AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gay/Bi-sexual Men in romance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acorn wrote:
Thanks for the new suggestions. I'm off to look them up. ETA: I've just ordered BECOMING A MAN.

Completely off topic but just wanted to say I love your avatar, that was one of the very best scenes in the series!

I know you're not looking for 'romantica' but I did really enjoy A Bit of Rough by Laura Baumbach and there is a sequel titled Roughhousing. They could be considered romantica I suppose but I thought their story was quite intense and romantic as well. I bought them from Amazon.

Linda
Gwen G

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acorn wrote:
Thanks for the new suggestions. I'm off to look them up. ETA: I've just ordered BECOMING A MAN.

I hope you enjoy the book, Acorn. It was written in the early 90's and that doesn't seem like an enormously long time ago. And yet, its amazing how much progress has been made and how the world has changed. Not that we live in a perfect world by any means but Paul Monette had to live with much more fear and self loathing than he would if he lived today.
Kass

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwen G wrote:
Acorn wrote:

I hope you enjoy the book, Acorn. It was written in the early 90's and that doesn't seem like an enormously long time ago. And yet, its amazing how much progress has been made and how the world has changed. Not that we live in a perfect world by any means but Paul Monette had to live with much more fear and self loathing than he would if he lived today.

The world is still pretty homophobic, and it's still hard on gay kids, because in most places they can't be openly gay without forfeiting their entire social/family life. Kids are still thrown out of families for admitting they're gay, and IIRC gay teens are still the teen group with the highest rate of suicide.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Completely off topic but just wanted to say I love your avatar, that was one of the very best scenes in the series!

Linda

Okay, showing my ignorance, but scene from what series?
Gwen G

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
Gwen G wrote:
Acorn wrote:

The world is still pretty homophobic, and it's still hard on gay kids, because in most places they can't be openly gay without forfeiting their entire social/family life. Kids are still thrown out of families for admitting they're gay, and IIRC gay teens are still the teen group with the highest rate of suicide.

Kass, of course all of what you say is true. Yet it is also true that progress has been made and the world has changed. It sometimes depends on what part of the country you live in and what class and religious background you belong to.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Linda

Okay, showing my ignorance, but scene from what series?

It looks to me like the wonderful scene from the Showtime series Queer As Folk (US version) when Brian took Justin to his school prom. It was something completely out of character for Brian and they did a wonderful job filming them there dancing, very romantic and touching. My favorite scene out of all the seasons.

Linda
Acorn

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions and the avatar compliment but that's not the prom scene. Brian's wearing a tank top and I think they're at Babylon. Very Happy
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks to Linda in sw va and Acorn for answering my question about Acorn's avatar. I don't have cable, so references to shows that originated on HBO or Showtime or whatever just whiz right by me. Every so often I've rented the DVD and watched a show that originated on cable, but there are huge chunks of popular culture I've missed.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acorn wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions and the avatar compliment but that's not the prom scene. Brian's wearing a tank top and I think they're at Babylon. Very Happy

Ah well...I was close. :)

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Thanks to Linda in sw va and Acorn for answering my question about Acorn's avatar. I don't have cable, so references to shows that originated on HBO or Showtime or whatever just whiz right by me. Every so often I've rented the DVD and watched a show that originated on cable, but there are huge chunks of popular culture I've missed.

I hear ya! I only have basic cable and have never seen an episode of The Sopranos or Sex in the City! I rented Queer as Folk on DVD from Netflix or I would have missed the boat on that one too.

Acorn - have you noticed Hal ..what's his name (played Michael) on Celebracadabra, the reality show in VH1? He looks so different with the longer hair.

Linda
Acorn

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Ah well...I was close. :)

Linda

Not really, lol. It's from episode 10 of season 4. Yes, Hal Sparks is on Celebracadabra. The show's not as bad as I thought it would be. I really like him.
angelika

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Abandoned Bride" by Edith Layton. The heroine eloped with the hero's nephew but never married her instead using her to justify leaving the country, claiming a broken heart over her abandoment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: