AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone read "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Has anyone read "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer? Reply with quote

A lot of evil evil stores are luring readers to it with good discounts. Laughing So I was wondering how it was.
LizJ

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few pages, but I had bought "From Dead to Worse" at the same time, and my 18 1/2 yo daughter wanted to read that one first, so I had to do a speed read on it and hold off on "The Host."
crisinti

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read it, and it's certainly a book that will stay with you after you've finished. It's my first semi- science fictiony book- I usually steer clear of the genre, it's never really interested me until now.

I loved the concept of the love triangle involving only two bodies, but I guess I was expecting more focus into the romantic love aspect. What you do get is what Meyer explained in an interview: an exploration of many different kinds of love.

So much that I don't think the questions involving the main relationship is answered properly- although there's a satisfying conclusion. I guess my problem with the book was that I felt frustrated that there was not more emphasis on the main love story- we're told that the couple were in love, but barely shown it- there's only one excellent flashback that sets that relationship up.

I would view this book more as a development of the main character Wanderer (the invading soul), and 'her' foray into humanity. One novel feature of the book is the concept of the 'kind' alien souls that invade. They do so not only out of necessity for their survival, but also because we're doing such a bad job with our lot in the universe.

In short- great plot, interesting characters, but don't expect the romantic love story to be as central as the 'Twilight' series...
Keishon

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: The Host by Stephenie Meyer Reply with quote

I read and enjoyed The Host by Meyer. I thought it was a solidly written book and came close to my favorite, Twilight, in terms of readability, suspense and characterization. The sci-fi aspects of the novel is very low key and please do not judge this book against her Twilight series as I feel Ms. Meyers seems to be a great storyteller, with a very engaging voice. I hope she continues to write more stand alone novels.

FYI, I am hosting a contest and am giving away three copies of this book. It really is a great book. If this is inappropriate to mention here (the contest) and gets deleted, I understand. Thanks!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to snag it from the library but my daughter is reading it now. She says so far it's good, unlike anything she's read before. She's a little further than halfway.

I am kind of hesitant to read it myself, I am not at all into the alien thing, hosts, invading bodies and all that. But I'm tempted solely because it's Stephenie Meyer and I love her Twilight series so much.

Linda
KristinaCook

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just finished reading THE HOST (on my new Kindle, which I am already addicted to!). At first I resisted buying it, because on the surface it doesn't sound like the kind of book I like (aliens, body snatchers, etc.), but I must say, I really, *really* enjoyed it. In the same way that TWILIGHT isn't really a book about vampires, THE HOST wasn't really about aliens and body snatchers, either--just like someone else said, it's more of a character study, and the character of Wanderer was fascinating. It's definitely one of those books that I'm still thinking about, days after I finished reading it.

I will say, though, that it took me a bit to get into it. Sort of slow moving at first, and the lead character is hard to get to know at the beginning. But I think that's because she's sort of 'developing' as a character as the story progresses. So if it seems boring at first, stick with it!! Eventually I found it impossible to put down.
fritzi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too just finished "The Host". I give it a solid B and maybe a B+, but I found it a bit slow going and overly long. Still, a very good book.
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will say, though, that it took me a bit to get into it.

I'm just reading it now and it is slow going...mostly a lot of info dumping in the first few pages. Having gotten beyond that now it is picking up, and I am enjoying. Hopefully there will be some twists and turns but I am finding the theme or message quite transparent and simplistic. Pure entertainment value appears high tho.
katiebabs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Blown Away! Reply with quote

I just finished The Host last night and Stephenie Meyer continues to amaze me with her writing. The Host is going down as one of my favorite books of alll time. I would recommend this book to anybody, but I believe it is not a YA novel. A lot of the subject matter deals with murder and other topics.
There was romance, sci-fi, questions about humanity and about life in general. I would give this a A grade and a must read for 2008.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: