AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a Kindle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarbaraSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Buying a Kindle Reply with quote

I am sure this discussion has been previously discussed, but don't know how to search for it. I am thinking of buying a (gasp!) Kindle. There are so many models to choose from I got confused. My eyesight will need the larger screen, and I suppose getting one with the most memory would be good, but what other features should I look for? What is this Paperwhite (?) I saw advertised with a light? Don't all Kindles have a lighted screen? So I guess what I am asking is if you were going to buy a Kindle today, what one would you buy? What model? Thanking you in advance for your recommendations.

Oh, and what is the advantage of a Kindle vs. a Nook? Will they both accept the same ebooks?
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Kindle Reply with quote

BarbaraSD wrote:
I am sure this discussion has been previously discussed, but don't know how to search for it. I am thinking of buying a (gasp!) Kindle. There are so many models to choose from I got confused. My eyesight will need the larger screen, and I suppose getting one with the most memory would be good, but what other features should I look for? What is this Paperwhite (?) I saw advertised with a light? Don't all Kindles have a lighted screen? So I guess what I am asking is if you were going to buy a Kindle today, what one would you buy? What model? Thanking you in advance for your recommendations.

Oh, and what is the advantage of a Kindle vs. a Nook? Will they both accept the same ebooks?

Here is the old thread on Nooks and Kindles which might be of help to you.

To answer your questions:
1. Amazon has phased out the large-screen Kindle. To the best of my knowledge, you can't get a larger screen e-ink device at the moment. A tablet will be bigger but harder on your eyes, because the screen is backlit.

In your position, I'd just pick the device I like best (Kindle/Nook/Kobo/Sony) and adjust the text size so that it'll be easier for you to read. That's actually a huge benefit when you have an e-reader; my 88 year old grandfather has a Kindle keyboard and he manages quite well.

2. The Paperwhite is Kindle's newest model; you can read SBTB's review here. The screen is whiter and you can choose between several fonts. It comes with a built in light, which previous Kindles did not have. I don't know about other devices. Personally, I covet the Paperwhite and am considering buying one at some point, but I don't want to cheat on my existing Kindle, which works very well.

3. You will not be able to read Kindle books on your Nook or vice versa unless you convert the files to a different format. This usually requires stripping the DRM (digital protection) as well, which is not legal in some places.

4. Kindle advantages - note that I am most familiar with Kindles as that's what I have: Amazon has the best selection and prices most of the time, excellent customer service, very user-friendly, sync across devices (just install the Kindle app on your iPad/computer/phone), super-easy to order books. Disadvantages: does not read the industry-standard ePub file format, so you're pretty tied to Amazon unless you're willing to go through more of a hassle (and possibly illegal DRM-stripping).

Nook: The big advantage is that it reads ePub files, so you can buy anywhere, not just on B&N. That also means it would be easier to transfer the books to a different device (e.g. Sony) if you decide to switch in the future. I am less familiar with the Nook as it's not sold outside the US and I don't know anybody who has one.

5. To answeer your question from the other thread: just download a Kindle app for you iPad, or a Nook app, etc. You can buy e-books through your Amazon account or your BN account, respectively.

Bottom line: Getting an e-reader has been wonderful for me and I hope it will be for you. They're easy to use and allow you to access more books for less money. Most likely you'll be fine with whatever device you buy, so I would suggest going to the store and playing around with some devices to see what you like best. Or order one, and return it if you're not happy (oh, so easy to be a consumer in the US).

Happy reading!
BarbaraSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you "so" much for all this information. I will copy this to Word and print it off. So I can go to a store and check out the Kindle? Which format has the best selection of ebooks? Seems a shame one can't read any ebook no matter what device one has. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarbaraSD wrote:
Thank you "so" much for all this information. I will copy this to Word and print it off. So I can go to a store and check out the Kindle? Which format has the best selection of ebooks? Seems a shame one can't read any ebook no matter what device one has. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Google says you can find Kindles at Best Buy - and maybe Target? I'm not in the US so I can't say for sure.

I was in a similar position to yours a year and a half ago, about to get my first e-reader and with lots of questions. I'm glad I could help, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask - I'm sure others will be able to help if I can't...
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

Google says you can find Kindles at Best Buy - and maybe Target? I'm not in the US so I can't say for sure.

Just as an FYI, I don't think Target displays or carries Kindles anymore. They got upset when Amazon started encouraging potential buyers to try the device at their store but still buy from Amazon directly. I had heard Wal-Mart was going to follow Target's example, but not sure on that. As far as I know, Best Buy still carries them (but I haven't checked recently).
BarbaraSD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering do I even need a Kindle or Nook if I have an I-Pad? Can I get the same books for those readers on my I-Pad?
PatW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarbaraSD wrote:
I'm wondering do I even need a Kindle or Nook if I have an I-Pad? Can I get the same books for those readers on my I-Pad?

I think it's a matter of physical comfort - are you comfortable holding the I-pad for long periods of reading? I know some readers say the the lightness of their ereader is a major benefit.

You could certainly start by using the I-pad and change if you find you don't like its weight or you do not want to carry it to everyplace where you might want to be reading. I'm in the latter category - I want to be able to toss my ereader (I have a Sony) in my purse where a tablet computer is too big (my phone is too small).
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to buy a Nook just for reading the epub file format - just download Calibre (which is an excellent and free program for file conversion and organisation) onto your computer. With Calibre you can easily and quickly convert any epub file into .mobi (which is a format compatible with Kindle).

Good Luck!
PWNN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarbaraSD wrote:

No you don't require any separate reading device unless you want easier portability, longer lasting battery or an e-ink instead of an LCD screen. Some people find e-ink easier on the eyes, but for others LCD screens don't bother them. I read e-books my computer for years without discomfort (as I did for school and now work) before I bought a Nook because I wanted the portability.

With the I-Pad and most other tablets, smartphones or your computer you just download a free reading app/program from Amazon, B&N, Sony, Kobo etc. I have a Nook but still also have those programs on my computer.

IPAD reader apps:

Barnes & Noble:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-mobile-apps/379003593

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000490441

Kobo:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ipad

Sony:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reader-ebooks-from-sony/id566383171?mt=8
willaful

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
You don't have to buy a Nook just for reading the epub file format - just download Calibre (which is an excellent and free program for file conversion and organisation) onto your computer. With Calibre you can easily and quickly convert any epub file into .mobi (which is a format compatible with Kindle).

Only if the book is DRM-free or you strip the DRM -- a somewhat more complicated and questionably legal process.
PamelaM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kindle Keyboard with 3G and Wi-Fi. I live in a urban metro area and 90% of the time Wi-Fi is all I need. Two months of every year I visit a very rural home on a lake and love having the 3G option, rather than traveling to a Wi-Fi spot. When I travel, although Wi-fi spots may be plentiful, I usually just use 3G for the convenience. Just another option to consider if it is important to you.
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PamelaM wrote:
I have a Kindle Keyboard with 3G and Wi-Fi. I live in a urban metro area and 90% of the time Wi-Fi is all I need. Two months of every year I visit a very rural home on a lake and love having the 3G option, rather than traveling to a Wi-Fi spot. When I travel, although Wi-fi spots may be plentiful, I usually just use 3G for the convenience. Just another option to consider if it is important to you.

I just purchased and received my Kindle Keyboard with 3G and Wi-Fi. Didn't want to go to the touch as my original Kindle broke and preferred the keyboard. So far so good and thanks for the above tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: