AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts Reply with quote

I was looking forward to this last book of the Boonsboro Trilogy and while I wasn't totally disappointed, it didn't really live up to what I was expecting.

Ryder was my favorite character probably because he had a nice bit of snark to him so I thought his romance with Hope would have much more 'snap, crackle, pop' than it did. As it was, Ryder and Hope seemed to slide into their relationship with far less snap and crackle than you'd expect from these two characters.

I felt there was still a bit too much inn-reno details and I could have done without the ghost element.

It could be that I recently reread Rafe McKade's story [from the McKade brothers trilogy] and I found Rafe's story to be almost a clone of Ryder's [gruff-jeans-and-tool-belt guy with classy girl plus B&B reno haunted by a ghost] but Rafe's romance with Regan had the kind of sizzle and burn that I was expecting from Ryder and Hope.

Still, overall, I found it more enjoyable than The Next Always or The Last Boyfriend.
goldberry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first book didn't inspire me enough to read book #2, so I'll wait until my TBR list clears out a bit (hah!) and then read book #2.
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldberry wrote:
The first book didn't inspire me enough to read book #2, so I'll wait until my TBR list clears out a bit (hah!) and then read book #2.

I probably would've given up after the first book but I got a girly crush on Ryder so I wanted to read his story Smile

I just wish Nora had cut out the entire ghost angle to give a little more room over to write the relationships. Oh well lol.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts Reply with quote

CharlotteJ wrote:
It could be that I recently reread Rafe McKade's story [from the McKade brothers trilogy] and I found Rafe's story to be almost a clone of Ryder's [gruff-jeans-and-tool-belt guy with classy girl...

Happy Ever After: gruff auto repair shop guy with classy girl.

Best,
Lilly
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting it from the library and I really not that anxious for it.
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so sad to hear. I was a huge Nora Roberts fan back in the day. Couldn't get enough of her. But after so many reads I finally couldn't get through a book as it became formulaic for me. Then the trilogies and magic stuff just lost it's thrill. Never got into the JD Robb stuff. Loved her earlier works like Honest Illusions - Sweet Revenge - Montana Sky.

But I'm always waiting for some great feedback on a book to force me to get it again. I will always appreciate the many times I delved and couldn't put down her books. But it's just something I can't seem to do now.
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
That's so sad to hear. I was a huge Nora Roberts fan back in the day. Couldn't get enough of her. But after so many reads I finally couldn't get through a book as it became formulaic for me. Then the trilogies and magic stuff just lost it's thrill. Never got into the JD Robb stuff. Loved her earlier works like Honest Illusions - Sweet Revenge - Montana Sky.

But I'm always waiting for some great feedback on a book to force me to get it again. I will always appreciate the many times I delved and couldn't put down her books. But it's just something I can't seem to do now.

I love Nora's older books too. Honest Illusions, Black Hills, Carolina Moon, Angel Falls---all of those are my favourites. The Search was really the last book that I enjoyed completely.

I didn't care for Chasing Fire. The Witness was better. And anything with witches, devils or ghosts, I skip over those parts.

Nora has another new book coming out next year called Whiskey Beach so I hope that's worth reading.
Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading it right now. Something that seems to have gotten worst over the years is the dialog between the friends - sometimes it is great but other times it the same old thing - like shopping or a spa. But with this book I am amazed how young the woman sound. Hope and what ever his name kiss and one of the friends is like oooh, were tongues involved. They sound 14 years old. With my friends I always discussed what the boyfriend of the moment said or did. I might say we were laying in bed, when he put his arm around me and said I love having you here - or he was cool in the morning like he couldn't wait for me to leave - - etc and then everyone would analyze his actions - it means this or no it means this.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Nora and technology - lol? Reply with quote

Is is just me or does anyone else find this funny? For someone who writes futuristic books (In Death), she is way behind the times with present-day technology: Hope is fanatically organized, like Owen - as NR tells us a hundred times - so she emails herself reminders so she can make a list on her desktop computer. Nora, have you heard of an iPhone? And the hundreds of organization apps? People makes lists on phones now using apps like my favorites, Evernote and Grocery Gadget, which sync between the phone and computer. Seriously, Hope would not have to run up the stairs all day long if she'd just get an iPhone. And, Owen, you can do online Post-Its. I am at least a generation older than the characters here, and I use these apps.

I know this seems nitpicky, but it's one of those things that takes me out of the story b/c it's mentioned repeatedly and it's so out-of-date, especially for twenty-somethings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: