AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Recs: a shy, small boy turning into a man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vellorine

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Looking for Recs: a shy, small boy turning into a man Reply with quote

Lately I thoroughly enjoyed reading Jo Beverly's The Shattered Rose, and especially became impressed with the hero, Galeran. I liked his backstory, being a third son with not-so-impressive physique who grows up from a shy boy to a man with a strong will and a faculty for fair judgment. I admit that the book successfully spotted my secret liking of reserved, normal-bodied but internally strong men. I am wondering if there are other books featuring heroes like Galeran. I see "the beta heroes" in the special title listing but not quite sure if all of them fits into a Galeran-type hero. I would be also interested in short, slim heroes too :D

Please help! Thanks!
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that it's the same type of a hero, but Adrian in "Uncommon Vows" (medieval by Mary Jo Putney) is of a medium height and was going to be a monk until his older brothers were murdered and he had to become a lord instead.
xina

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of two titles now, but I'm sure there are more. I'll add more, if I think of any.
The Wish Club by Stella Cameron. When the hero is a little boy he is a pickpocket and homeless. A kind viscount adopts him and Max (the hero) starts a friendship with a farmer's daughter. They form a club together called, The Wish Club. Max goes away when he is a teenager (can't remember where..probably to a school) and comes home at 22. Good story...very sweet.
Another title is The Pillars of the Earth. It's an armful of book, but Jack (hero) starts as a very shy little boy who's friend it the heroine. At the end of the book (900 pages later...whew) he is a man who is a famous church builder.
Both heroes are slightly built too and Jack has red hair.
Schola

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I guess it comes close . . .

In No Rest for the Wicked by Kresley Cole, the hero is unusually shy and insecure. He has been in the shadow of his more outgoing and charming brothers all his life, so he at first has no idea how to win the heart of the tough, fierce and more sexually experienced heroine for whom he has fallen like a ton of bricks. He learns quickly, though, and she helps him see that he has grown up to be just as manly as his brothers.

It's a fun book, but it's Urban Fantasy, which is not everyone's cup of tea. Smile
Lucia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Carew's Bride - Mary Balogh

You won't be disappointed. Happy reading!
Schola

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I else I just remembered: Texas Tender by Leigh Greenwood.

The hero is the youngest in a large family, so he has gotten used to being babied and not taken seriously. No one is more surprised than he when he knocks out a mean drunk in a strange town and the residents there beg him to be temporary sherriff. So you have a coming-of-age story as well as a love story--and that also goes for the heroine. Smile
Trish B

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be very hard to find, but Touched by Fire by Kathleen O'Reilly may work for you (it's on my keeper shelf). It's about a boy who was the product of a rape. His biological father was a highwayman who attacked the carriage of an earl and his wife, raped the wife and she became pregnant as a result. To avoid scandal, the earl is forced to claim the boy as his son, but he really hates him and makes his life miserable. He grows into a young man who feels that he fits in nowhere and is uncomfortable even in his own skin. He is all too aware of what his true father was and worries that someday he, too, will hurt a woman and this makes him avoid his heroine, Sarah even as he is drawn to her. He's a very sweet character!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: