AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's Beau Brummell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyR

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Where's Beau Brummell Reply with quote

I recently picked up the regency Lady Thief by Kay Hooper (published in 1981) for a re-read. Beau Brummell is a character. It occurred to me that I don't remember reading about him in any recent regencies. He was such an integral part of the haut ton, shouldn't he appear every now and then? I vaguely recall another older regency where his exile from society is touched upon (perhaps by Lisa Kleypas?) and I believe I remember him as a character used by Georgette Heyer.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Where's Beau Brummell Reply with quote

AndyR wrote:
I recently picked up the regency Lady Thief by Kay Hooper (published in 1981) for a re-read. Beau Brummell is a character. It occurred to me that I don't remember reading about him in any recent regencies. He was such an integral part of the haut ton, shouldn't he appear every now and then? I vaguely recall another older regency where his exile from society is touched upon (perhaps by Lisa Kleypas?) and I believe I remember him as a character used by Georgette Heyer.

That's a good question. One of the first Regency-set historicals I read featured Beau Brummell as a major secondary character and even portrayed his fall from grace, etc. (I'm not sure of the title, but I think it was one of those Pocket books in the Gallen line.) He was also a character (although not as important, and not fallen from grace yet) in Jacqueline Diamond's Regency about the heroine who needed glasses -- I think it was called "A Lady's Point of View." But I can't think of that many newer books where he showed up.

I guess it would be easy to blame it on the "dumbing down" of books, but there were a lot of "not dumb at all" books where he didn't show up. It might depend on when the books take place as Beau Brummell left the country in 1816 (according to Wiki, anyay). Or maybe he has fallen out of favor with romance readers as well. Crying or Very sad
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know - he seems to pop up on occasion in my romance reading, though I can't give examples as it's not something I look for and remember in particular.

Anne Marble wrote:
It might depend on when the books take place as Beau Brummell left the country in 1816 (according to Wiki, anyay).

I think in recent years, many books we classify as regency historicals take place in the 1820s (the broader definition of the regency, I guess). I would not expect Brummell references in a book set during that period.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, many Regency Historicals have drifted away from the ultra-witty, dandied, and smallish ton of earlier regencies, period. I don't think I've even seen Prinny or the patronesses of Almack's mentioned in the last few regencies I've read. Shocked
Schola

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I think I spotted him in Christina Dodd's One Kiss from You. He was mightily distressed by the way the heroine spoiled a pretty outfit while rescuing a dog in the park! Laughing
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Beau Brummel Reply with quote

Beau Brummel is a secondary character in Carla Kelly's Mrs. McVinnie's London Season. As with every Kelly book, it's well worth searching for and should be easy to find on the Internet or in a UBS.
JaneO

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary Stevens has a series of mysteries in which Beau Brummel is the detective.
angelika

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beau Brummel is also a secondary character in Julie Garwood's "Rebellious Desire", unfortunately my least favorite of her historicals.
Elaine S

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story of the real man is as good as fiction. I highly recommend Ian Kelly's "Beau Brummell" which on amazon.co.uk is available in paperback for a few pence. It was a cracking read and you learn all about male dress, manners, mores, clubs, grooming and the minutiae of Regency life. Brummell's influence is still felt today as you learn about his fastidious sense of design for male clothing - e.g. buttons on cuffs, the cut of a suit collar, etc.

He ended up in debt and in exile but I don't think that the spirit completely left him and he was amusing and interesting right up until his death. If you like Regency romance/fiction, this really is one of the best sources I can think of. Kelly writes easily and I raced through the book. Great anecdotes and pictures also.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a movie about Beau Brummel, called just that, on late night TV. Here is the IMBD page for it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046759/

I can't remember when I saw it, but I was four years old in 1954, so it wasn't anytime soon after it was made. Peter Ustinov plays Prinny, Stewart Granger is Beau (both were "George"), and Elizabeth Taylor is Beau's love interest. The ending was extremely sad.

Kay
Trish B

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an interesting tv movie from a year or two back about Beau Brummell and his relationship with George, Prince of Wales and I think it was titled This Charming Man (?). I think I saw it on BBC America. It starred James Purefoy as BB and according to this dramatization, Prince George was so taken with BB's fashion sense, he would actually come to BB's lodgings in the morning and watch his whole morning routine. How he dressed from skin to cravat. Ultimately all the ton's dandies did the same, again, according to this film. It also showed how BB's relationship with Prinny deteriorated when Lord Byron (whom Prinny disliked) appeared on the scene.
Suzanna

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's Beau Brummell Reply with quote

AndyR wrote:
and I believe I remember him as a character used by Georgette Heyer.

Regency Buck. One of my least favourite Heyers, but Brummell does come across very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: