AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catherine Anderson's Keegan's Lady????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheri

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Catherine Anderson's Keegan's Lady???? Reply with quote

I'm almost done with this book and this is the 2nd book by this author I've read(Annie's Song)and I've enjoyed both. What I would like to know is if there is a sequel book to this one. I'm really interested in reading about the hero's brother from this story, Joseph. I really don't like contemporary books and would like to stick to her historicals I checked her website and I didn't find anything. If anyone has other historicals of hers to recommend, please do. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri, I loved Keegan's Lady too, and I don't think there is a sequel. I might be wrong, but I'm almost sure there isn't. Another historical by Andersen you might like is Simply Love. I think the book is one of Andersen's first and it's very good. The hero hires the heroine as a live-in companion..for a reason I can't remember, but she doesn't plan on being his mistress. She pretty much has to control him. He's not the nicest guy in the beginning...sort of like Keegan, but a little worse than that. I think you'd like this book. I see it's been reissued too. I've got an ancient copy that has been well read. (The new cover makes it look like a western, but it isn't.)
Rosie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Joseph's story is called Summer Breeze.
luteran

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: sequel Reply with quote

There is a sequel to Keegan's Lady - Joseph falls for a woman who is agrophobic (sp). Summer Breeze. It was okay but not a keeper for me.
xina

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: sequel Reply with quote

luteran wrote:
There is a sequel to Keegan's Lady - Joseph falls for a woman who is agrophobic (sp). Summer Breeze. It was okay but not a keeper for me.

Oh, yes...I remember. It was released last year, or the year before? I liked it...not as much as Keegan's Lady, but maybe a "B" grade for me. She waited so many years to write the sequel, I had forgotten that they were connected.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, girls! I knew you would come through. I read all the reviews and it just wasn't clicking when I went back I saw they were connected. Yeah! cheri
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really liked "Keegan's Lady" too and have been on a Catherine Anderson rereading jag lately. Her older books are MUCH, MUCH better than those written in say, the past 8 or so years, IMO. I can't put my finger on exactly why her new ones fail, except that they somehow lack tension. I think it may be that the heroes are too perfect.

The one that's the most like "K's Lady" is "Simply Love," but I adored "Cherish" and "Annie's Song." In "Simply Love," the rich owner of a silver mine is determined to make this very innocent girl his mistress, and he isolates and manipulates her, but her innocence saves her. When he falls in love with her, oh, how he suffers (as does she) for what he's done and I can't remember a better remorse. "Annie's Song" is about this young woman that people assume is retarded who is raped (fortunately, in a very abbreviated scene) by the brother of the hero. When the hero, who is the twin, finds out that she is pregnant, he marries her, planning to take the child from her and send her back to her parents. Anderson captures the real social stigma of having a handicapped child then. Of course, Annie is much more than she appears. "Cherish" is about a religious community who are dedicated to peace and refuse to fight. Unfortunately, renegades ambush and slaughter their wagon train, after hearing that they carry money, but one girl is left behind who is found by men who are driving cattle to market. Initially, she thinks that they are the renegades, and as I recall, her trauma prevents her from speaking. It's very heavy on plot (the renegades want to get her for her knowledge of the money0, but the cowboys are so gallant, especially the hero (natch!), that we and she fall in love. Three terrific books! Please let us know what you think of them, ok?
Sissy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Catherine Anderson's Keegan's Lady???? Reply with quote

If anyone has other historicals of hers to recommend, please do. cheri[/quote]

I highly recommend Comanche Moon which has just been reissued. Smile
cheri

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reead Annie's Song, which I liked. Did not check out Comache Moon but will see what that one is about and both Summer Breeze and Simply Love are at my library. Very Happy Thanks, cheri
xina

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that's the most like "K's Lady" is "Simply Love," but I adored "Cherish" and "Annie's Song." In "Simply Love," the rich owner of a silver mine is determined to make this very innocent girl his mistress, and he isolates and manipulates her, but her innocence saves her.

The h/h pairing in Simply Love (this book is a rare reread for me) always reminded me of a wolf and sheep. He is so very, very bad and she is so good. I think he is an unusual hero for Andersen being that he was very, very imperfect. The book opens with him just out of bed with a prostitute and he also has a drawer full of sex toys. Really very unlike Andersen's heroes today. Laughing This hero can join the ranks of The Bad Boys.
cheri

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I LOVE bad boys. How yummy! There was actually a warning in a review on Amazon about this hero. That he was a real Klunker. I'm still willing to read it. I LOVE Ace and Alex from the two books I've read of hers. Great heroes, really. cheri
TracyG

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love older Catherine Anderson books! Keegan's Lady is probably my favorite. I did not see Coming Up Roses in any of the posts. The heroine in the story is recently widowed with a little girl. Her husband was an abusive religious fanatic that had the entire community convinced she was crazy. The hero is her new neighbor. You have to give this one a try, I love it! Actually, I think it's time for a re-read, lol!
cheri

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tracy G, I don't remember seeing this on any reviews but will go back and check it out. Thanks for the rec. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Um, I LOVE bad boys. How yummy! There was actually a warning in a review on Amazon about this hero. That he was a real Klunker. I'm still willing to read it. I LOVE Ace and Alex from the two books I've read of hers. Great heroes, really. cheri

I went back and read that review you mentioned cheri, and yes, those things are pretty much true about the hero. I used to have a low tolerance level for bad hero behavior, but I grew out of that a little bit, so some of those things, she mentioned (reviewer) didn't bother me. That reviewer has a slightly different perspective than I did, and that is understandable. The hero is a cad...yes, but the heroine is a positive and happy person..yes, some might call her TSTL, but I saw her differently. He does deceive her...in a big way, but by the time she finds out, he has fallen hard for her and even though he might not tell her he loves her until the end of the book (I actually don't remember that part) it is more than clear how he feels toward her, at least to the reader, even without saying the words. In the end, he still isn't the perfectly shiny hero, but he has tried his best to make things right with her.
cheri

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
cheri wrote:

In the end, he still isn't the perfectly shiny hero, but he has tried his best to make things right with her.

I don't like perfect heroes ever and I only take reviews for what they're worth so I'm more than willing to read first and wonder how bad a cad is l later. Wink I put it on my list but it will be a bit b4 I go to the library and check it out. My next TBR is a double book and may take a while. cheri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: