AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lover Enshrined
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeggyL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven’t formally started with Enshrined and after reading your comments, I dread to even pick it up.
About the time between Eternal and Awakened I loved the series so much that I frequently visited Ward’s Web-site (without however participating in MB discussions for the obvious reason that I did not “get” all the inside-talks amongst her die hard fans) to find out more about the world she had built as well as the next installment. I was enthralled if not just plainly hooked then.
What followed was just one disappointment after another (I’ll probably be lynched somewhere just by saying this!): not only did Ward deviate from the main Romance theme, she kept on dumping new characters, sub-plots (thus story arcs) that are all over the place and hard to follow—it was not unlike reading with the wrong pair of glasses resulting in lost concentration and headaches. For me, the biggest letdown is her treatment of the B and V “relationship” and I believed there was definitely an extraordinary one building only to be nipped when the time came for V’s story to develop and she forcefully assigned a female to him just to play safe. As for Phury, although he is not my favourite Brother, I do hope very much he would get an HEA he so deserves, given his one-way love for Bella (cannot say unrequited here, because his affections are returned) and his sacrifice (?) on others’ behalf. Simply put, this guy needs a break!
Well, it's a sad, sad thing to see this series "end" (for me anyway) on such a note.
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm hooked on this series but somewhat resentful of my addiction. I did like this one better than Lover Unbound; the idea of ghost Jane floating around still annoys me. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed John Matthew, Blay, and Qhuinn and I also look forward to Rehv's story (possibly with Payne as a love interest, but who knows). This book also made me change my attitude toward Xhex--by the way, was I the only one who pronounced this "Zhex" when it's supposed to be "Hex"?...weird-- who I did not find very appealing before, and Cormia, who may not be the most interesting heroine but was much more engaging than I thought she would be. Lassiter was a bonus IMO as was the return of Tohrment and the humor of the Chosen let loose in the modern world (I hope there is a Brother in store for Layla).

Now to the resentment. Lover Awakened is the crowning jewel of this series with Lover Eternal as a close second. As a result Zsadist is my favorite Brother and according to Ward he is her favorite too. I think Ward takes for granted how much more we as readers wanted for Phury as Zsadist's tortured twin since he was part of the reason Lover Awakened was so good. This relationship between the twins is one of the most poignant ones in the series and for that reason we wanted a really good book for Phury when it was his turn. I enjoyed the book and I don't mind Phury and Cormia, but they are no Bella and Zsadist by far; the wizard and Phury got more time than he and Cormia and that was disappointing.

I'll keep reading for the next generation of Brothers and to see how the sympaths play into this war between Lessers and Vampires. I hope to see more romance in the future, but I won't count on it.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Lover Enshrined and honestly I don't know if I'm going to continue on with the series. I read more Urban Fantasy than Romance these days so that's not an issue. What I am just so sick and tired of is the constant state of pity and self hatred that these heroes engage in. I can enjoy a tortured hero as much as the next reader but enough already. I know they all have tragic pasts but it's gotten to be too much, one right after the other and this constant stream of inner despair is making me feel well...depressed. Drug addiction, suicidal thoughts, self loathing and battery. Ugh. By the time their HEA (of various degrees) comes around I feel a sense of relief but there's not much joy in it. I have no desire to read Rehv's story because it's going to be an entire book of the same. Maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me but I seemed to remember these books being a little more fun in the beginning.

I did enjoy learning more about John, Qhuinn and Blay. Their youth was a bit of a shining light in the story but already I can see that going downhill fast as they each must suffer in some way.

Linda
Audrey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward said in a thread at Dear Author that the nurse who brings Butch coffee while he's waiting for John Matthew at the clinic and also the one who helps Phury evacuate the clinic in Lover Enshrined is Rehv's mate, Ehlena.

I have let this book percolate in my head for a few days and I think that the overall impression I get is that because there's too many other storylines, by the time you get to the book about a certain person, there's almost not much to tell anymore, making it seem like yeah whatever. It's starting to seem like a neverending litany, instead of a series of stories. I think I'm reading a five thousand page book, doled out in four hundred page chunks. Smile
jitterbug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey wrote:
Ehlena.

Rolling Eyes
Missy4u

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel like I'm hooked on this series but somewhat resentful of my addiction.

I completely feel you on this sentiment. And part of me is also angry with me because I actually BOUGHT.. I BOUGHT all six books. I do not regret buying the first 3 but the next 3 Mad is how I feel. Reason being, after reading romance for years and years, I know that no one author can deliever and I am VERY VERY careful about the books I buy cause hey at the end of the day it is money!! So instead of buying I should have borrowed or something or wait to get it second hand... anyway... thats part of why I am sort of resentful.

Quote:
What I am just so sick and tired of is the constant state of pity and self hatred that these heroes engage in. I can enjoy a tortured hero as much as the next reader but enough already. I know they all have tragic pasts but it's gotten to be too much, one right after the other and this constant stream of inner despair is making me feel well...depressed. Drug addiction, suicidal thoughts, self loathing and battery. Ugh. By the time their HEA (of various degrees) comes around I feel a sense of relief but there's not much joy in it

Bingo! I have nothing more to add to that. You hit the nail on the head.
SarahT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like the BDB series, I've only awarded DIK status to one of the 6 books: Lover Awakened.

My grades for the series are as follows:
Dark Lover = B-
Lover Eternal = B
Lover Awakened = A-
Lover Revealed = C+
Lover Unbound = C-
Lover Enshrined = B

So Lover Enshrined is actually one of the better installments, IMO. It was a vast imrovement on Lover Unbound. My favourite parts were those featuring Rhev & John Matthew & his friends. I also loved the plot twist involving Lash. I'm probably sick and twisted but I think he's rather hot!

Unlike many other readers, I can't say I was disappointed in the Phury/Cormia storyline as I'd given up the idea that Ward writes straight romance (no pun intended!) about three books ago. Frankly, I think she does world building and the war between the Lessers and the BDB far better than she does romance.

Ward is not my favourite author and I don't always give her books good grades. Yet her writing is oddly compelling and I find myself picking up her new releases even if I wasn't wild on her previous book, sort of like I do with Rachel Gibson & Nalini Singh.

That said, I doubt I'll fork out the price of a hardcover for Rhev's book and wait until it's released in paperback.
lada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: book review? Reply with quote

Does anyone know why AAR isn't reviewing this book? I looked it up in upcoming reviews and it's not listed.

Thanks for all the reader feedback. I read LEn despite my trepidations and like many, was disappointed. I wish she hadn't forced the romance between Cormia and Phury and agree with previous posts that his pity-party went on way too long. It would have been nice to to spend more time with him in recovery and rebuilding his relationships.

What I miss most is the interaction between the brothers. IMHO, what made the series so interesting was the ties and history that bound them and their unwavering loyalty to each other. Too bad Ward seems to be making it every vampire for himself.
Lynn M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, ranking them really appeals to me. I decided to go back and reread what I had believed to be my least favorite two installments (before LEn, that is), LR and LU. But on a second reading, I'm actually more positive about them. I think this is because I now skim over all the lesser parts and the stuff that bores me or detracts from the story lines that I like.

Here's where I end up:

Dark Lover = A-
Lover Eternal = B
Lover Awakened = A
Lover Revealed = B-
Lover Unbound = C+
Lover Enshrined = C

Or, another way of looking at it is from favorite to least favorite:

Lover Awakened - #1 by far
Dark Lover - #2
Lover Eternal - #3
Lover Revealed - #4 (actually a tie with Lover Eternal)
Lover Unbound - #5
Lover Enshrined - #6
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: book review? Reply with quote

lada wrote:
Does anyone know why AAR isn't reviewing this book? I looked it up in upcoming reviews and it's not listed.

I've been wondering about this, too. I keep checking, but no review. (I don't think The Romance Reader has reviewed it, either.)
Terese

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: book review? Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
lada wrote:

I've been wondering about this, too. I keep checking, but no review. (I don't think The Romance Reader has reviewed it, either.)

I wonder if it is because of possible spoilers in a review. I know that at the JR Ward message boards it is forbidden to post any sort of spoiler or even a link to a review with spoilers. When a link was posted to an AAR review of a previous book the moderators were unhappy. I know because I was the poster of that link and I got my hands politely slapped. That was at a time in my life when I was dealing with some emotional crises and that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I decided that I was not a good fit for the message boards there.

I really like the first three books. But now it's a bit too much soap opera-y for me. I'll still read Rehvenge's story (preferably from the library) but after that I doubt I'll continue. I still enjoy the Jessica Bird series books like the billionaire next door. And I hear there's another series JR Ward is working on and I may try that one. Ienjoy a lot of her writing style.
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Lover Enshrined Reply with quote

After realizing several days ago that Lover Enshrined was not up for review at AAR, I volunteered to write the review. I am reading it right now and hope to have the review online in a week or so.
Lea AAR
LLB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: We posted our review today Reply with quote

Just wanted to revive this thread after moving it from RTR by mentioning that we posted our review today.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lover Enshrined Reply with quote

Lea/AAR wrote:
After realizing several days ago that Lover Enshrined was not up for review at AAR, I volunteered to write the review. I am reading it right now and hope to have the review online in a week or so.
Lea AAR

Dear Lea,
Great review of a good book. However, I think that JRW spells "Viscous" with an "H" in it somewhere; I can't remember the correct spelling myself. When I pronounced your spelling, it reminded me of the Lessers' innards.

Kay

P.S. (Here is what I wrote on the Pot Pourri board.)

Lover Enshrined by J. R. Ward: grade B+. For me it is a great story with interesting characters and environment. That is what I expect from Ward. So far, she has fulfilled my expectations.
LLB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lover Enshrined Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Dear Lea,
Great review of a good book. However, I think that JRW spells "Viscous" with an "H" in it somewhere; I can't remember the correct spelling myself. When I pronounced your spelling, it reminded me of the Lessers' innards.

Kay -

I just made the correction...thanks for keeping us on our toes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: