AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roses and Pigskin: Football for romance fans!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Roses and Pigskin: Football for romance fans! Reply with quote

This one goes out to Anu and Yulie.

Does anybody remember those great ESPN college football romance commercials? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0_EpF5SyY&mode=related&search=

Some really good games this weekend in college! I watched Ohio State-Purdue (I actually watched them live over the Internet on Sunday morning - time zones are so trippy) but I followed USC/Stanford and LSU/Florida pretty closely too. I can't BELIEVE that after losing to unranked Stanford, USC only fell to number 10!!! There are SO many better 1-loss teams than they are. They really get a break from the media.
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Rose Bowl the official bowl game of AAR, then?

The only game we had on TV was Washington State vs. Someone (Arizona, maybe?) and I just couldn't be bothered. My internet connection isn't that great so at most I can listen to the radio feed online, and it's just not the same.

I certainly shed no tears over USC! Am not sure Stanford's that bad, though. They certainly gave Oregon a run for their money a couple of weeks ago, and the Ducks aren't bad. And there have been so many crazy upsets it's hard to work out who should be ranked where. I guess all will be sorted out over the next few weeks.
anu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! A football thread!

I'm not much of a college fan, but I was pretty fascinated by the drama at the beginning of the season Re: Michigan and Notre Dame. I hail from the Big 10 (raised in Indiana, went to IU, brother went to Purdue), but I'd had no idea that Michigan's first two losses could knock them out of championship contention. College ball is nuts.

And ND, I want to see them fail because of Ty Willingham.

So now, to the extent that I'm following CFB at all, I'm vaguely rooting for Wash U, and enjoying ND's failure. Don't have much enthusiasm for Big 10 ball, as IU isn't in the mix. I did catch the USC/Wash game though, and man, they were a scary team! Washington gave them a good run, but couldn't hold out. And tho they lost to Stanford, the PTB love USC too much to let them fall far. Nana, are you a PAC-10 fan?

On the pro front

Oh my god, that Bills/Cowboys game last night was NUTS. It really exposed a lot of the Cowboys' vulnerabilities. While I'm not a big fan of the 'Boys, I was hoping they'd give the Pats a good and hard defeat next week. Now, I'm not so sure.

The Bears. My brother's favorite teams. Fascinating to watch a team collapse on all fronts.

The Colts. I haven't caught any of their games! I know only what I read on ESPN. I try to catch the games on ESPN's Gamecast, but Nana, is there a better way? You said you caught the Ohio St./Purdue game live online??
nikki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FOOTBALL THREAD! YAY!

i'm a 'boys fan, so that game last night was OFF DA CHAIN. i just knew they were gonna lose! i'm so glad they pulled it out at the last second.

wait...that didn't sound right...

i'm glad they were ultimately triumphant after penetrating the opponent's backfield.

wait...uh...

i'm just glad they won.

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
jebe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second and third that "Football thread! Yay" Whoohoo! I have a serious football problem. I'll watch any pro game, any time, any team. It's such a drama, I love it. And, sorry gals, but I was really hopin' those Bills would be able to keep it together til the end, they haven't had such a good run lately (make that years!) Guess I have to console myself w/the fact that the Yankees are goners!!! Yeehaw!
nikki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
I'll second and third that "Football thread! Yay" Whoohoo! I have a serious football problem. I'll watch any pro game, any time, any team. It's such a drama, I love it. And, sorry gals, but I was really hopin' those Bills would be able to keep it together til the end, they haven't had such a good run lately (make that years!) Guess I have to console myself w/the fact that the Yankees are goners!!! Yeehaw!

i am SOOO GLAD the yankees are out too, and i'm from new york. LOL

as for the bills, their offense sputtered. if not for the defense and special teams, the 'boys would have beaten them by a large amount. i mean, the offense only accounted for three points.

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
I have to console myself w/the fact that the Yankees are goners!!! Yeehaw!

Well, I say cheers to that, with the added benefit that it was the Indians who sent them home.

I still remember that really cool game back in the 1992 playoffs when the Bills came back from 35-3 down in the second half to beat Houston. That was fun, and I'm not even an actual Bills fan. Unfortuante that this time it was the other way around, I've never liked the Cowboys.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love football but have only been able to catch a few college games! Confused
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anu wrote:
Woohoo! A football thread!

And tho they lost to Stanford, the PTB love USC too much to let them fall far. Nana, are you a PAC-10 fan?

Perish the thought! I'm from Columbus, Ohio, and although I didn't go to Ohio State, that doesn't matter in Columbus. Big Ten, baby!

anu wrote:
I try to catch the games on ESPN's Gamecast, but Nana, is there a better way? You said you caught the Ohio St./Purdue game live online??

I have a Slingbox (http://www.slingmedia.com/) which will help you only if somebody who gets the game on their TV lets you set it up at their house. Mine's at my in-laws' house in Pittsburgh, which gets most Big Ten games. The slingbox transmits whatever's on the TV over the internet, which means that if you want to watch something in a different time zone, you also need a TiVo. Then you load the Slingbox on your computer, use the Slingbox to control the TiVo, and use the TiVo to watch the game. Video quality is kind of poor, but way better than nothing.
anu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Perish the thought! I'm from Columbus, Ohio, and although I didn't go to Ohio State, that doesn't matter in Columbus. Big Ten, baby!

Ohio St. is definitely representing Big 10 well. For now.;)

In pro football.

Saw the Broncos play the Steelers on Sunday night, a surprising game. I like Pittsburgh, and I'd never seen the Broncos play. It was a fun game, but disappointing to see Pitt lose.

The Colts won against the Jaguars last night, 29-7. They're now 6-0, which ratchets up expectations--not mention my nerves--for the Nov. 4 game against the Patriots. Not like they haven't been here before, but with this Pats team on horizon? Jeez.

ESPN's calling the game a fight between Good and Evil. Do we really need to do this? I mean, I definitely want to see the Pats go down, and at the hands of the Colts? I'd be over the moon. But everybody's jinxing it. And I'm really doubtful about the outcome. The Pats are obscenely good, I can't even allow myself to think of a Colts victory.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anu wrote:
ESPN's calling the game a fight between Good and Evil. Do we really need to do this? I mean, I definitely want to see the Pats go down, and at the hands of the Colts? I'd be over the moon. But everybody's jinxing it. And I'm really doubtful about the outcome. The Pats are obscenely good, I can't even allow myself to think of a Colts victory.

Anu, did you read the TMQ column that went with that heading? Because though I'm not a fan of either team, the part dealing with their upcoming game was pretty entertaining. He also argues that the Steelers-Broncos game once again proves his cold coach=victory theory.

I'm more interested in the college season, it's been crazy! I'm hoping for Oregon to keep doing well & hopefully end up in a BCS game (not saying more so as not to jinx them Smile ).
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

Anu, did you read the TMQ column that went with that heading? Because though I'm not a fan of either team, the part dealing with their upcoming game was pretty entertaining. He also argues that the Steelers-Broncos game once again proves his cold coach=victory theory.

Thanks for pointing me at that article... frankly, I think the outcome had less to do with the cold coach and more to do with refusing to run against a really mediocre run defense. Suffice it to say my husband is not easy to live with this week.

And yes, I think the Patriots' attitude is just disgusting. I suggest this song for anybody as sick of them as I am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EU1O-hGxgg

Come on, karma! Where are you???
bamagirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge college fan...All I can say is "Roll Tide."
jebe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a college football fan, I don't follow it at all, but I did get an opportunity recently to attend an Ohio State game. All I can say is: Holy Moly, they take their college ball seriously in that town! Smile

It was fun! But I'm more a professional girl and I like just about all the teams, except a few...Go Giants! They're my team du jour.
anu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply, Yulie! I read the ESPN article you mentioned, and I definitely rolled my eyes at it. I just canít find it entertaining anymore, as I think Iíve just read too much in the same vein (henceóIím taking a break from ESPN!). Itís just old to me by now.

And hey, if youíre not a fan of either team, you can still be a fan of the Colts for tomorrowís game! Think good Pats-defeating thoughts!

Nana, re: the Patriotsí attitude. Iím torn on this topic. I mean, otoh, I love to hate the Patriots. But, what are they supposed to do exactly? Theyíre killing all competitionóthatís their job. That other teams canít do their own job against the Patsóthatís not the Patsí fault. Itís not their job to show mercy to the losing team, or to be humble about it. I mean I guess if they were humble, it might make it sting less, but frankly, a blowout is the losing teamsí concern, not the Pats.

Does every non-Pats football fan want them brought down? Hell yeah. But somebody actually needs to step up and beat them for that to happen. Nothing else matters til then, imo.

As for me, itís hard to hope for more than a good showing from the Colts. Iím a realist (some choose to call me a pessimist), and I think that as good as the Colts areóand they would be the best this season if not for this particular Pats teamóNew England is just monstrous good this year.

Iíve got my hopes for tomorrowís game, but Iím happy that Iíll be watching it at a bar, with lots of alcohol on hand. Donít any of you be surprised if I post a long, whiny message tomorrow night!

Jebe, Ohio St. is insane about their sports.

To all you college fans, what is it about college ball that attracts you more than the NFL? Iím just learning about football, so I definitely have more enthusiasm than knowledge about the game in general. Iíve watched a few college games, but unless thereís a good story behind the game, I just canít get into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: