| |

Romance Author Booksignings: May and Beyond

Have you been to any booksignings lately? I was lucky enough to attend a signing by one of my favorite mystery writers, Rhys Bowen, on tour for her latest Molly Murphy mystery – Bless The Bride – set in early 1900 New York City.

I haven’t read any of the Molly series, but am a big fan of Ms. Bowen’s Lady Georgie series set in post-WWI England. I found Ms. Bowen to be as delightful and entertaining in person as she is in her books.  For about the first 45 minutes she updated us on both of her series and talked about her method of writing. Then, she took questions from the audience until we completely ran out of things to ask.

I was interested to learn that she starts a book with a very vague idea, such as, “wouldn’t it be fun to send Molly to Chinatown” (the plot of her latest book). While she does extensive research up to a year before she actually begins writing a book, she doesn’t prepare an outline. She commented that for the first 50 pages of every book she’s in full panic mode, because she has no idea where the book is going to end up. Once she begins writing she makes herself write at least five pages a day.

Ms.  Bowen revealed a funny fact about her Lady Georgie series. Her editor wanted her to write a standalone mystery. She thought about writing a book featuring terrorists or child killers, but decided she didn’t want to spend months with them. So instead, she asked herself, “what is the silliest heroine I could come up with?” And thus we have Georgie, 34th in line to the British throne, penniless, and on her own in London.

Although signings seem to be slowing down a bit over the summer, I’ve found a number of romance author booksignings in the coming months. As always, I could use your help. Do you know of any authors who are coming to your home town? If so, please let us know about it. If you know of any events that we missed between now and mid-June, please post them in the comments section. If you know of any events occurring after mid-June, please send them to us at aarbooksign  AT gmail.com and we’ll add them to our mid-June post.

Disclaimer: I found these signings by extensive web searches of both author and bookseller Web sites. They all appear to be free, but please contact the bookstore before you attend an event for additional information. And please let us know if you do attend a booksigning, and how you liked it. A few of the authors on the list aren’t strictly romance authors, but have either been reviewed at AAR in the past, or have appeared in AAR forum discussions.

Upcoming Booksignings: May and beyond:

Lynn Sheene, May 22, Bookworks, 3:00 p.m., Albuquerque, NM (other signings on the author’s Web site including Pasadena and Santa Barbara, CA and Houston, TX).

Susan Elizabeth Phillips, May 25, Thalia i.d. Borsighallen, 20:15, Berlin, Germany, Am Borsigturm, 2, 13507 (other events in Germany including Hamburg, Hannover, and Munich on the author’s Web site).

Julia Quinn, Elizabeth Boyle, and Stefanie Sloane, May 31, Third Place Books, 7:00 p.m., 17171 Bothell Way NE, Lake Forest Park, WA (other events on Julia Quinn’s Web site in Beaverton, OR and Silverdale, WA).

Ilona Andrews, May 31, 7:00 p.m., Beaverton Powells, 3415 SW Cedar Hills Blvd., Beaverton, OR.

Nalini Singh, May 31, Barnes & Noble, 7:00 p.m., Creekside Town Center, 1256 Galleria Boulevard, Roseville, CA (other signing on the author’s Web site including New York, Lexington, KY, and Chicago, IL).

Stefanie Pintoff, June 3, Friday, June 3, 12 noon, Flyleaf Books, 752 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Chapel Hill, NC (other signings on the author’s Web site including Apex and Cary, NC and West Chester, PA).

Mary Monroe, June 3, 12 noon, HEB#596 (Katy Plus Store), 6711 South Fry Road, Katy, TX (other signings on the author’s Web site including Pearland and Houston, TX and Atlanta, GA).

Jacquie D’Alessandro, June 4, Barnes & Noble, 2:00 p.m., Augusta Mall, 3450 Wrightsboro Road, Augusta, GA

Mary Kay Andrews, June 7, Barnes & Noble, 7:00 p.m., 2900 Peachtree Road NE Suite 310, Atlanta, GA (other event in Mt. Pleasant, SC at the Barnes & Noble Web site).

Megan Chance, June 7, Third Place Books, 7:00 p.m., Lake Forest Park, WA (other events on the author’s Web site including Bellingham and Seattle, WA).

Lorna Barrett, June 8, Barnes & Noble, 7:00 p.m., Greece Ridge Center, Rochester, NY.

Colleen Gleason, June 10, Barnes & Noble, 7:00 p.m., Woodland Mall, 3195 28th St. SE Suite B116, Grand Rapids, MI.

Ellyn Bache, June 11, Fiction Addiction, 2:00 p.m. Fiction Addiction, 1020A Woodruff Rd., Greenville, SC (other events on the author’s Web site including Southern Pines and Charlotte, NC).

Rachel Gibson and Julia Quinn, June 12, Borders, 3:00 p.m., 965 West Bethany Drive, Allen, TX.

Joshilyn Jackson, June 14, Bookmiser, 7:00 p.m., 3822 Roswell Rd., Marietta, Georgia.

Dorothea Benton Frank, June 18, Barnes & Noble, 2:00 p.m., Mt. Pleasant Towne Centre, 1716 Towne Centre Way, Mt. Pleasant, SC.

Sophie Jordan, June 21, Barnes & Noble, Woodlands Mall, 1201 Lake Woodlands Dr. #3008, The Woodlands, TX.

Janet Evanovich, June 21 at 6 p.m., Barnes & Noble, 3535 US Route 1, Princeton, NJ (other events on the author’s Web site including Edina, MN and Frisco, TX).

Nancy Thayer, June 23, Odyssey Bookshop, 7:00 p.m., South Hadley, MA.

Francis Ray, June 25, Jokae’s Books, 2:00 p.m., 3223 West Camp Wisdom, Dallas, TX.

Romance Writers of America Signing for Literacy, June 28, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m., Multiple Author Signing, Marriott Marquis, Times Square, New York, NY.

Deborah Raney, July 9, Faith & Life Bookstore, TBA, Newton, KS.

Jennifer Weiner, July 12, Barnes & Noble, 7:00 p.m., Union Square, 33 East 17th Street, New York, NY.

– LinnieGayl AAR

Subscribe
Notify of

3 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments