AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Your Scandalous Ways

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DonnaBenny



Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Your Scandalous Ways Reply with quote

Whoa - what a review by Sandy! This new Loretta Chase book sounds wonderful. As soon as I read the review I checked my local library to see if they ordered it and they did! Better yet, I am number 1 on the list. I do hope I love it as much as Sandy. I am really in need of a great read! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Natalie



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 1693

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's going to have an ebook version so that I could read it right away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yulie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1150
Location: Elsewhere

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to see a great review, but I'd like to ask Sandy, or anyone else who's read Your Scandalous Ways, for some info to help me decide whether or not to buy. In the review, Sandy compared it favorably to two Chase books - Mr. Impossible and Lord of Scoundrels. Now, I love LOS to bits, but I really disliked Mr. Impossible. In fact, dislike is putting it mildly; I stopped buying her new releases after reading it. But this one sounds inriguing, and I'm considering giving her another shot. My library doesn't have romance novels, so I'll have to buy if I want it.

So: which one would you say it's more similar to? I felt that the plotting of the first two Carsington books was weak in comparison with Chase's older books, and that while the writing style remained great, the books were unfocused. I also disliked Rupert as a hero (I know, I'm apparently the only one here Wink ). Is our hero this time more Rupert, or more, say, like Esmond?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy AAR



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 443

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
I was happy to see a great review, but I'd like to ask Sandy, or anyone else who's read Your Scandalous Ways, for some info to help me decide whether or not to buy. In the review, Sandy compared it favorably to two Chase books - Mr. Impossible and Lord of Scoundrels. Now, I love LOS to bits, but I really disliked Mr. Impossible. In fact, dislike is putting it mildly; I stopped buying her new releases after reading it. But this one sounds inriguing, and I'm considering giving her another shot. My library doesn't have romance novels, so I'll have to buy if I want it.

So: which one would you say it's more similar to? I felt that the plotting of the first two Carsington books was weak in comparison with Chase's older books, and that while the writing style remained great, the books were unfocused. I also disliked Rupert as a hero (I know, I'm apparently the only one here Wink ). Is our hero this time more Rupert, or more, say, like Esmond?


Well, Yulie, I'm not sure how much my reply is going to mean to you, because Rupert is one of my very favorite heroes of all time -- in fact, I have a particular weakness for that type of character. (I also love Bobby Tom of Heaven, Texas for the very same reason.) So, with that h-u-u-u-g-e caveat, I think that the most honest answer is that the hero here is his own character and his own type. Ms. Chase doesn't have a habit of repeating herself and she doesn't do it here either. But, with that said, I wasn't reminded of Rupert when I read the book.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anne Hume



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 152
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
I was happy to see a great review, but I'd like to ask Sandy, or anyone else who's read Your Scandalous Ways, for some info to help me decide whether or not to buy. In the review, Sandy compared it favorably to two Chase books - Mr. Impossible and Lord of Scoundrels. Now, I love LOS to bits, but I really disliked Mr. Impossible. In fact, dislike is putting it mildly; I stopped buying her new releases after reading it. But this one sounds inriguing, and I'm considering giving her another shot. My library doesn't have romance novels, so I'll have to buy if I want it.


Like you Yulie, I loved "Lord of Scoundrels" but absolutely disliked "Mr. Impossible" though this did not stop me from reading Chase's newer releases. I'm a big Loretta Chase fan. I even liked her "Lion's Daughter" w/c is a bit along the lines of "Mr. Impossible". I have her complete book list and her other Carsington books were great. You should try them especially "Lord Perfect". I think you'll like it. I'm eagerly waiting for "Your Scandalous Ways" but I'm a little bit scared because I expect a lot from her. The Dear Author review gave it an A with several of their other reviewers also agreeing. Author Anna Campbell was raving about it on her review of the book. Some who have managed to get an ARC also agree. I haven't read the review here because I don't want my experience to be a repeat of "Mr. Impossible". I'll probably do that when I've finished reading the book. But I'm really keeping my fingers crossed and hope for the best. And since it's also compared to LOS, then that should be something positive.
_________________
I put forth what I thought was a rational proposal. And the proposal I put forward was the proposal. - George W. Bush, 43rd President of the USA. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yulie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1150
Location: Elsewhere

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sandy and Anne. I wish I could explain what it was about Rupert that didn't work for me, but I can't. Like you, Sandy, I don't get a feeling that Chase repeats her heroes (which is to her credit) but they may still share some characteristics - e.g. Rupert reminded me a bit of Bertie Trent, who worked well as a secondary character. Anyway, Your Scandalous Ways does sound promising, and I'll probably include it in my next order. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kspears



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 377

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone liked the same books, characters and plots, there would be only one book that we would read over and over.

Some people love Ms. Chase and some don't. I love her, however I work with someone who wasn't all that empressed with Lord of Scoundrels, my all time favorite. I'm looking forward to this one, although it makes me nervous when I read such a glowing review.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynda X



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 1467

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loretta Chase has posted three short videos on U-Tube about the hero, heroine, and their relationship.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lgJwRkKVers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cyl



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 130
Location: Mississippi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Loretta Chase has posted three short videos on U-Tube about the hero, heroine, and their relationship.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lgJwRkKVers


THANK YOU for this link.

I don't know how to explain the feeling I got listening to Ms Chase discuss her characters and their relationship. After listening to her I want this book RIGHT NOW!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msaggie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 697

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase Reply with quote

Firstly, many thanks to Sandy for her review of Your Scandalous Ways - the title is truly apt. I liked it very much - however, I have some complaints - I feel cheated as I expected 384 pages (as listed in Amazon) - but the book's only 357 pages in total (the rest are advertisements for other Avon publications). So - that's my first miff - I want more!! The print (i.e. the font) is large, as well - compared to Lord of Scoundrels (the original version), and other Chase books I have (e.g. Captives of the Night, Lion's Lady, Lord Perfect).

I really liked both hero and heroine. The hero keeps thinking of her as "the harlot" in the beginning. She makes no apologies about the fact that she's a courtesan - she chose this way of life after her divorce. There are many lovely scenes in the story, but I think everything - plot, background, characterisation, could have been more fleshed out. It's certainly much better than Not Quite A Lady, Miss Wonderful and Mr Impossible. But I still prefer Chase's earlier books (Lord of Scoundrels and the other 3 books loosely connected with it) as I think the plots and characterisations were better. Your Scandalous Ways is good, but I get the feeling that it's a mite simplified for some reason, and it had the potential to be much, much better. I liked it, but I wanted (or expected) more...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jane A



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 768
Location: So Cal

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase Reply with quote

msaggie wrote:
Firstly, many thanks to Sandy for her review of Your Scandalous Ways - the title is truly apt. I liked it very much - however, I have some complaints - I feel cheated as I expected 384 pages (as listed in Amazon) - but the book's only 357 pages in total (the rest are advertisements for other Avon publications). So - that's my first miff - I want more!! The print (i.e. the font) is large, as well - compared to Lord of Scoundrels (the original version), and other Chase books I have (e.g. Captives of the Night, Lion's Lady, Lord Perfect).

I really liked both hero and heroine. The hero keeps thinking of her as "the harlot" in the beginning. She makes no apologies about the fact that she's a courtesan - she chose this way of life after her divorce. There are many lovely scenes in the story, but I think everything - plot, background, characterisation, could have been more fleshed out. It's certainly much better than Not Quite A Lady, Miss Wonderful and Mr Impossible. But I still prefer Chase's earlier books (Lord of Scoundrels and the other 3 books loosely connected with it) as I think the plots and characterisations were better. Your Scandalous Ways is good, but I get the feeling that it's a mite simplified for some reason, and it had the potential to be much, much better. I liked it, but I wanted (or expected) more...


I wonder what the word count is? In general the shorter books we've been getting are the reason readers bemoan the loss of "meaty" historicals. I haven't read the book yet, but what you describe is something I've encountered all too often in the past few years. So frequently I'm left dissatisfied and feeling a bit cheated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandy AAR



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 443

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase Reply with quote

Jane A wrote:


I wonder what the word count is? In general the shorter books we've been getting are the reason readers bemoan the loss of "meaty" historicals. I haven't read the book yet, but what you describe is something I've encountered all too often in the past few years. So frequently I'm left dissatisfied and feeling a bit cheated.


Jane, I know what you're talking about. Lately some Avon books have 200 words per page (as did the Samantha James book I recently reviewed) but others have 250. Rest assured, this is a 250 word per page book and, at roughly 360 pages, that adds up to approximately 90,000 words. In comparison, the Samantha James had about 70,000 if you don't include the promos at the end of the book.

Edited to add: msaggie's post made me curious about the older Chases. My vintage copy of Lord of Scoundrels is a 250 word per page book and Captives of the Night had about 270. LOS was 375 pages and CON 392. Doing the math, the word count seems very close to me, particularly with LOS. It's when you get into the 20,000 or more word count discrepancy that I really notice a difference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msaggie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 697

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase Reply with quote

Sandy AAR wrote:
Lately some Avon books have 200 words per page (as did the Samantha James book I recently reviewed) but others have 250. Rest assured, this is a 250 word per page book and, at roughly 360 pages, that adds up to approximately 90,000 words. In comparison, the Samantha James had about 70,000 if you don't include the promos at the end of the book.

Edited to add: msaggie's post made me curious about the older Chases. My vintage copy of Lord of Scoundrels is a 250 word per page book and Captives of the Night had about 270. LOS was 375 pages and CON 392. Doing the math, the word count seems very close to me, particularly with LOS. It's when you get into the 20,000 or more word count discrepancy that I really notice a difference.
Sandy, I think I would not have begrudged it so much if we were told 357 pages rather than 384 - usually those page numbers are for the actual story itself, but here, the subsequent pages after the story were just previews of several other Avon releases. That's almost 10% less pages than I had been expecting. Your Scandalous Ways would have been stellar if it was more fleshed out - at the moment, it certainly is superior to many other romances, but in comparison to the earlier books by Loretta Chase (Lord of Scoundrels, Lion's Daughter, Captives of the Night, Last Hellion), I think it lacks the depth, insight and subtlety the earlier books had.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group