AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hidden Treasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I can't recall having read Bretton before but liked Just Desserts so much I borrowed Just Like Heaven. Reading time is limited right now but hopefully soon. Any other of Bretton's I should focus on? Thanks!

Just Like Heaven is among those titles that I don't recall loving or hating. But the brief synopsis I read about it makes me think it wasn't one of my favorites of hers. Along those same lines, At Last and No Safe Place are other titles that ring no happy bells for me.

However, there are some that I do remember quite well (not a list person here--sorry). They are--

Sleeping Alone
Shore Lights
The Day we Met
Once Around
A Soft Place to Fall

The one thing with Bretton is that she sometimes tackles a difficult issue, handles it quite well throughout the book, then makes the fix a little too easy compared to how it may work out in the real world. But she can put together a good story; so in the tradition of romance reading, we need to remember that all is not reality and there is fantasy in it (the amount depending on the author).

Sleeping Alone is one such book. I really liked it a lot. It deals from the get-go about infidelity and abuse, but you really don't get into that too much other than the heroine going on once she's made her decision. It literally begins with the change the heroine is making. Great story. I read it a while back and wonder sometimes if it would hold up today for me.

Bretton isn't quite Robyn Carr, by any means; but she has the ability to get into characters quite deeply. But not many do it better than Carr.
panthercrawl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Just Desserts by Barbara Bretton. It was a nice comfort read...kind of like Robin Carr or Janice Kay Johnson.

I just ordered that book. I loved Just Like Heaven and have read a lot of her older ones too. I cant wait to get it!!!! And I love Robin Carr. Cant wait till her next book.
athena_d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharie Kohler's "Marked by Moonlight".

Because I am a loyal fan of Kresley Cole, when she recommended the book on her website I decided to read it.

To sum it up: The sex is HOT, the sexual tension is HOT, the hero is HOT, and the pace of the book moves pretty fast. For someone like me, whos been going through a dry spell, I was really surprised I read it from beginning to end without skimming. its a FIVE STAR read for me as you can tell Very Happy

Sherry is actually an alias for Sophie Jordan, who writes historical, so after Marked by Midnight I went and checked out all her historical backlist. Theyre not as great as her paranormal, but the writing style is the same.

If you havent already, read this book!

Athena

Last edited by athena_d on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nikkiphilton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book sounded interesting, so when I checked it, the title appears to be
Marked by Moonlight. Is that correct? It sounds really good.
athena_d

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for pointing that out nikkiphilton =]

im so sorry! I got it mixed up with "mine til midnight" by kleypas. they both sound the same. the post is edited.

thanks again
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden Treasures Reply with quote

Xina said: I really enjoyed Sandra Schwab's Bewitched

Thanks for the rec of Schwab's Bewitched. I like this theme and liked seeing the cold fish, Sebastion, in love. This reminded me of the enjoyable "Mad Bad Duke" by Jennifer Ashley that also had a cold, serious hero and love potion and was hot. I did not understand the D grade for Bewitched. It was a little over the top at the end but that is not uncommon IMO.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hidden Treasures Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
Xina said: I really enjoyed Sandra Schwab's Bewitched

Thanks for the rec of Schwab's Bewitched. I like this theme and liked seeing the cold fish, Sebastion, in love. This reminded me of the enjoyable "Mad Bad Duke" by Jennifer Ashley that also had a cold, serious hero and love potion and was hot. I did not understand the D grade for Bewitched. It was a little over the top at the end but that is not uncommon IMO.

So glad you liked it Kayne. Bewitched is the first book in a long time that I've been interested in to the last word. And now that you mention it, MBD by Ashley had similar situations. Enjoyed that book too and am, in fact, reading Ashley's latest, and it's very good.
As for Bewitched, I was hoping for a sequel with the friends, but going by the author's response, I don't think it's in the cards. Crying or Very sad Oh well...I'll be reading her next book.
Maysa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though it got some discussion here on the review board and other reader sites, I don't think it's been widely read and IMO it should be: Meredith Duran's The Duke of Shadows.

I totally agree - it's my favorite romance of the year so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: