AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspense | Mystery Books Discussion II...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Suspense | Mystery Books Discussion II... Reply with quote

Just to make sure we don't lose this discussion (thanks, Lea, for reminding us), I'll begin it again with Maggie's last entry. And in response to it, I have to say that this series which is being discussed by a few readers has made it sound very interesting to me. I think once I finish the ...In Death series, I just may begin this one. There is also another series that has had quite a few responses which also sounds interesting. I think I may not run out of books to read this winter. Smile

From maggie b:
Just finished The Rivers Run Dry, book two in the Raleigh Harmon series. Liked it a lot. Need to work on some review books before I get to do book three. (sob!) I'm really enjoying the series. Can't wait till I am caught up.

Last edited by Tee on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bicycle Built for Murder
Kate Kingsbury

In WWII England Lady Elizabeth Hartleigh Compton is the "head" of her village Sitting Marsh. It is to her the locals look for guidance in these tough times. So it is no surprise that when a girl is murdered, her mother turns to Lady Elizabeth for answers. With her police force at war and their replacements less than eager to work, Elizabeth takes on the job of finding answers to what happened that fateful night.

This is a terrifice cozy series. I loved the put upon housekeeper, boy crazy maid and sweetly confused butler. A great cast of characters and clever mystery made this a fun, easy read.

maggie b.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already mentioned "The Anatomist's Wife" by Anna Lee Huber on the recently read thread. I'm mentioning it here as well, because I think it deserves it. It's a historical mystery set in Scotland, and despite it's being in first person, a POV I avoid like the plague, I was hooked by the first page. Its premise is an unusual one, which I think most of those who like mystery/suspense would enjoy.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death is in the Air
Kate Kingsbury
B+

I am struggling with whether or not to give these books DIK status. I am thoroughly enjoying reading them. I would recommend them as fun WWII mystery reads. But are they bordering on perfection or just tickling my palette? Tough call.

In this second installment to the series, Sitting March finds itself in something of a tizzy. A German airman has landed in their town and disappeared into the woods, an adventure eclipsed only by the murder that takes place that same night. Everyone is sure the Nazi did it except Lady Elizabeth. She has a feeling the frightened young man she caught a glimpse of would no more be a killer than she would. Determine to find the real culprit, she takes on the ivestigatio while trying to deal with a Major distraction.

The mystery in this one is sad and had a rather heartbreaking conclusion, imo. However, the real star is Elizabeth's blossoming relationship with American Airman Major Earl Monroe. I am eagerly awaiting my next volume from Amazon (not available in ebook alas) just so I can see what happens with them.

maggie b.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting such good recommendations from you, Maggie. Just picked up Against the Tide from the library, ordered the first two Manor House books from Amazon.
Minerva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Deanna Rayburn's Silent Night. It is a novella featuring Lady Julia. I'm not sure if I know what the purpose of the novella was. The mystery was very superficial. Somewhat disappointing.

I read The Anatomist's Wife and really enjoyed it. I agree with Dick, it was un-put-downable. I really like first person POV in mysteries. I keep guess what the other characters motivations are. I'm looking forwards to more sequels in this series.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
I'm getting such good recommendations from you, Maggie. Just picked up Against the Tide from the library, ordered the first two Manor House books from Amazon.

I hope you like them. I am fairly certain you will find the Manor House books to be to your liking. They are wonderful cozy English mysteries.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick and Minerva:

I've put The Anatomists Wife on hold at the library. Hopefully I will have it soon.

maggie b.
csmiley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on an Anne Perry William Monk kick! I have read all her Thomas and Charlotte but never the Monk/Hester series. Kindle offered the first three in a good deal and I am addicted!

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Aimee Leduc series by Cara Black that take place in Paris. 'Murder In The Marais' may be the first. Also the Charles Finch Victorian series with Charles Lenox.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva wrote:
I read Deanna Rayburn's Silent Night. It is a novella featuring Lady Julia. I'm not sure if I know what the purpose of the novella was. The mystery was very superficial. Somewhat disappointing.

I have to agree w/you on this. My reaction after reading it was, "Meh," and I am a big fan of Raybourn's work. I don't think it did anything to advance the whole Julia/Nicholas storyline or the characters. It seems like novellas are becoming very popular so perhaps her publisher encouraged a story. I enjoy novellas so it is not the format that I take issue wiith here. Like you said, the purpose was unclear.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorched | Laura Griffin

Haven't been reading any mystery books lately, so I was quite excited when Scorched by Laura Griffin came in from my library reserves. I've been enjoying Griffin, but was very disappointed with this one. The characters were from a former story, but I lost interest in them almost from the beginning. In fact, to me, even the story itself was boring.

There was a secondary set of characters whose relationship sounded interesting to me. Don't know if the next book will be about them, but I'm sure they'll be showing up eventually in upcoming ones.

Last edited by Tee on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:43 am; edited 2 times in total
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Deanna Rayburn's Silent Night a couple days ago. It was okay, but the mystery was ultimately a bit silly, which doesn't really fit with the rest of the series.

I'm currently listening to another "Christmas" mystery, Rhys Bowen's The Twelve Clues of Christmas. So far I'm quite enjoying it.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csmiley wrote:
I am on an Anne Perry William Monk kick! I have read all her Thomas and Charlotte but never the Monk/Hester series. Kindle offered the first three in a good deal and I am addicted!

I am a longtime reader/fan of this series as well as the Thomas/Charlotte Pitt series. IMHO, read in order for character development/relationships. The mysteries stand on their own, but the rest is best taken in order.

Anne Perry is a fantastic author - impeccable accuracy, multi-layered characters and plots. Love her!
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read Margaret Maron's latest: The Buzzard Table. This one is set in North Carolina. Sigrid Harald and her mother Anne are staying with Mrs Lattimore, Anne's mother and a distant relative of Judge Deborah Knott Bryant. The murder victim is a realtor, whose promiscuity may have led to her death. A possible suspect is Anne's visiting English cousin, who is writing an article about turkey vultures.

Maron always manages to provide an interesting mystery, but I find the regular cast of characters and their developing relationships even more engaging. I am glad that she has begun to reintroduce Sigrid and her cohort.

Kay
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Just read Margaret Maron's latest: The Buzzard Table. This one is set in North Carolina. Sigrid Harald and her mother Anne are staying with Mrs Lattimore, Anne's mother and a distant relative of Judge Deborah Knott Bryant. The murder victim is a realtor, whose promiscuity may have led to her death. A possible suspect is Anne's visiting English cousin, who is writing an article about turkey vultures.

Maron always manages to provide an interesting mystery, but I find the regular cast of characters and their developing relationships even more engaging. I am glad that she has begun to reintroduce Sigrid and her cohort.

Kay

Thanks for the reminder about this, Kay. I've really enjoyed Margaret Maron's last few books. I'm going to pick this one up later this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: