologies. You can read the results here:

http://www.likesbooks.com/anthologies2007.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: