AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read - November 12 - January 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esskayel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton

I had never heard of Alice Clayton before, but I'm so happy I gave her a shot, because I absolutely loved this book!

The heroine, Caroline, moves into a new apartment and is repeatedly disturbed by the obnoxious sex happening in the next door apartment. She eventually gets fed up and angrily confronts her neighbor, Simon, leading to a period of irritation and very funny bickering/banter, followed by a sweet friendship and romance.

It's not the typical "I hate you, let's go to bed" scenario. Caroline is adamant that she will not be just another woman in his "harem," so although their conversations are often full of double entendres, they take their time getting to that step, allowing Simon to woo her.

I had a great time reading this book, it's been a while since I've enjoyed anything as much.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esskayel wrote:

I had never heard of Alice Clayton before, but I'm so happy I gave her a shot, because I absolutely loved this book!

I ordered Wallbanger after reading great reviews and some of the hilarious banter between H&h. I am going to move it up on my TBR pile:)
MMcA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's something very unusual. Vivian Roycroft, Scandal on Half Moon Street (The Scoundrel of Mayfair). It's an e-book, 99-cent Kindle edition.

I enjoyed it. Set in 1812, it think it's one of the few regency-set items I've ever read that didn't owe at least one major plot element to Georgette Heyer. Don't look for heavy breathing.

Thanks, veasley1 - I'd never have come across this if you hadn't recommended it. I thought, for the first few pages, I was going to hate it - imagined I knew where the story was going. If I hadn't been intrigued by your comment that it owed nothing to Heyer, I don't think I'd have read on, and I'm so glad I did.
I've no idea how long it is, but it read, I thought, more like a long short story than a book. And while there might not be much overt mention of Christmas, it's a properly Christmassy story.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished up Megan Mulry’s “A Royal Pain.” I went into this expecting a chick lit type book, but it isn’t quite that. In fact, it kind of evolves into a romance with chick lit elements, making it seem a bit schizophrenic, especially in terms of characterization of the lead. At times the heroine’s that cursing, drinking, fashion name-dropping girl you often find in chick lit and at other times she seems a bit deeper. Either way, I wasn’t sure I quite liked her as I really didn't get her “issues,” and her need to use the “F” word as a comma in her sentences.

In any event, the story involves a late twenties, successful American career woman who falls head over heels for a guy and follows him to a new city. It doesn’t work out which makes her very trepidatious regarding the next guy who comes along. Because of that skittishness, she puts limits on the new, *better* relationship with a 30-something Brit, and basically sets herself up for being disappointed in its development. The two part ways, but that’s not the end of the story … of course. The second half deals with the ramifications of their reunion, with some huge surprises she might have learned about if she hadn’t put the breaks on the relationship earlier. Vague enough? Wink Well, I won’t be spilling any spoilers by revealing – since it’s on the back cover – that one of the things the British hero “hides” is that he’s in line to inherit a dukedom, with all the responsibilities and perks that means for a modern day Duke.

Anyway, because I didn’t care as much for our potential Duchess, I gave the book a “B-“
Kayne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: THanks Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
esskayel wrote:

I ordered Wallbanger after reading great reviews and some of the hilarious banter between H&h. I am going to move it up on my TBR pile:)

Wow, This is such a funny book. Thanks so much for the rec. I am going to look up Alice Clayton's past work. Now its going to be hard to pick my favorite funny for the year between Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number and Wallbanger.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esskayel wrote:

The heroine, Caroline, moves into a new apartment and is repeatedly disturbed by the obnoxious sex happening in the next door apartment. She eventually gets fed up and angrily confronts her neighbor, Simon, leading to a period of irritation and very funny bickering/banter, followed by a sweet friendship and romance.

It's not the typical "I hate you, let's go to bed" scenario. Caroline is adamant that she will not be just another woman in his "harem," so although their conversations are often full of double entendres, they take their time getting to that step, allowing Simon to woo her.

I had a great time reading this book, it's been a while since I've enjoyed anything as much.

It sounds good. I am off to check it out.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Just finished up Megan Mulry’s “A Royal Pain.” I went into this expecting a chick lit type book, but it isn’t quite that. In fact, it kind of evolves into a romance with chick lit elements, making it seem a bit schizophrenic, especially in terms of characterization of the lead. At times the heroine’s that cursing, drinking, fashion name-dropping girl you often find in chick lit and at other times she seems a bit deeper. Either way, I wasn’t sure I quite liked her as I really didn't get her “issues,” and her need to use the “F” word as a comma in her sentences.

In any event, the story involves a late twenties, successful American career woman who falls head over heels for a guy and follows him to a new city. It doesn’t work out which makes her very trepidatious regarding the next guy who comes along. Because of that skittishness, she puts limits on the new, *better* relationship with a 30-something Brit, and basically sets herself up for being disappointed in its development. The two part ways, but that’s not the end of the story … of course. The second half deals with the ramifications of their reunion, with some huge surprises she might have learned about if she hadn’t put the breaks on the relationship earlier. Vague enough? Wink Well, I won’t be spilling any spoilers by revealing – since it’s on the back cover – that one of the things the British hero “hides” is that he’s in line to inherit a dukedom, with all the responsibilities and perks that means for a modern day Duke.

Anyway, because I didn’t care as much for our potential Duchess, I gave the book a “B-“

I didn't like it. I read about 100 pages, and then quit.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kind of Christmas | Robyn Carr

This was a typical Carr Virgin River story and I liked it. Only glitch is that they knew each other less than a month and that's just not enough time. But this is fiction land and anything is possible, as we've found out too many times. This story in some other author's hands may not have flown; Carr has a way.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esskayel wrote:

Thanks for the rec.

Someone on this thread said they'd recently read "I've Got Your Number" and I went to read & loved that one. I was definitely looking for a good, light hearted read to follow that one up.

Curious to know, though, if you knew that "Wallbanger" was originally a Twilight fanfic?
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh: C
My knee-jerk is to say I'm getting bored with this series, but I don't think that's necessarily the case. I do enjoy seeing what's happening with the PsyNet and the Council and the Psy in general. And I like the Changeling-centric books. Maybe I just didn't enjoy Riaz and Adria. Their introduction to the reader was particularly rough. Both seemed incredibly hard-assed, and they were brutal with each other. Then they...got over it. I dunno. Boiling hot one minute...everything fine the next. I just never felt particularly drawn to them as individuals or as a couple. I may read the next one in the series, but certainly not in hardcover. (I waited for the PB for this one; glad I did!!)

Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews: B
Intriguing world and characters, and I'm going to miss this series. I thought it wrapped up nicely.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esskayel wrote:

I am reading this now. It is a fun book!
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Secret to Seduction, Julie Anne Long (B+) - Having read and enjoyed all of her Pennyroyal Green books (some numerous times), I still have but a few of her earlier novels left unread. I find that Long has developed quite a bit as a writer and all for the better, and so her earlier novels are somewhat weaker for me. Not so with this book. This novel features a recurrent theme in Long's books of heroines that repress their sensual natures and learn to embrace their passionate sides as well as heroes with risque reputations that are essentially kind and loving. The fun part of the novel is watching this unfold. The underlying plot is fairly conventional in that a rake is drawn to a virginal miss and wants to experiment at a dull week-long house party to see how quickly he can have her capitulate to him. They are caught committing a misdeed and marry hastily. Rhys attempts to maintain his bachelor ways and keep his lovely young innocent wife, Sabrina, on the side. But that's a losing proposition to nearly everyone who observes them together, including the servants who, quite amusingly, do some maneuvering of their own to get Rhys and Sabrina together in wedded bliss. I found the love story itself here beautiful and sexy. Both Sabrina and Rhys have wonderful banter scenes, where they try to best each other. Aside from the one-upsmanship, I also so loved the point in the novel after their marriage when Sabrina stops Rhys mid-seduction to tell him very earnestly that she fears their relationship is one-sided because she finds that he "just takes". The shock on his part is priceless and eye-opening and the consequences play out wonderfully in his subsequent reflections on what it means to be a rake and what it means to have a truly loving marriage.

The downside to the novel for me, however, is the awkward intrusiveness of the mystery, in addition to the fact that I found I didn't care that much about it. I cared about it a bit more in Beauty and the Spy, the first in the Holt sisters trilogy, but it's been too long since I've read that book, and so much of the tension of solving Sabrina's heritage was gone for me by now. All in all though, a passionate and engaging book with two developed and likeable main characters.
esskayel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanalayla wrote:
Curious to know, though, if you knew that "Wallbanger" was originally a Twilight fanfic?

I had no idea! But I'm glad I didn't know beforehand, I wonder if it would have affected my enjoyment of it.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been catching up on Carla Kelly's backlist as it is being reissued in digital format. Recently finished The Lady's Companion and enjoyed it very much. This is really a character-driven story with people that were complex and interesting. I liked watching Susan and David's friendship and romance unfold; Susan's transition from her privileged background to that of being a member of the working class was well-defined and believeable. She was pragmatic about her future if she stayed with her aunt and father and chose to escape that kind of life. I admired her for that. David made no bones about who and what he was but was not afraid to pursue Susan, despite their differences in class. Despite his early life, he turned out to be a kind and honorable man. Lady B. was also an interesting character who played an integral part in the story. I look forward to reading more from her backlist.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica Sims: Desperately Seeking Shapeshifter

Grade: B- (The minus is for some annoying continuity gaffes and some questionable grammar and vocabulary choices.)

As I posted previously, this story is light-years better, IMO, than Sims' Beauty Dates the Beast. It's actually a fun, light read--great for those days when you're under the weather at home and just want a straightforward romance that won't tax your brain cells.

Sara (sister of Bathsheba, whose story is told in the previous book) tells the story, and I really enjoyed her POV. Once human, now werewolf (against her will), she struggles to come to terms with her new "animal" nature. And she lets us know just how hard that can be:

"I ran through the woods for an hour or two, until the wolf in me was so tired that I could barely think. To my shame, I ate a squirrel and rolled in some animal's crap in the woods."

See, these are the things you don't hear about with other shapeshifter books! Laughing

And believe me, the redneck werewolf pack in this book are a far cry from Nalini Singh's Snowdancers. If you loved Hawk Snow et al., wait until you meet the odious and obnoxious Levi, Maynard, and the rest of the Anderson clan. I enjoyed the contrast between these wolves and the complex and noble wolves of Singh's world.

On the other hand, also be prepared to hear Sara tell us ad nauseum how immense and big and enormous the hero, Ramsey, is. And how he talks in a low rumble. Note to author: After the first 10 or so times Sara mentioned how immense Ramsey was, and how he talked in a deep, low rumble, we got it. No need to keep reminding us. Same goes with Sara's cheek chewing--we get that she does that when she's trying to hold back. Can't you think of some other way to express her distress? Variety is the spice of life, yo.

The world-building aspect here is kind of sloppy to me. Sara's world includes were-animals of all types, fairies, vampires, and harpies. Huh? And the rules sometimes seem like they're being explained/made up on the fly.

Also, prepare for continuity gaffes. For example, in one scene, she says, "I made it to the bedroom, slipped out of my jeans and shoes, and fell into the bed." But when the hero joins her a little while later, she says, "...I caught his hand and forced it to my jeans-clad hip."

Finally--and this is a nitpick--how come Sara and Bath talk in contemporary language, while Ramsey (who has lived with the Russells since he was 15) still talks in a slightly weird quaint fashion (e.g., "Why do you wish to be with me?" instead of "Why do you want to be with me?")

All in all, the book had its problems but was still a fun and interesting read. I'd give the story itself a "B" but must tack on the "minus" for the issues I mentioned above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: