|

My Favorite Irish Heroes

irishcastle Maybe it’s the brogue. Or the green eyes so many of them seem to have. Perhaps it is the passionate, artistic nature. The Irish, after all, are credited with being great poets and musicians. It could be the magic – the Island is equated with all manner of faeries and myths. Perhaps it is their imports- men who look like Colin Farell, Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan all have the look of a good romance rogue. Whatever it is, there is nothing quite like an Irish hero, is there? With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I felt it was time to pay tribute to lads of the Emerald Isle. Here are my favorites, in no particular order:

– Faelan Savigar, the Earl of Iveragh from Uncertain Magic by Laura Kinsale: The quintessential tortured hero Faelen has dark secrets and mysterious powers. He is wonderfully brooding and a deliciously perfect match for his heroine. This tale of love, fairies, and Ireland should not be missed.

– Trevor Sheridan from Lions and Lace by Meagan McKinney: Living in the states has exposed Trevor to more than his share of Irish “envy” (also known as prejudice.) He becomes mean, brooding, and defensive as a result of what he has physically and emotionally suffered. But he has a protective streak a mile wide and once he loves you, he loves you wholeheartedly. I found myself rooting for him, even though he could be a complete Alpha Ass.

– Rory McGrath from Haunting Warrior by Erin Quinn. Another brooding, troubled Irish man but also a kick butt warrior and all around awesome guy. You can see my review of the book here.

-Jericho Barrons from The Fever Books by Karen Marie Moning: I am not sure what nationality Jericho is technically but he was living in Ireland (and had been for some time from what I can gather) when Mackayla meets him so I will count him. Mysterious, mesmerizing and powerful, Barrons has trouble letting anyone in. But Mackayla breaks through all his barriers to get the first peek at his heart he has allowed anyone in centuries, showing us the core of utter good within. Mac could get on my nerves but Barron’s coolness factor made the books an utterly terrific read.

In recollecting my favorite Irish heroes I found one common factor for many of them: Nora Roberts. Her love for the country of Ireland and her ability to write believable, lovable, desirable men has helped her create some of my top Irish gents. Here’s my list of favorites by her:

Rogan Sweeney from Born in Fire: Rich, sophisticated, organized and intelligent, Rogan is the perfect counterbalance to fiery, artistic Maggie. I loved his elegance, his intelligence and his ability to go toe to toe with his hellion heroine.

Aidan Gallagher from Jewels of the Sun: Handsome rogue runs a bar, sings lovely songs, has lovely ties to his community and knows how to woo a fine heroine. He’s the man I dream of running into every time I step inside an Irish pub.

While I’m talking about the Irish trilogy, what about Shawn Gallagher from Tears of the Moon?: Dreamy Shawn seems to float through life, never really concentrating on what he should be doing. But he writes lovely music, makes a mean Irish Stew and has the heart of a poet. I absolutely adored him.

And we can’t forget Roarke from the In Death series: What can be said about this man that hasn’t already been said? He is an ideal hero – charming, sophisticated, gorgeous and with that just right touch of bad boy. I love how he loves Eve. Throughout this long, long series I’ve not once ceased to be enchanted by him.

So these are my top picks, do any on the list match yours? Are there other fabulous Irish heroes I have somehow overlooked?

– Maggie Boyd

Subscribe
Notify of

21 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments