AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twlight Movie Teasers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Twlight Movie Teasers Reply with quote

I stopped by Stephenie Meyer's website to peek around for any updates and it looks like Twilight the movie is due to come out on 12/12/08! MTV has some great teaser clips here - 4 of them. No one looks like I picture them in my head of course, but I that tends to be the case with books to movies.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1585900&vid=226476

And a good informational article on here -

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/04/20/what-is-twilight-and-is-it-the-next-harry-potter/

Some tidbits that really surprised me, first from above article -

**Twilight is actually the 14th most searched movie on the internet according to IMDbPro’s moviemeter. Twilight ranks higher than Sex and the City: The Movie, The Incredible Hulk, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Speed Racer, and even Indiana Jones 4. ***

And from Stephanie's website - Stephenie has been selected as one of TIME MAGAZINE's 100 Most Influential People of 2008!

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1733748_1733752_1736282,00.html

I can't wait to go see this in the theater with my daughter, it will be fun to have a girls movie day! I don't expect the movie to be anywhere near as good as the book but hopefully it will not be rotten (a la Blood and Chocolate) either. Sounds like they are trying to stay true to the book at least.

Linda
LizJ

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Twlight Movie Teasers Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I don't expect the movie to be anywhere near as good as the book but hopefully it will not be rotten (a la Blood and Chocolate) either. Sounds like they are trying to stay true to the book at least.

My hopes for a good film increased when MTV Productions dropped their option and Summit picked it up (I think Blood and Chocolate was from MTV).
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Twlight Movie Teasers Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I stopped by Stephenie Meyer's website to peek around for any updates and it looks like Twilight the movie is due to come out on 12/12/08! MTV has some great teaser clips here - 4 of them. No one looks like I picture them in my head of course, but I that tends to be the case with books to movies.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1585900&vid=226476

And a good informational article on here -

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/04/20/what-is-twilight-and-is-it-the-next-harry-potter/

Some tidbits that really surprised me, first from above article -

**Twilight is actually the 14th most searched movie on the internet according to IMDbPro’s moviemeter. Twilight ranks higher than Sex and the City: The Movie, The Incredible Hulk, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Speed Racer, and even Indiana Jones 4. ***

And from Stephanie's website - Stephenie has been selected as one of TIME MAGAZINE's 100 Most Influential People of 2008!

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1733748_1733752_1736282,00.html

I can't wait to go see this in the theater with my daughter, it will be fun to have a girls movie day! I don't expect the movie to be anywhere near as good as the book but hopefully it will not be rotten (a la Blood and Chocolate) either. Sounds like they are trying to stay true to the book at least.

Linda

Linda,

I loved this series of books and am so looking forward to the movie. It stinks that "Breaking Dawn" doesn't come out till August!!! And then the movie in DECEMBER! Arrggh!

I thought it was kinda funny to compare to Potter though. Potter sales (book wise) are a holy grail and even movie wise it will be hard to match. And just between us Wink -- I'd want the wand. Killing from a distance is the way to go.

maggie b.
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And just between us -- I'd want the wand.

LOL. My 14 year old daughter showed me a clip from YouTube where some of the actors from Twilight were discussing who'd win in a fight... They were being tactful though. I suppose with Edward being Cedric Diggory, they have to be polite.

She's looking forward to the movie immensely. Has the cast as her screensaver. (Last year it was the HP cast.) She's much more excited about theTwilight film than HP6.
I wouldn't be surprised if the new book has a Potteresque launch - they all seem to be reading the series. In point of fact, she was telling me that one of her friends has now read Twilight 14 times.

Funny thing, though, she doesn't seem interested in the new book that's coming out (has come out?) in May. I offered to pre-order it, but she wasn't bothered, because it wasn't set in the Twilight universe. Be interesting to see if it gathers the same buzz eventually.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:
And just between us -- I'd want the wand.

LOL. My 14 year old daughter showed me a clip from YouTube where some of the actors from Twilight were discussing who'd win in a fight... They were being tactful though. I suppose with Edward being Cedric Diggory, they have to be polite.

She's looking forward to the movie immensely. Has the cast as her screensaver. (Last year it was the HP cast.) She's much more excited about the Twilight film than HP6.
I wouldn't be surprised if the new book has a Potteresque launch - they all seem to be reading the series. In point of fact, she was telling me that one of her friends has now read Twilight 14 times.

Funny thing, though, she doesn't seem interested in the new book that's coming out (has come out?) in May. I offered to pre-order it, but she wasn't bothered, because it wasn't set in the Twilight universe. Be interesting to see if it gathers the same buzz eventually.

Is 'The Host' the book that she's not interested in? I don't blame her! I'm not really into the alien thing, I read an excerpt and it doesn't sound like my cup a tea and my daughter didn't seem that interested either though supposedly the reviews rave. I've read Twilight 3 times myself, I really do love those books and think they match and surpass much of the 'adult' romance novels out there. I hold out hope that the movie is at least decent..it's so hard to match a movie to a book.

Now I think the last Harry Potter movie is coming out at the Beginning of Dec so we'll have those back to back to look forward to! My daughter is into both series as well. She constantly re-watches the Harry Potter movies and has read all the books - though I think only once as they are more time consuming.

I had no idea the books were so popular but am glad to see Stephenie Meyer get some well deserved credit!

Somehwat off topic - Kelley Armstrong has a YA adult book coming out in July called The Summoning. It sounds pretty good, I'll pick it up so we both can try it.

Linda
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: the Host Reply with quote

Actually, I think the new Stephenie Meyer book, The Host, sounds interesting. I want to see how she resolves the issue of the alien invasion: Do the aliens eventually take over all the humans? Do the humans figure out how to fight back? How do Wanderer and her human host manage the love triangle? What does it mean to be human? I don't really want answers from someone on this board; I want to read the book to find out how Ms. Meyer deals with these issues and if it's any different from the various versions of "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

I'm also interested to see if she manages the transition from YA to adult fiction. Bella is such a teenager, and by the third book I wanted to shake her and say "you're almost 19, grow up!" It will be fun to see how Meyer handles an actual grown-up heroine (or two, as the case may be).
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Actually, I think the new Stephenie Meyer book, The Host, sounds interesting. I want to see how she resolves the issue of the alien invasion: Do the aliens eventually take over all the humans? Do the humans figure out how to fight back? How do Wanderer and her human host manage the love triangle? What does it mean to be human? I don't really want answers from someone on this board; I want to read the book to find out how Ms. Meyer deals with these issues and if it's any different from the various versions of "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

I'm also interested to see if she manages the transition from YA to adult fiction. Bella is such a teenager, and by the third book I wanted to shake her and say "you're almost 19, grow up!" It will be fun to see how Meyer handles an actual grown-up heroine (or two, as the case may be).

I saw The Host at Walmart yesterday and it's actually quite thick. I paged through it but..I don't know...that type of sci-fi just isn't my thing. However, I'd love to hear your review on it, please post if you can. :)

Linda
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Susan/DC wrote:

I saw The Host at Walmart yesterday and it's actually quite thick. I paged through it but..I don't know...that type of sci-fi just isn't my thing. However, I'd love to hear your review on it, please post if you can. :)

Linda

I just bought "The Host" and will let you all know when I finish. I hope it has that same readability that made the "Twilight" books go so quick for me. I have heard, though, that this is an adult book, which might explain some of the "Twilight" fans lack of interest.

maggie b.
Cyl

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: IMDB trailer Reply with quote

I am very much looking forward to this movie. Does anyone know if this the same trailer that is showing before Speedracer?

http://www.imdb.com/video/trailer/vi2380464409/

I don't know if I will read The Host or not.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

I just bought "The Host" and will let you all know when I finish. I hope it has that same readability that made the "Twilight" books go so quick for me. I have heard, though, that this is an adult book, which might explain some of the "Twilight" fans lack of interest.

maggie b.

Please do let us know. I'm very interested in reading the book but am not prepared at this point to pay hardback prices (partly just a general resistance to paying so much for a book before I know if I'll like it and partly because I'm still reeling from paying for car and cat repairs).
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:

Please do let us know. I'm very interested in reading the book but am not prepared at this point to pay hardback prices (partly just a general resistance to paying so much for a book before I know if I'll like it and partly because I'm still reeling from paying for car and cat repairs).

I absolutely loved it. Once I began the book I was completely absorbed.

The story is about Wanderer, a member of an alien species called Souls that inhabit other species, calling them hosts. When Wanderer reaches Earth she is surprised. Melanie, her human host, is very much alive so much so in fact, that Wanderer has a hard time taking over, the way she has in every other host body.

As the pages turn, (and they turn quickly trust me!) we get to know both characters very well and become truly attached to both. We also meet some other characters -- both human and soul -- who become important to the story. We see the good and bad in both species and the whole idea of hosting is explained in such a way that it does not wind up icking you out just too much. I gave the book DIK status for myself. I think if you enjoy Mayer's writing style and character building, you will really enjoy this book.

maggie b.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Susan/DC wrote:

The story is about Wanderer, a member of an alien species called Souls that inhabit other species, calling them hosts. When Wanderer reaches Earth she is surprised. Melanie, her human host, is very much alive so much so in fact, that Wanderer has a hard time taking over, the way she has in every other host body.

As the pages turn, (and they turn quickly trust me!) we get to know both characters very well and become truly attached to both. We also meet some other characters -- both human and soul -- who become important to the story. We see the good and bad in both species and the whole idea of hosting is explained in such a way that it does not wind up icking you out just too much. I gave the book DIK status for myself. I think if you enjoy Mayer's writing style and character building, you will really enjoy this book.

maggie b.

Maggie, thanks for your review! I'm not sure still if it's for me - the whole alien inhabiting another body thing...but maybe I'll just wait until it comes out in paperback. :)

Linda
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

maggie b.

Thank you so much for responding. I know what you mean about Meyer's writing, as once I began each of the Twilight books I read them in record time. I'm think she does such a good job of world building that I'm eager to see what she does for adults. However, I think I'll probably try to get this from the library or wait until it comes out in PB, as I'm still digging out of the hole from the garage and vet bills.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:

Thank you so much for responding. I know what you mean about Meyer's writing, as once I began each of the Twilight books I read them in record time. I'm think she does such a good job of world building that I'm eager to see what she does for adults. However, I think I'll probably try to get this from the library or wait until it comes out in PB, as I'm still digging out of the hole from the garage and vet bills.

My one quibble has been that this book is called adult. The scenes are by no means "hot" and the female characters are both young -- in their late teens. The male leads are in their mid twenties. So as far as adults go, I would put them in the very young range.

maggie b.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: the Host Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

My one quibble has been that this book is called adult. The scenes are by no means "hot" and the female characters are both young -- in their late teens. The male leads are in their mid twenties. So as far as adults go, I would put them in the very young range.

maggie b.

I can't believe it, I actually scored this book at my local library! I live in a very small town - our library is one room and limited only to really well known mainstream authors. I almost never find what I'm looking for there. Low and behold when I walked in there today it was on the 'new' shelf so I snatched it up. I still don't think this whole alien thing is for me but I'm eager to try it just because it IS Stephenie Meyer and I really like her writing. It feels great to be able to try without buying.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: