AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those of you who share a bed/room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandaSue wrote:
Get him eyeshades.

If he still can't sleep ... ask yourself why he's trying to control your reading habits. After all, you're right next to him, leg to leg, in the same bed ... with HIM.

Right on, WandaSue. I've been married for 29 years and it was a case of "love me, love my reading habit - get used to it - I was reading long before I met you!!". I don't complain when he goes to the pub with his friends on a Friday night and comes back full of liquid that requires several trips to the loo in the night and he doesn't complain about me reading in bed. We each have a light over our side of the bed and he can always roll over and face the opposite direction! Give & Take, Give & Take!!
mamaofthree1963

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awwww--I can definitely sympathize with you! Washing my face and putting on my nightgown and grabbing my tea and my current book are all a comforting prelude to fluffing up my pillows, tucking m'self in, and reading 'til I get sleepy. It's cozy, and very often my most favorite moment of my day.

I sure hope some of these great suggestions work for you, or for your hubby. Mine doesn't care a whit that I read in bed---but then he'd better not: he goes to sleep with either SportsCenter or the NFL channel!

Good luck, and let us know how things go. Will keep my fingers crossed...

rob
Nana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest the eye shirt. I could never sleep with elastics over my ears, but having a tank top draped over my eyes is actually kind of cozy and reminiscent of midafternoon couch naps. My now-husband fell in love with this suggestion back when he was in his college dorm and had a bright light out the window. The shirt should be dark - mine's purple and his is black - and either old/washed or of a naturally soft thin fabric. Tank tops work best because no sleeves get in the way.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
...then I move to the sofa in the family room. I situate my pillows, stretch out and read until I get sleepy. Laying horizontal on the sofa is just as relaxing as being in bed.

Exactly my position for reading on the couch, KarenS.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle B wrote:
WandaSue wrote:
Get him eyeshades.

If he still can't sleep ... ask yourself why he's trying to control your reading habits. After all, you're right next to him, leg to leg, in the same bed ... with HIM.

LOL I wouldn't call him a control freak but there are two things he loves and is passionate about his sleep and his cars. Asking him to forgo his sleep would be similar to him asking me to keep my books in boxes in the basement. If I really wanted to dig my heels in I would just go to bed and read he wouldn't be able to do too much about it but I do respect the fact that he needs his sleep (he works rotating shifts so his schedule is always changing and when he's on days he has to get up at 4:45 a.m. to go to work) which is why I'm trying to find a way for him to sleep but still let me read.

The eye shades though... I never thought of that. I'm not sure where I would buy them but I think I'll pop out this weekend and have a look around. I may check out some more reading lights the next time were in the states the only once I've tried are the few models here in Canada at chapters but they don't do much for me.

Thanks again

Danielle

I'm just chiming in to say something in defense of your SO. I'm sure he doesn't want to curb or control your reading habits. I know this because I have this problem too, I absolutely can't sleep with electric lights on. I didn't even manage to sleep with a light on while I still shared a room with my brother and that was when I was really a young kid-under six. I remember that my family tried to tone the light down or hang a veil over it but absolutely nothing worked. Ultimately my brother got his own room.

I always have been a very light sleeper and my sleep is generally not a very good one-I wake up very often. In a relationship I prefer to have my own room actually. I have never been good at sharing a bed room with someone else. Thoroughly unromantic but there it is Wink Funny that these kind of problems are never addressed in a romance.

Kerstin
Schola

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I have nothing useful to say, but I'd like to share my own experience, if nobody minds. Very Happy

I had a roommate in uni who was so sensitive to light that she would wake up if I used my (silent) mobile phone in the middle of the night. Just the glow from the backlight could rouse her! Shocked

Once, I tried the old torch-under-the-covers trick, waiting until I had both a thick wool blanket and a duvet over my head before turning the light on. That time, the click from the torch woke her up! Laughing
Kerstin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
+IHS+

I have nothing useful to say, but I'd like to share my own experience, if nobody minds. Very Happy

I had a roommate in uni who was so sensitive to light that she would wake up if I used my (silent) mobile phone in the middle of the night. Just the glow from the backlight could rouse her! Shocked

Once, I tried the old torch-under-the-covers trick, waiting until I had both a thick wool blanket and a duvet over my head before turning the light on. That time, the click from the torch woke her up! Laughing

OMG, I never thought that there are other light sleeper out there who even top me by miles. LOL!!!

Kerstin
Schola

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that make you feel better, Kerstin? Wink

Oh, regarding something you said earlier: Yes, these kinds of "bedroom problems" never seem to crop up in an HEA. Nor does the issue of exactly what temperature one wants the air around one to be!
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
In a relationship I prefer to have my own room actually. I have never been good at sharing a bed room with someone else. Thoroughly unromantic but there it is Wink Funny that these kind of problems are never addressed in a romance.

Heaven forbid that authors include real-life things like that and taking the chance of squashing the fantasy of the romance! Laughing
Danielle B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much everyone for all your suggestions. I obviously haven't been looking hard enough for a decent book lamp. Hubby did not like the eyeshade idea so that one is out of the question. The handkerchief however... if I wait till he's asleep before covering his eyes he'll probably never know.

Anyhoo, I'm off with a list of things to look for Smile
gemiwing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: maybe I can help Reply with quote

There's a new booklight I found (havent tried it yet) that uses an illuminated clear sheet to light the book. Maybe that would be better so the light doesn't keep your hubby up. Its called a LightWedge.

Hope you can find something that'll help Smile
sssspro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I read mostly by ebook. I have the EXACT same problem. My hubby has to go to sleep with the TV on (he puts the timer on the TV), but can't usually sleep if I have my light on. So, I've learned to love my Tungsten 2E.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: For those of you who share a bed/room Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Danielle B wrote:
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated it's been over two years now and sitting downstairs alone on the couch into the wee hours of the morning to finish a book is just not the same as curling up in bed with one.

Sorry, Danielle, I'll not be of any help here, since my ideal conditions for reading are just totally the opposite of yours. I have a spot on the couch that's mine alone. And when I read, I prefer to be alone, with few distractions. The bed is probably the most uncomfortable position and place for me for reading, except when I'm in a hotel with limited alternatives.

Good luck in getting suggestions from others. I'll be interested to hear them.

I am a couch reader too, I find trying to read in bed very uncomfortable.

I have sympathy for your hubby, when I sleep I must have no noise and no light or I get restless and toss and turn. I think even the turning of the pages would drive me up the wall. *G*

Have you considered maybe getting into bed to read an hour or so before he goes to bed? That way you could have your comfy bed time and he can get a peaceful nights sleep.

Linda
Danielle B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: For those of you who share a bed/room Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

I am a couch reader too, I find trying to read in bed very uncomfortable.

I have sympathy for your hubby, when I sleep I must have no noise and no light or I get restless and toss and turn. I think even the turning of the pages would drive me up the wall. *G*

Have you considered maybe getting into bed to read an hour or so before he goes to bed? That way you could have your comfy bed time and he can get a peaceful nights sleep.

Linda

Unfortunatly because he's getting up so early to go work hes usually in bed before me. I'd have to go to bed at 8:00 to get my reading time in and then I'd never be able to fall asleep as early as 9:00 when he came to bed :(

I've been out looking at book lights and funds are a bit tight now but there are a few that look promising. I've been trying to find the light wedge but no luck yet.

Danielle
blossom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danielle B,

I am in Canada too, here is a link to some info about the light wedge http://www.lightwedge.com/pressroom.html. It is available from Amazon.ca. I have never used this, I have pretty much given up on book lights; none of them seem to work very well. If you do find something that works for you, let us know, I would love to hear about it.

Your hubby is lucky that you are not in Northern Canada, we are almost at 24 hours of sunlight now...longest day of the year coming up this weekend!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: