AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our pets--sharing stories and photos...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nifty...so sorry for you and Bandit. Hang in there with you beloved friend and do what you can to make him comfortable. My thoughts are with you. Please keep us updated on Bandit's condition. *big hug to you* and your Bandit. Smile
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really sad after reading your post, Nifty. Who of us as pet owners haven't been down a similar yet different path than yours at one time or another? It brought back all sorts of memories to me. As caretakers of our pets, we do what is humanly possible for them. And that's what you're doing also. Listen to the doctors and realize when it's time to let go. It's never easy, but in your heart you will know that all along you intended only the best for him. Sometimes that best decision creates the most heartbreaking feeling in the world at the time. I know that all of us here on this thread will be thinking of you and Bandit. Please keep us informed.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Listen to the doctors and realize when it's time to let go. It's never easy, but in your heart you will know that all along you intended only the best for him.

Thanks, Tee (and everyone). I made the observation to myself yesterday that my vet really did not offer advice. I think in his position, he has to be adept at listening to his human customers and intuiting their state of mind. Are they resistant to the diagnosis, fighting it, determined to try one more test because they just can't bear to let go? If so, I think he tells them what their options are, what course of action they can explore next. Or are they accepting of the dog's fate, resigned to his death (likely due to euthanasia) in the near future? If so, I think my vet goes down a different path and tells them what he can do to ensure good quality of life for the dog's remaining days/weeks/month.

When we were there in October, he told me that he thought Bandit would respond well to the chemotherapy, if indeed this turned out to be lymphoma. But the problem, as I see it, is that we STILL haven't arrived at that diagnosis for certain. We THINK it's lymphoma, but before we put him on chemotherapy, we have to do more tests so that we can be CERTAIN. Tests take time (and money). And the tests we're doing are not always yielding a definite diagnosis. Like with the needle biopsy. It clearly said, "NO LYMPHOMA." Yet here we are. In the meantime, as we explore test after test and wait for outcome after outcome, Bandit's condition worsens. And until we land on a DEFINITE diagnosis of lymphoma, my vet is not willing to use Prednisone because it can mask the symptoms of the lymphoma...which means the tests could continue to give false negatives. Meanwhile, Bandit continues to starve and waste away. So it's a vicious circle.

Today Bandit looks truly pitiful. He's lying on the floor about 5 feet away and he just looks like he's marking time. That' all. And every once in a while, his back right leg jumps. I have no idea what that's about, but I started noticing it yesterday. It's like hiccups in his leg. I gave him his prednisone dose today, but he's still not eating. He ate a little last night, so I was hopeful that it was already working, but evidently not. Still...we'll give it a few more days. The vet said that he thought by Tuesday, Bandit would be eating well. If Friday rolls around and he's not eating, well, then...I guess our trip to the Bridge will come way sooner than I expected.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope he's doing better today Nifty. Keep us posted. I've been thinking about you and Bandit.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Nifty, I just saw this post, I'm so sorry you are Bandit are going through this. How's he doing today? Sometimes when a pet stops eating they are trying to tell you it's time, it sounds like you've done everything you could and, whatever happens it's obvious Bandit didn't want for a loving home.

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, everyone. Bandit's hanging in there. Eating a little bit every day, although not very much. I couldn't even begin to estimate his calorie intake, but I'm sure it's no where near what it needs to be. The only things he's eating with regularity right now are Pupperonis and -- get this -- vanilla ice cream. Okay, whatever. As long as it has calories.

I am NOT going to euthanize him this weekend. However, I do think it'll be soon. He's not responding to the Prednisone the way he should be, which makes my vet think that this is a particularly vicious case of lymphoma.

But I started my vacation today and don't have to go back to work until November 26. So, excepting tomorrow -- I'm going to a Twilight marathon with my boss -- I will be able to be with him 24/7 for several days. That's a blessing. We're spending T'giving with my brother and SIL, who own Bandit's daddy. (Who is 12 and seems to be trucking healthily along.) And I've been sending my mom regular updates.

This Saturday, my two best girlfriends are going to hang with me and Bandit. I don't have any pictures of the two of us together, so my friend is going to play photographer, and I asked my other friend to come with us. We're going to head to the off-leash park and a couple other places. Basically, I hope to spend some time outdoors, since that seems to make Bandit happiest, and the weather is nice and cool, which is tolerable for him. I thought I would also have Rita take a shot of Bandit and me by the sign at my vet's practice, and then send it to him as a card of thanks for all the years of great care. (Bandit is epileptic and had another issue a few years back, and I am VERY proactive about his medical care. His file is about an inch thick!! I used to joke to my vet -- especially as we were dealing with that other issue -- that I was trying to get a journal article out of it for him.)
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
Thanks again, everyone. Bandit's hanging in there. Eating a little bit every day, although not very much. I couldn't even begin to estimate his calorie intake, but I'm sure it's no where near what it needs to be. The only things he's eating with regularity right now are Pupperonis and -- get this -- vanilla ice cream. Okay, whatever. As long as it has calories.

I am NOT going to euthanize him this weekend. However, I do think it'll be soon. He's not responding to the Prednisone the way he should be, which makes my vet think that this is a particularly vicious case of lymphoma.

But I started my vacation today and don't have to go back to work until November 26. So, excepting tomorrow -- I'm going to a Twilight marathon with my boss -- I will be able to be with him 24/7 for several days. That's a blessing. We're spending T'giving with my brother and SIL, who own Bandit's daddy. (Who is 12 and seems to be trucking healthily along.) And I've been sending my mom regular updates.

This Saturday, my two best girlfriends are going to hang with me and Bandit. I don't have any pictures of the two of us together, so my friend is going to play photographer, and I asked my other friend to come with us. We're going to head to the off-leash park and a couple other places. Basically, I hope to spend some time outdoors, since that seems to make Bandit happiest, and the weather is nice and cool, which is tolerable for him. I thought I would also have Rita take a shot of Bandit and me by the sign at my vet's practice, and then send it to him as a card of thanks for all the years of great care. (Bandit is epileptic and had another issue a few years back, and I am VERY proactive about his medical care. His file is about an inch thick!! I used to joke to my vet -- especially as we were dealing with that other issue -- that I was trying to get a journal article out of it for him.)

Enjoy your time with Bandit Nifty! What a lovely idea for a card to send your vet, I'm sure they would appreciate the gesture.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...enjoy this time with him Nifty. It sounds like he has a really great Mom and a wonderful life. Big hugs to you and Bandit.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cool is this contraption for people who own pets and can't be home 24/7 to monitor some fussy eating habits. You can control the amount of food they get by the hours and all by phone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/serve-your-dog-dinner-your-phone-smart-feeder-1C7164322

And, Nifty, how is Bandit doing? I'm taking care of my daughter's dog and two cats while they're away. Her dog is not well, especially when she freezes with the arthritis. When that happens, I think of you and Bandit, even though the ailments are not similar.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
How cool is this contraption for people who own pets and can't be home 24/7 to monitor some fussy eating habits. You can control the amount of food they get by the hours and all by phone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/serve-your-dog-dinner-your-phone-smart-feeder-1C7164322

And, Nifty, how is Bandit doing? I'm taking care of my daughter's dog and two cats while they're away. Her dog is not well, especially when she freezes with the arthritis. When that happens, I think of you and Bandit, even though the ailments are not similar.

That is really useful Tee. Hard to believe we can feed our pets with our phone these days...LOL! As for the camera...I've always wondered what my animals do when I go. I suspect the dogs camp out at the window and watch for my return, and sleeping when that becomes boring. The cat...I don't know. She probably just watches the birds and squirrels out by the feeder. Kitty entertainment.

And yes...Nifty, I have wondering about Bandit too.

Tee..my 10 yr. old Beagle has occasional arthritis. I have a prescription from the vet that is a doggie Advil. It seems to help on that rare times he seems to be limping. I have a feeling it will only get worse as he ages.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking. Bandit is...mysterious.

He vomited yesterday and today. Yesterday it was just heaves and no content; today it was the yellow liquid they will vomit when their stomachs are empty.

Yesterday he didn't eat anything, and that was very sad and depressing for me. Today he has eaten more: I made him bacon, he's eaten some cookies/treats, he just gobbled up 4 Chick-fil-a nuggets.

We went to the dog park yesterday and he was bright-eyed bushy-tailed: head up, tail up. A real spring in his step. But he comes inside and goes into the guest room to lie down in a depressive funk.

He's been jumping up on my bed lately, which is a welcome occurrence, because he'd not been doing that for a while.

AND I took him to a local vet (not my own) today to throw him on their scale, and he weighed 64.0 pounds. This is amazing to me, because he weighed 63.8 on November 9, and I would not think that he has eaten enough to maintain his weight. Maybe their scale is just calibrated differently than my vet's scale, but I choose to believe the vanilla ice cream and bacon are working!! Very Happy

So, like I said: Bandit is mysterious. I honestly can't say how he's doing. Holding steady, I guess. Which is fine by me!! I'll take it! I wish it weren't such a struggle -- or so hit-or-miss -- getting him to eat, but so far, he's doing okay.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty, glad to hear Bandit is holding steady for now and you can enjoy more time with him!

I just found out our pug Lucy has the mange, I can't believe it. *sigh* Not contagious they said, somehow it comes from the mother and has something to do with the immune system. So it will be 4-6 months of antibiotics they say.

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-6 months of antibiotics?! Yikes!
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I just found out our pug Lucy has the mange, I can't believe it. *sigh* Not contagious they said, somehow it comes from the mother and has something to do with the immune system. So it will be 4-6 months of antibiotics they say.

Wow, Linda, and just a couple of years ago you went through a bout of illness with Ranger that required extensive rounds of medicine. Hope everything works out well with Lucy, too.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Wow, Linda, and just a couple of years ago you went through a bout of illness with Ranger that required extensive rounds of medicine. Hope everything works out well with Lucy, too.

Yeah, it always seems to be something. It took two years if treatment to get Ranger through Lyme. One of our cats has diabetes and needs insulin twice a day and now the mange with Lucy. Gah! Our vet bill is through the roof but lucky for us they take payments. My husband is saying no more animals, haha.

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: