AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lover Enshrined
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeggyL

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Lover Enshrined Reply with quote

Does anyone have anything to say about this?
I bought it last week, did a bit of flip-through and decided I’d rather re-read the newest Kresley Cole instead. Because: (1) there are far too many characters (presumably heroes/heroines in future books) than I can handle, (2) I have been skipping those scenes in the previous books, so I know I’m already not in the loop for a lot of things, and (3) I reminded myself repeatedly (roughly since book #4) that Phury’s story could be a “good” place to stop reading the series for me, which is a rather depressing notion.

(Yet, the IAD series still works for me—but this is another topic.)
Anne Hume

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lover Enshrined Reply with quote

PeggyL wrote:
Does anyone have anything to say about this?
I bought it last week, did a bit of flip-through and decided I’d rather re-read the newest Kresley Cole instead. Because: (1) there are far too many characters (presumably heroes/heroines in future books) than I can handle, (2) I have been skipping those scenes in the previous books, so I know I’m already not in the loop for a lot of things, and (3) I reminded myself repeatedly (roughly since book #4) that Phury’s story could be a “good” place to stop reading the series for me, which is a rather depressing notion.

(Yet, the IAD series still works for me—but this is another topic.)

Peggy, I did hear that Ward is moving away from paranormal romance into urban fantasy, hence the many subplots, characters and complications. That's why some have been saying that Phury’s book is not really Phury’s book at all.Laughing

I didn’t plan on getting this book that early nor on its release date but rather give it a month or two. But since it’s available (yes, thanks to your post, I called the bookstore and they said they have a couple) I might as well get it. As to actually reading it ASAP, I find that I don’t have that much enthusiasm right now so it will have to go into my TBR pile in the meantime.
desiderata

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm done with the series. I was so disappointed in Vishous' book, which I thought spent too much time developing future storylines at the expense of that story, plus the ridiculous ending, that I'm not going to even try to read Phury's story. It's a self-protection move -- I have a huge soft spot for Phury as a character and believe he deserves the happiest of all endings, and I don't think I can stand to see what Ward does to his story. My feeling is that the last book and this book are just stepping stones toward Ward's next phase and future hardbacks.
Anne Hume

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desiderata wrote:
I'm done with the series. I was so disappointed in Vishous' book, which I thought spent too much time developing future storylines at the expense of that story, plus the ridiculous ending, that I'm not going to even try to read Phury's story. It's a self-protection move -- I have a huge soft spot for Phury as a character and believe he deserves the happiest of all endings, and I don't think I can stand to see what Ward does to his story. My feeling is that the last book and this book are just stepping stones toward Ward's next phase and future hardbacks.

From what I’ve read on a review of the book done by Katiebabs ( a very good review I should say), Phury didn’t exactly get the “happiest of all endings” and that his romance with Cormia is the weakest of the storyline. Maybe Ward got lost along the way when it came to Phury’s love story that she just doesn’t have a clue on how to salvage this one. Someone mentioned that Ward seems to treat Phury's character as a punching bag and I can’t help but think how appropriate that is. Too bad because Phury deserves something better.
Brenna

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t say much because I only read the prologue and first chapter, then had to put it down because I got sleepy. But seriously, reading about Phury’s addiction to the red smoke and obsessing about Bella plus Cormia with peas and toothpicks can make you nod off. The revelation at the prologue was kind of interesting and lets you know that the world of the lessers and the vampires are are going to be even more complicated and convoluted. But I have to confess that when I think about all these characters that I have to keep up with, plus the new ones who will be introduced, the rules of their world which seems to go one way or the other, the caprice and whims of the Scribe Virgin and the Omega, the constant battle between the vampires and the lessers, and the other surprises and complications that Ward keeps on adding, it’s giving me a bit of mental fatigue. Which is making me very reluctant to pick up the book and continue reading it just yet.

~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
desiderata

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne and Brenna, you've further convinced me to leave well enough alone. I should have stopped at the third book, actually. The characters are getting lost in the details. I understand why authors want to be creative and push limits and not stay within a formula, even a successful one. Heck, that's what we readers say we want; however it's pretty dicey to make the switch within an already loved series, if you know what I mean.
Anne Hume

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desiderata wrote:
Anne and Brenna, you've further convinced me to leave well enough alone. I should have stopped at the third book, actually. The characters are getting lost in the details. I understand why authors want to be creative and push limits and not stay within a formula, even a successful one. Heck, that's what we readers say we want; however it's pretty dicey to make the switch within an already loved series, if you know what I mean.

Desiderata, you could still give this book a chance. Ward is a very good storyteller and who knows, you might end up liking it. Go and judge for yourself. My comments were based mainly on the review I’ve read plus other comments, particularly at The Phade forum. They can tolerate criticisms there so you can get a more honest feel about the book unlike say Ward’s Messageboard w/c can get a bit crazy and overboard when it comes to gushing and intolerance to criticism. While I do have the book, I haven’t read it fully yet. I did skim and it seems that there’s going to be alot about John Mathews, Blay, Qhuinn, Rehvenge, Xhex, Lash (a surprise there), the Omega (the prologue is about him), the lessers (a Mr. D in particular) and that some new characters are also introduced like Lassiter and we get a glimpse of Payne and hear her first words. Plus a bunch of the other regulars and, I don’t know if this is a SPOILER, but Thorment makes a reappearance. And the spine of the book does say a Signet Novel on top and not the Paranormal Romance it used to be. The back cover blurb is all about Phury and you really get the impression that this is his book. But I think it’s quite true that the romance is not Ward’s main focus now and that she’s really moving into the urban fantasy genre
katiebabs

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Hume wrote:
desiderata wrote:

From what I’ve read on a review of the book done by Katiebabs ( a very good review I should say), Phury didn’t exactly get the “happiest of all endings” and that his romance with Cormia is the weakest of the storyline. Maybe Ward got lost along the way when it came to Phury’s love story that she just doesn’t have a clue on how to salvage this one. Someone mentioned that Ward seems to treat Phury's character as a punching bag and I can’t help but think how appropriate that is. Too bad because Phury deserves something better.

Thanks Anne Embarassed

Sorry everyone but Phury annoyed the hell out of me and his romance with Cormia is the weakest one out of the whole series. But I am very excited for Revh's book that comes out in June of 2009. And just wait till you see him in action in this book. Wink

Last edited by katiebabs on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trish B

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. I was hoping that Ward would get back on track after the duel disappointments (IMHO) of Lover Revealed and Lover Unbound. I didn't hate either book, but neither did I love them. If she is truly abandoning the romance genre (in favor of urban fantasy), then I suppose I'll be abandoning the series. And that's a shame because I enjoy so many aspects of her writing and style. I will give Lover Enshrined a chance, but I'm not sure about after that as I understand from now on her books are going to be hardcover first and I just won't pay those prices for books I don't/can't love.
Brenna

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
Bummer. I was hoping that Ward would get back on track after the duel disappointments (IMHO) of Lover Revealed and Lover Unbound. I didn't hate either book, but neither did I love them. If she is truly abandoning the romance genre (in favor of urban fantasy), then I suppose I'll be abandoning the series. And that's a shame because I enjoy so many aspects of her writing and style. I will give Lover Enshrined a chance, but I'm not sure about after that as I understand from now on her books are going to be hardcover first and I just won't pay those prices for books I don't/can't love.

First, let me say that I was lucky to buy LeN early and I'm not saying where, as I heard that J R Ward requested that people don't buy her books ahead of the release date and to PM her which bookstore sold it in advance so she probably can take action. But that's another story.

Back to the book - I've finally finished reading LEn and I have to say that it is definitely not a romance, unlike Lover Eternal for instance. It is Phury's book (well, not 100%), but it is more about getting to know the real Phury, why he is the way he is (I didn't really buy that fact about his parents attitude afterwards about Z's kidnapping and I think it's way too contrived, but that's just me) and his path to try to recover from addiction. Which is ongoing. And his story is bleak, bleak, bleak.... I don't know if that is calculated to tug readers heartstrings as it did with Z. But it didn't quite succeed with me. His relationship with Cormia is just one aspect of his story. He does not really spend that much time with her. As for their romance, it is sadly lacking in heat and passion. Cormia's personality takes a 90 degree turn overnight and that made me raise my eyebrows a bit. I have already read a complaint about their first mating and I think some will probably not like it and raise issues about that.

This book is turning out more like an epic or saga. I actually like the other subplots and characters, new or old, much better than Phury's story. I can even tolerate John Mathew and he "seems" to be somewhat coming into his own at the end of the book, same with Blay and Qhuinn. The new ones are interesting but I have to wonder what will happen when they get their own story. See, I liked V and Phury very much in the previous books but their books turned out so so to me. Rhevenge is getting to be interesting but I think that when his story is going to come out, it will be bleak again. There are so many things that Ward needs to address about him as he is a drug dealer, he is a half symphant, another addict, etc.. And, IMO, because Ward has changed direction, this has made her tasks a lot easier because she does not necessarily have to give her dark and tormented heroes a quick and easy resolution in the old fashioned romance HEA way.

As a whole, it is still an entertaining book. I was glad to see that when the other brothers made their appearances, they were there for a purpose and minus their shellans and the constant drooling that they always do when they are together. Makes them look likes pansies instead. And that was getting too be too corny. Thankfully, there was no time for that. But the blatant brand name dropping was ever present. And what's up with the initials and shortened words? Even Z was saying "addies". Its nice to be cool once in a while but to overdo them can be very irritating and trying too hard. I can't quite understand some of them. As usual, the lessers makes lots of appearances which I mostly skipped or skimmed. And the way the new lesser talks, is that the southern way? I totally skipped everything that the Wizard says after the first few pages and it was easy to do so because they were in italics.

I would say that it was a B- read for me. If you want the book to be in the way Lover Eternal was done, then you're in for a disappointment. If you're interested in their world as a whole, then you will be delighted. It is getting bigger and more complicated and a lot of changes occur. I just hope that she can give us some heroes in the future who are not necessarily dark and bleak. And I do miss heroes like Rhage, who, despite having to bear the beast forever, somehow managed to rise above it all and still have that normally wonderful and sunny personality. And he gave me my first laugh in LEn on this simple act of opening his tootsie pop and grinding it.

To Katiebabs - Rhevenge was interesting but I think Lassiter, despite a brief appearance, is someone to look out for. Too bad the series will now be in hardbacks.

~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
katiebabs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Katiebabs - Rhevenge was interesting but I think Lassiter, despite a brief appearance, is someone to look out for. Too bad the series will now be in hardbacks.[/quote]

**SPOILERS**

Brenna, I loved the introduction of Lassiter. I had some good laughs because of him. I loved the part where Rehv calls him GE and tells him to tone it down! And when he brings that something special back to the brothers and says he is their new roommate and his response to V's was priceless. I can't wait to see how important he will be to the brotherhood and series in general.

And I am so anxious for Rehv's book!! As for HC- *grumble grumble*
Terese

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Lover Enshrined last night and I have to say I enjoyed it. Mostly I enjoyed learning more about Rehv. I liked getting to know the three youngsters (Blay, Quinn and John Matthew) more. Like others here, I did not enjoy all the slang. I'm from stoic, bucolic, out-of-the-loop North Dakota, and I didn't have a clue what some of the slang and abbeviations meant. And as others have said, the book did not focus that much on the relationship between Phury and Cormia but I didn't find it a weakness. I wonder if being forewarned about that focus helped me in the not-disappointment.

Possible spoilers

But now for the thing that did bug me: Phury did not click for me as a hero. In the other books he didn't strike me as being so screwed up. I saw him as somewhat withdrawn, but still a vital part of the BDB. Yes, he smoked a little red, but he was always right there in a fight, he was always on top of things. He was strong. In this book he came off as a self pitying wimp who ws so lost in his addiction that he couldn't man up to his responsibilitesd. Made me unhappy to see how he was manipulated to suit the story. I didn't see him as being so lost in his own crazy head that he would not notice how Cormia was hurting. Maybe I missed all the signs in the previous books.

And I grew to hate the wizard talking in Phury's head. I wanted to scream: Enough already!

I was actually disappointed with the last two books. I didn't hate Butch's book, but it was sort of blah. Maybe anything after Lover Awakened would have been blah. I was massively unimpresssed with V's story. It could have been so much better. I had decided that if this one disappointed me I was going to probably give up the series. But I think I'll hang around for Rehv's story. (although I may have to get it from the library. The cost of hardcover books...!) I really liked the first three in this series. Lover Awakened and Lover Eternal are my faves. I'm fine with the focus veering away from the main couple as long as I get a HEA for the main couple.
And I can not imagine what kind of woman Rehv will end up with. Can't wait to find out.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenna wrote:
I can’t say much because I only read the prologue and first chapter, then had to put it down because I got sleepy. But seriously, reading about Phury’s addiction to the red smoke and obsessing about Bella plus Cormia with peas and toothpicks can make you nod off. The revelation at the prologue was kind of interesting and lets you know that the world of the lessers and the vampires are are going to be even more complicated and convoluted.

How funny that you should write this! I bought the book yesterday, read the prologue...the bit with Phury and the wizard and the red smokes and the ivy-covered portraits of Bella...and then the bit with Cormia and the peas and toothpicks...and I put the book down and went on to greener pastures. I'll pick it back up tonight, but last night I either wasn't in the mood, or it just didn't grab my attention.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Hume wrote:
And the spine of the book does say a Signet Novel on top and not the Paranormal Romance it used to be.

Why, oh why, do authors pull this kind of stuff? Why do they get you hooked on a storyline/format/emphasis and then pull a switcheroo mid-series? Is what LKH has contagious?? Is it spreading?

I like some urban fantasy, but I'm first and foremost a romance reader. If an author hooks me with a series that has a decided romance-novel persona, I don't think it's unreasonable of me to want and expect the remaining novels in that series to maintain that romance novel persona.

Oh well. At least Ward was nice enough to provide this transition before the switch the hardcover (with Rehv's story, next on the list). I probably wouldn't have bought Rehv's story no matter what, because I don't buy hardbacks, but I would have angsted greatly about it. Now there will be no angst. That's a positive, I suppose.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenna wrote:
First, let me say that I was lucky to buy LeN early and I'm not saying where, as I heard that J R Ward requested that people don't buy her books ahead of the release date and to PM her which bookstore sold it in advance so she probably can take action. But that's another story.

Okay, this is another nail in the BDB coffin for me. How arrogant!!! Please don't buy my book early and be sure to rat out any bookstores that are selling it early so I can take appropriate action?

*rolls eyes and shakes head*

Edited to add: Sorry for the three separate posts! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: