AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sex scenes like written by my gynecologist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Sex scenes like written by my gynecologist Reply with quote

make me prefer fade to black love scenes instead.

The new Linda Howard was pretty good but the love scenes were so ...sterile. And Howard used to write good sex scenes. Disappointing.

http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9247
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I have re-read any of her books especially her early ones like Dream Man. Reading it I kept thinking, I remember her books being a lot more steamy.

I did debate back and forth between a C+ and a B- but overall I did like it, and I am interested in the next stories, so I went with a B-. What grade would you give it?

What do you think of the antagonist?
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
It has been a long time since I have re-read any of her books especially her early ones like Dream Man. Reading it I kept thinking, I remember her books being a lot more steamy.

I did debate back and forth between a C+ and a B- but overall I did like it, and I am interested in the next stories, so I went with a B-. What grade would you give it?

What do you think of the antagonist?

I think I would have given it the same grade as you because I did like the romance and there actually was more romance than in Linda Howard books lately.

The antagonist was pretty scary. Stalkers are always scary and for one to have the kind of power this one had...

Though the scariest stalker type I have read lately was in this old Jenny Crusie book "Crazy For You": that guy and his single-minded focus on the heroine combined with his insanity scared the bejeezus out of me. I actually had a nightmare about that character where I dreamed he killed my dog.
janet w

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Howard has always had a clinical side imo Reply with quote

I do think her earlier earlier books were steamier but especially some of the standalone books set in jungles or the deep South -- when the sex was angry or the couple was new to each other, I personally thought the sex was pretty clinical, even sometimes reading uncomfortably. I have 15++ Howards on my keeper shelf so it's not like I didn't like those earlier books. Just saying.
Kayne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Howard has always had a clinical side imo Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Veil of Night by Linda Howard. I didn't see very much mentioned here about it and so it felt almost like a Hidden Treasure. It had great humor with the h being a wedding planner. I got a sample of Running Wild and decided to order it from my library. I am not so sure about her coauthored books. Her last one was a DNF for me (Blood Born).
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death Angel, which is a fairly recent Linda Howard book has a hot sex scene right at the beginning. And Jenny Crusie has some really sexy books, like "Welcome To Temptation" and the already mentioned "Crazy For You".

But if a writer just goes "penis A fits into vagina B" - well, I personally don't find that sexy.
erika

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've felt this way and rarely read thru sex scenes. Authors not building up sexual tension is the problem. Maybe also heroines being experienced, nothing new about having sex.
dick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the latest collaboration, but I rather liked "Blood Born," even though I don't usually care for paranormals. As in earlier works in whcih she used some paranormal elements, those in "Blood Born" were incorporated in such a way that a reader like me, who doesn't like the difficult to believe, could sort of slide by that element.
tuga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
Authors not building up sexual tension is the problem. Maybe also heroines being experienced, nothing new about having sex.

I agree 100% with this. It's one of the things that annoy me the most in romances... I think, in some cases, sexual tension is half the romance itself.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
I've felt this way and rarely read thru sex scenes. Authors not building up sexual tension is the problem. Maybe also heroines being experienced, nothing new about having sex.

I so agree with your comment. I rarely read the sex scenes anymore either since most add nothing to the plot or character development. So many of them read like a technical manual and are formulaic IMHO. I prefer chemistry, sexual tension, and romance outside of just sex. I find that I can enjoy a book as much or more without lengthy sex scenes.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
Sex scenes like written by my gynecologist

tuga wrote:
... I think, in some cases, sexual tension is half the romance itself.****

Tinabelle wrote:
So many of them read like a technical manual and are formulaic IMHO. I prefer chemistry, sexual tension, and romance outside of just sex. I find that I can enjoy a book as much or more without lengthy sex scenes.

I'm on the same page as all of the above. Probably the sexual element I appreciate most in a romance is between long time partners, like Jaime and Claire, or Eve and Roarke, where the emphasis is on intimacy, connection and a sort of coming home rather than on merely anatomy. That's real romance to me.
Lila LeCavalier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have to agree. I mean don't get me wrong, a good hot scene makes my day, but it seems like so many authors just sort of feel like they have to put in their time, give us the blow by blow {so to speak!} and there is just NO build up and NO tension at all.

I have to see some sort of growth in the characters' relationship, some sort of push/pull, or i just lose interest and wander away...
erika

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Harlequin Presents and they've gone downhill since authors have been devoting pages to the sex and not building the sexual tension.
I used to love Robyn Donald's Presents, she knew how to create jump off the pages chemistry and angst now its just clinical sex and a boring story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: