AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Series with Staying Power
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series: Slave to Sensation, Visions of Heat, Caressed by Ice, Mine to Possess, and coming this Sept., Hostage to Pleasure.

Robin D. Owens's HeartMate series: HeartMate, Heart Thief, Heart Duel, Heart Choice, Heart Quest, Heart Dance, and also coming this Sept., Heart Fate. These are set on the planet Celta, which humans from Earth colonized. Each book IS a romance set in a world where psychic talents determine one's social status for the stronger an individual's "Flair" the more in demand one's services and products will be. Owens continues to engage the reader in the interactions of her protagonists and the workings of her fictional world. It is not that each book is better than the last, but that each is of equally fine quality. I very much recommend them. I am currently reading Heart Dance. For some unfathomable reason the publisher decided to release it as a trade paperback (in 2007); I waited for the mass market version, which was just released. I'll probably follow the same path with Heart Fate.

Kay
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read and enjoyed at least a pentalogy in each of these:
Victoria Alexander’s Effington/Shelton series.
Annette Blair’s witch series.
Celeste Bradley’s Liar’s Club series.
Emily Carmichael’s Miss Piggy series.
Jayne Castle’s Curtain series (Psynergy & Harmony).
First 5 books in Judy Christenberry’s Circle K series.
Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series.
MaryJanice Davidson’s Undead series.
Sandra Hill’s Last Viking series.
Kate Huntington’s Whittaker series.
Sabrina Jeffries’ connected Swanlea + Pirate Lord series & Royal series.
Emma Jensen’s Choice Deceptions series.
Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series.
Judith A. Lansdowne’s connected Blackcastle + Quiggley series.
Katie MacAlister’s vampires series.
Quite a few of Kasey Michaels’ alphabet Regencies.
Robin D. Owens’ Celta series.
SEP’s Stars series.
Julie Quinn’s Bridgerton series.
Lynsay Sands’ vampire series.
Christine Warren’s Others series.
The list would be much longer if I included tetralogies, trilogies and duos, or if I included the many F&SF series I like (such as the Liad series I’m in the middle of rereading).
I also have a huge number of books in series tbr.
Schola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
RichMissTallant wrote:
Edited - I forgot about Jo Bev's Malloren series. What do y'all think? If I remember correctly, the review for Devilish was pretty low (C+), but I really liked it, and I also enjoyed the others (the 3rd perhaps the least - Fort wasn't my favourite hero).

I've read everything but My Lady Notorious and the latest book (if you count A Lady's Secret, that is).

Devilish is also my favourite. In fact, I think it's the best thing Beverley has ever written! Very Happy

I think that she did a good job of giving the different Malloren personalities his (or her) own adventure and special someone.

Still on the subject of Jo Beverley, what about her Company of Rogues? Very Happy I'd say that Forbidden has the best set up (though since it was written so early, it doesn't have the intricate theme weaving I've come to expect from her), but that The Rogue's Return is the best written of the series.

Strangely enough (and I wonder if I'm alone in this), I don't quite like Nicholas. Confused I know he's "King Rogue" and he either appears in or overshadows each book, but I have never warmed to him.

I tend to like the "spin-off" stories better, especially The Devil's Heiress (the hero is a close friend of one Rogue) and St. Raven (the hero helped a woman once courted by two different Rogues to find her true love). Yet my favourite Beverley novel set in the Regency is the stand-alone Forbidden Magic! Very Happy
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Forbidden Magic Reply with quote

Schola wrote:

Yet my favourite Beverley novel set in the Regency is the stand-alone Forbidden Magic! Very Happy

This isn't my favorite Jo Beverley, but I do like it a lot. I loved the hero, who adopts strays of all sorts, and how his staff makes sure his rooms are filled with ugly items to toss about when he's angry. He's such a charmer.
damfino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Charlaine Harris's "Sooke Stackhouse" (Souther Vampires) series has held up REALLY well, and delves into the psychology of the characters in each book. Her other series mysteries also held up very well.
Sissy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Series with staying power Reply with quote

I enjoyed Patricia Rice's Magic series
Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series
Mary Balogh's Slightly
Susan Wiggs' Lakeshore Chronicles (contemporary)
Lisa Kleypas' Wall Flower series (only 4 books)
JaneO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is officially a series, but Liz Carlyle's books from My False Heart through The Devil to Pay all have related and recurring characters, and I love virtually all of them.
And if you consider foour books a series:
Eloisa James' Essex sisters books the first and last are among my all-time favorites.
Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower series
Loretta Chase's Carsington brothers
cawm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:

Other than the In Death series by JD Robb, my longest series have been mystery series, such as the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters, and Laurie King's Mary Russell and S. holmes series. Even in these series there have been some less than stellar entrants. But, I have followed quite a few, long mystery series.

I've followed dozens of mystery series over the years, but in almost all of them, including the Amelia Peabody series, I find that the quality declines after the first few titles. I can understand why the authors keep writing them, because they have a guaranteed audience, but I can't undertand the appeal to readers. I'm a librarian who orders all the fiction for the library where I work, and when the 20th title in some ongoing series is about to be released, and dozens of people are on the waiting list for it, I am completely baffled. I want to ask them how they can possible still be interested, when even the author seems to be bored and just going through the motions.
Cyl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauraleekitty wrote:
Has anyone read the newest ICE book, FIRE AND ICE?? It got mixed reviews on Amazon.

There is a discussion about this book on the reviews board.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "discover" a lot of new authors and titles here at AAR which leads me to a lot of backlists. The problem I have here with a many-volumed series is that it is daunting to a new reader. While some series are loosely connected and you don't need to read the earlier books to enjoy the current volume, others require you start at the beginning. For example, I have heard so much good feedback on the "In Death..." series by J. D. Robb, but there are like 27 books in the series. The thought of starting at book 1 is overwhelming, and I feel as if I can never be caught up.

Obviously, if a series is running that long it must be popular, but I wonder if an author limits her audience by not attracting new readers in a case like this. Going back and reading 2 or 3 books is not so bad, but volumes in the double digits? Yikes! What can I say?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: