|

Speaking of Audiobooks: November 2010 Releases

Just the Sexiest ManThe monthly process of discovering upcoming romance audiobook releases remains a puzzling process, make no mistake, but one I’m determined to solve piece by piece.  As we’ve discussed before, there is no “list” for one to reference and pass on to you, our listeners, but gradually we’re piecing together the puzzle and today’s upcoming releases list represents our most comprehensive to date.  Oh, it is surely still incomplete in many ways but little by little, we’re whittling away the secrets surrounding the lack of upcoming release information, particularly with digital releases.  Penguin Audio is now notifying us of their upcoming digital releases and they are responsible for the inclusion of such titles as Joanna Bourne’s The Spymaster’s Lady and Julie James’ Just the Sexiest Man Alive, as well as offerings from Lora Leigh.  In addition, I’ve gained access to a library site that provides yet more upcoming titles with only the minor inconvenience of occasionally finding no narrator reference.

Although I knew to expect Just the Sexiest Man Alive at some point (I follow Julie James on Twitter), I had no idea when.  And then I discovered Rachel Gibson’s Nothing but Trouble was being released the same month and well – I was ecstatic!  I adored both of these contemporaries in print and plan on savoring them even more now that they are to be released in my favorite format.  These are but two on the November new release list that hold great interest for me.  It’s going to be a good month!

Leftovers from October

Here are just a few of those surprise audiobooks that failed to make last month’s New Releases column.

Adrian, Lara – Taken by Midnight Narrated by Hillary Huber

Carlyle, Liz – One Touch of Scandal Narrated by Nicola Barber

Frost, Jeaniene – One Foot in the Grave Narrated by Tavia Gilbert

Hoag, Tami – Keeping Company Narrated by Susan Boyce

Hoyt, Elizabeth – To Seduce a Sinner Narrated by Anne Flosnik

Kenyon, Sherrilyn – Unleash the Night Narrated by Fred Berman

McCarty, Sarah – Tracker’s Sin Narrated by Gabra Zackman

Milan, Courtney – Trial by Desire Narrated by Elizabeth Jasicki

Raybourn – Deanna – Dark Road to Darjeeling Narrated by Ellen Archer

Schwartz, Jenny – The Price of Freedom Narrated by Rachel Butera

Shayne, Maggie – Twilight Hunger Narrated by Nicola Barber

Ward, J.R. – Crave Narrated by Eric G. Dove

Audiobook Romances on Sale in November

Abridged

Coulter, Catherine – Point Blank Narrated by Dick Hill

Garwood, Julie – The Bride Narrated by Rosalyn Landor

Michael, Judith – Acts of Love Narrated by Buck Schirner

Michaels, Fern – Whitefire Narrated by Sandra Burr

Robb, J.D. – Indulgence in Death Narrated by Susan Ericksen

Robb, J.D. – J.D. Robb Collection 10: Promise in Death, Kindred in Death Narrated by Susan Ericksen

Roberts, Nora – Sea Swept Narrated by David Stuart

Unabridged

Adrian, Lara – Veil of Midnight Narrated by Hilary Huber

Beverley, Jo – A Lady’s Secret Narrator unknown

Bishop, Anne – Dreams Made Flesh*  Narrated by John Sharian

s LadyBourne, Joanna – The Spymaster’s Lady*  Narrated by Kristen Potter

Brendan, Mary – Rake’s Defiant Mistress Narrated by Jane Collingwood

Brown, Sandra – Love’s Encore Narrated by Natalie Ross

Caine, Rachel – Undone*  Narrated by Cynthia Holloway

Dodd, Christina – Danger in a Red Dress Narrated by Angela Dawe

Gibson, Rachel – Nothing but Trouble Narrator unknown

Gist, Deeanne – Maid to Match Narrated by Suzy Jackson

Howard, Linda – Mackenzie’s Mission Narrated by Dennis Boutsikaris

Jackson, Brenda – Seduction, Westmoreland Style Narrated by Jack Garrett

Jackson, Lisa – Gypsy Wind Narrated by Teri Clark Linden

James, Julie – Just the Sexiest Man Alive*  Narrated by Karen White

Kleypas, Lisa – Devil in Winter Narrated by Rosalyn Landor

Kleypas, Lisa – Scandal in Spring Narrated by Rosalyn Landor

Kleypas, Lisa – A Wallflower Christmas Narrated by Rosalyn Landor

Krentz, Jayne Ann – Truth or Dare Narrated by Joyce Bean

Leigh, Lora – Harmony’s Way*  Narrated by Alexandria Wilde

Leigh, Lora – Megan’s Mark*  Narrated by Brianna Bronte

MacAlister, Katie – In the Company of Vampires Narrated by Nicole Poole

Macomber, Debbie – Denim and Diamonds: A Selection from Wyoming Brides Narrated by Tanya Eby

Macomber, Debbie – The Sooner the Better Narrated by Renee Raudman

Macomber, Debbie – The Wyoming Kid: A Selection from Wyoming Brides Narrated by Tanya Eby

Mallery, Susan – Falling for Gracie Narrated by Savannah Richards

Mallery, Susan – Sunset Bay Narrated by Renee Raudman

Medeiros, Teresa – Some Like it Wild Narrator unknown

Michael, Judith – Acts of Love Narrated by Buck Schirner

Peterson, Tracie – Twilight’s Serenade Narrated by Linda Stephens

Robb, J.D. – Possession in Death Narrated by Susan Ericksen

Roberts, Nora – Happy Ever After Narrated by Angela Dawe

Roberts, Nora – O’Hurley’s Return: Skin Deep, Without a Trace Narrated by Marie Caliendo

Roberts, Nora – Reflections Narrated by Angela Dawe

Roberts, Nora – Skin Deep Narrated by Marie Caliendo

Roberts, Nora – Without a Trace Narrated by Marie Caliendo

Thomas, Jodi – Welcome to Harmony Narrator unknown

Warren, Tracy Anne – The Wife Trap Narrator unknown

Woods, Sherryl – Harbor Lights Narrated by Christina Traister

*Audio link unavailable at this time.  A digital-only audiobook available from all major digital audio retailers November 1st.

Recent Listens

The Wedding – Julie Garwood

Narrated by Steven Crossley

At one time, I loved Garwood’s medievals and found myself glomming her books…that is, until I suddenly tired of her too efficient, sweet heroines.  Fortunately after a six year break I find myself enjoying Garwood’s writing once again – this time in audio – and a large part of this book’s particular success is narrator Steven Crossley (Judith Ivory’s The Proposition).  He’s good especially considering the fact that he’s reading a romance – not always an easy feat for a male narrator.  His slightly raised voice when performing Brenna doesn’t sound entirely natural but it’s not an uncomfortable falsetto as is many a male narrator’s tendency.  The delivery is effective with most characters clearly distinguished one from another and the well-paced narration successfully turns witty dialogue into laughs for the listener.  Additionally, Connor’s alpha attitudes are effectively portrayed even as Brenna coaxes him toward more thoughtful interaction.  I’ll definitely listen to this one again.

Provocative in PearlsProvocative in Pearls – Madeline Hunter

Narrated by Polly Lee

I listened to Provocative in Pearls while reading Sherry Thomas’ His at Night and thereby broke one of my rules of audio listening – don’t read and listen to books from the same genre at the same time.  Since I wasn’t enthralled with either book, I found it easy to confuse characters and storylines and therefore, I can’t honestly tell you if I thought this narrative to be above average.  But I can tell you that I found my first experience with narrator Polly Lee to be quite pleasant.  Her characterizations are distinct and thereby easy to follow – especially the female characters.  However, the voicing of emotion is clearly lacking.  Often the scripted word informed me of an emotion at play yet I failed to hear it.  Frequently the change of scenes was unexpected since it sounded like the same conversation continuing with little pause.  That, of course, is a production issue that should have no reflection on the narrator.  I look forward to hearing Ms. Lee’s performance again and will probably do so soon since I plan to purchase Hunter’s Sinful in Satin, the next installment of the Rarest Blooms series.

Every Breath You Take – Judith McNaught

Narrated by Laura Dean

A fabulously wealthy hero (self-made of course) and a humble yet gorgeous woman meet for the first time on a tropical island and share a romance unaware that they are connected in numerous ways back in Chicago.  It’s typical McNaught (and I am a definite fan) which means there is a Big Misunderstanding – this one huge.  In print, this misunderstanding lasts for a good portion of the book since there is a long separation of the characters.  However in the abridged audio format, the producers had the opportunity to right this wrong and they did.  Most of the misunderstanding is removed as well as the separation.  I actually prefer this six hour abridgement to the print version as it tightens the story and concentrates more on the romance.  The ending may be a little rushed but I consider this abridged audiobook a success.  Laura Dean’s narration is above average and easy on the ears with voices that are clearly distinguishable.  This is another definite re-listen for the future.  I’ve considered finding this one in unabridged format as well (it’s harder to find) but no longer feel the desire to do so.

Recent Additions to my Audio Library

Mackenzie’s Mountain – Linda Howard

Narrated by Christina Traister

Two months ago, the unabridged version was released in CD format but I have yet to find a digital copy at outlets such as Audible.  I finally gave in and purchased in CD format.  What is going on?

The Convenient Marriage – Georgette Heyer

Narrated by Richard Armitage

Not finding this available at my usually reliable Audible, I purchased this directly from Naxos Audiobooks.  I so enjoyed Armitage’s narration of Heyer’s Sylvester that I just had to have this one as well.

Head Over Heels – Susan Andersen

Narrated by Anna Fields

This one is hard to find but comes highly recommended from other SOA listeners and is, of course, a must listen with narrator Anna Fields.

Grand Passion – Jayne Ann Krentz

Narrated by Richard Ferrone

I haven’t listened to or even read many of Krentz’s books.  Grand Passion sounds like my kind of contemporary although Ferrone has not impressed me in the past.  I’m going with the recommendations of others with this one.

Speaking of Audiobooks at Goodreads

Our Speaking of Audiobooks group at Goodreads has taken off and is now 18 members strong.  Come join us and share your audiobook shelf with us.

Time for Your Thoughts

What new releases are you looking forward to?

Do you know of any November releases that failed to make this list?

What are the latest additions to your audio library?

And, as always, what are your latest audio successes or failures?

Ending Notes

I’m announcing new romance audiobook releases and other audio tidbits on Twitter during the week.  I don’t cover every new release but attempt to include the more significant titles.  To follow me on Twitter, look for LeaAAR.

For those new to our Speaking of Audiobooks column, be sure to check out our audio archives for further recommendations and discussions.

See you again mid-November.

– Lea Hensley

Subscribe
Notify of

20 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments