AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amanda Quick recs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick is one of my very favorite historical authors who writes delightful stories. She's definitely a comfort read for me. Seduction was her first historical which I recommend. Then the rest are pretty good as well so I don't think you'll go wrong reading any of them. Hopefully, you'll like her style, her characters and the plot she comes up with. Her heroines tend to be older and wiser which I like(usually on the blue-stocking side) who aren't afraid of the hero and knows how to deal with men. Usually the heroine ask the hero for help in a matter so that's how they get together. They deal with the situation and then find themselves attracted to each other. Her earlier stories tend to be more romantic than the latter ones but that's just my opinion.
Juliette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I like them all, but I add a vote for "Mystique" as the best--and it's laugh-out-loud funny.

I loved Mystique as well.

The first one I read was With This Ring, and there was something so special about that one, the way it began, very gothic. I enjoyed Rendezvous, but Mystique is my favorite . . . so far. I've only read about a half dozen, though I have aquired almost all and will get to them all eventually. Enjoy!
Suzanna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation of Deception. Also Dangerous (ghost-hunting duo), Desire (has some very funny scenes), Mistress, and Paid Companion (my own favourite). The fossil theme in Ravished is fun, as is the nerdy hero in Affair.

I have reservations about Seduction - it has a very appealing heroine, but I disliked the pompous, overbearing hero, who made promises to her then thought nothing of breaking them (his reasoning being that she couldn't possibly have expected him to take them seriously). (See Mrs Giggles for a review by someone who absolutely loathed the hero). And I disliked the Lavinia/Tobias series - I thought the heroine was very brash, and I didn't think there was much chemistry h/h.
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Yuri wrote:
I would stay away from "Reckless" (slightly TSTL heroine) and "Rendevous" whose heroine is a little headstrong at times.

I think that's why I enjoyed Rendezvous so much, Yuri. She really was rather headstrong, but in a very humorous way. I liked the hero in that one, too. Ah--each to their own! Very Happy

I like Augusta too, but I always like to keep the reccomendees preference in mind Smile. My favorite thing about Rendezvous was Pompeiia's - I really wanted to belong to that club!
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

Yuri wrote:
I like Augusta too, but I always like to keep the reccomendees preference in mind Smile. My favorite thing about Rendezvous was Pompeiia's - I really wanted to belong to that club!

Oh yes, loved Pompeiia's. I really liked Augusta's stepdaughter. I can't remember her name now, but I've always hoped she would some day get a story, so we could revisit everyone.
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been trying out a couple of Quick books from the recommendations here, and I just can't seem to get into them. The dialogue always bothers me and comes off as too unnatural, and I don't warm up to the heroes or heroines in the ones I've tried, although I've found The Paid Companion the most enjoyable so far. I don't think I'll completely give up on Quick, but I'm thinking that, when it's all said and done, she may not be the author for me. But thanks to everyone again for the suggestions!

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh yes, loved Pompeiia's. I really liked Augusta's stepdaughter. I can't remember her name now, but I've always hoped she would some day get a story, so we could revisit everyone.

Meredith - which is a little odd as back then I THINK it was exclusively a man's name. Like Evelyn, Vivian, Hilary and Shirley. But that's OT. Like you I found the idea of Pompeiia's to be great fun. It's something I really enjoy with AQ; how with a simple twist she can turn something on its head. In this case the concept of a gentlemen's club - for women. Or the duel between Sophia and the courtesan in Seduction.

Elizabeth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: